How would you move....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Ford4dog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you move....

...a piano?

Long story but I am looking at some pianos, most are uprights, but one is a baby grand piano. How would something this big and heavy be moved? Are professionals the right option for this? My first thought was "I have a truck I can haul it" my second was "How the fudge do you get it in the truck". Its a short move, Smyrna to Murfreesboro, but the "how" has got me.

Anyone been there done that on this?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 PM
BubKz
New User
I would have to recommend pro's on this one. Too easy to do seriously expensive damage. I've seen a truck in the 'Boro that's a professional piano mover, but can't recall the company. A family outfit, I believe.

- Kz

Old 03-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to say either BONDED professionals, or a local musical instrument shop that delivers such things. The second choice being the better of the two options - because they know damn well what is involved!

An ordinary moving company (BONDED OR NOT) would have zero clue how to deal with it - and would be making it up as they went.

People who deal with that specifically would be the best to get it there without damage.

Otherwise you might just as well heave it up on a trailer and hope the legs don't break, much less arrive far out of tune.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
lwfox002
Elder User
I moved an upright on a low enclosed trailer. Had plenty of help to load and unload. Tied it to the side securely. If it was a grand or baby grand I would get professionals to move it.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
I helped a friend move an upright some years ago. It can be done with at least 4 strong men. I loaded it with 2 women and 1 old man (the giverawayer) and unloaded it with the same 2 women and another stout man. There is a sound board in pianos that is under a lot of tension. If it is dropped, I've heard that the thing could go off like a bomb.