Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Is it bad being a college student with an 04 L

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
MaLLoF150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is it bad being a college student with an 04 L

i just want to know because i get harassed just about everyday around town well just columbia county which is in evans, Georgia..i just have to get this off of my chest but is it something that black people cant own a L?? i mean im 19 years old black male and i bought the truck myself..i got a ticket saying i was racing like not even a month i had the truck..cops said it sounded like i was racing!! i go to court on march 6 again..but anyways i just recently had to take the tint off of my truck on the side windows because i would get pulled over just about everyday..but its funny because it was other trucks next to me with darker tint and they didnt get pulled over..oh and another thing is i had my windows down in the first place..yeah i just dont get it man..sorry for rambling on but i just had to get this off of my chest some..it hurts me because i havent seen all of life yet and if its like this for me its gonna be HELL..excuse me for that...another funny thing is that a columbia county cop owned my vehicle before me and he had the illegal tint and whatnot and he didnt get harassed and yeah he was white..so its really funny to me because everybody i talk to say i should file a complaint but its not going to do any good i think..it was was the samething in my other ford truck..im scared to put rims on my truck now because they already think im a dope dealer..but my mom and dad say as long as you know your not doing anything wrong thens its nothing to worry about..but thanks for taking the time to read if you did

Old 03-04-2008, 06:36 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Sorry to hear about that man! I agree with your parents. If you're not doing anything wrong, and it sounds like you're not, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The racial profiling continues on to ageism as well. I'm 19 and own a new Tundra and my buddy has a black V6 Mustang with dark tints, almost as dark as the paint. He got pulled over in his neighborhood and got a speeding ticket.

Later that day, his dad, in a white Porsche with even darker tints drove through the same area and didn't get pulled over.

I guess I should rephrase - it's also about the car you're driving. An '04 L will draw a lot of attention. I know I look at them every time I see them. Unfortunately cops see something that stands out and will profile, be it if they think a teen is driving a car (like my friend and his mustang) or by race. Unfortunately that's the way it is. I bet had his dad been driving the 'stang he woulda gotten out of the ticket. Likewise, a cop doesn't expect a 19 yr old kid to drive a '93 Porsch.

-rockstate

Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Oh yeah, sick L! I like it.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
MaLLoF150
Freshman User
thanks man i appreciate it..but you know you're always gonna have a butthole cop and dont get me wrong because there are a lot of cool cops but it just really depend on the mood they are in..also my truck is what everybody says around town is that it is LOUD..but yeah its sad that we still have the racism but people arent going to change..people are gonna be people lol

Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
lablue96
Senior User
nothing wrong with having a 04 L you just have good taste, some people don't get it. funny story i'm hispanic (read Mexican) and me and my buddy (also hispanic) were driving last summer in his 99 f-150 with the windows half way down and he also got a ticket because of the tinted windows, my friend being the smart *** he is asked the cop if it was the windows or him that was to dark, the officer didn't like that at all so he made sure to give him a ticket not just a warning... i think it was $80 don't remember real good. any way sorry it hapened to you too. good luck in court

Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MaLLoF150
thanks man i appreciate it..but you know you're always gonna have a butthole cop and dont get me wrong because there are a lot of cool cops but it just really depend on the mood they are in..also my truck is what everybody says around town is that it is LOUD..but yeah its sad that we still have the racism but people arent going to change..people are gonna be people lol
Man, I agree. Cops from my home town are such d*cks. People get pulled over for doing like 5 over and they do the sneakiest tactics to get the people. Thank goodness for my V1. However, I did get pulled over once back home for something stupid and I guess I handled it well and got away without anything but a verbal warning. I needed a new change of underware though.

Down here at school I got pulled over for doing a fat burnout and since it was late at night and I wasn't drinking (or smoking - my eyes get really red at night) he let me off with a stern verbal warning.

Nothin wrong with a loud truck

What exhaust you got on there? Runnin Borla myself on my Tundra.

-rockstate

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Hey, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. If the judge asks you about the exhaust or your tint, just tell him it was that way from the cop you bought it from. Use his name because I'm sure the judge will know him and maybe give you a break. It does suck that we still have profiling. Even in the Detroit area, I have friends that get pulled over for no reason in the suburbs just because of their color.

Your parents are right, people with integrity expect to be believed and when they're not, time will prove them right!!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck, when I was a teen I got pulled over all the time... loud pipes on the car... sounded like I was doing 80 at 30mph... then it just kinda stopped... no loud pipes, no tickets... I turned 30 and cops just don't seem to care.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Its not you. Your truck is a cop magnet. I went 10+ years without ever being pulled over. Since I got the Roush F150 - 4 times in 18 months.

Don't give them even a slight reason and they'll leave you alone -- its worked for me.

1. Legal tint.
2. Legal pipes.
3. Legal speed.

Being young doesn't help. That's more of an issue than being black, IMHO. I've had more than one cop let me go, telling me its not me (40 years old) they are worried about, its the young kids who see it and do it themselves, but don't know where to draw the line. Cops target the young more because statistically the young are more likely to kill or get killed in a vehicle.

Age helps a lot. I got a warning for 120 in a 70, on radar.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 03-05-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find it pretty hard to believe that it's just the truck, especially when you say the same thing happened in your last truck. I have two trucks that I drive, both are in my sig. Both have longtube headers and exhaust and are about equally as loud. I've never had a cop even look at me in the L and I get pulled over regularly in the other truck.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:40 PM
MaLLoF150
Freshman User
i appreciate all of the feedback folks..but i have flowmaster exhaust for the guy that wanted to know..but yeah..the reason im going to court is because they said i was racing just incase you didnt know..i'm not going because of the tint or the exhaust..this event happenned december 28, 2007 lol..looooooooooooong friday night..i didn't give it much gas..but i think i might take the flows off or something because its crazy to get in trouble for stupid stuff..also that night i got arrested..cops said because of my age they had to arrest me..so my mom and dad came up there and i had a bond of $1100..and tomorrow i have court at 10 am..i'm going to have to pay out atleast $800 to the judge..also i believe i will lose my liscense tomorrow also because the night i was locked up the cop said they will be taken away..but they will have to give me a permit of some sort to drive to work and school hopefully..if they dont then im just screwed for a good while..messing up my life..but i know i'm innocent but all i can say is that i was not racing..any ideas to say because my mind is just like blank right now..i'm scared lol

Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
My advice is you should consult an attorney. Its well worth it. I've personally found that its better get an attorney and let him worry, than not have one and drive myself sick with worry.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
MaLLoF150
Freshman User
I have a attorney..but i'm still worried lol..i have 12 hours before i step foot in that courtroom ahhh man

Old 03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
MaLLoF150
Freshman User
Smile UPDATE on the court issue

i went to court this morning and i get to keep my liscense..but the catch is that the judge said if i get one traffic offense ticket in one year the effect for the racing will take effect and i will lose my liscense for a year..but i have learned my leason with this truck..i think the biggest thing that caught the judge eye was that i am a full time student and i am a full time worker..also i have nothing on my record anyways for speeding or whatnot for the past years..but thank God for keep blessing my hard headed behind lol

Old 03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Good to hear! Get yourself a hidden radar detector now, and if you're gonna play do it away from the city! At least you got a reasonable judge, I think most of them (judges) are good intentioned people, its the rotten apples we hear about most!

You might do better over here in Atlanta. I got pulled over once by a black Dekalb county cop (I'm white). He was coming on to the expressway just as I zipped past the ramp at 90. Pulled me over and ended up having a great talk about if my truck was faster than a Lightning and then he let me go with a verbal warning. Cops out here, white and black, tend to be pretty nice guys (though I'm sure there are some rotten ones).

Every time I've gotten pulled over I was 100% polite, very respectful, and I admitted right off the bat that I was being stupid (I don't say "yeah, I was doing 90", but "yes sir, I was being stupid."). I think they appreciate it over what so many people give them....

Quick Reply: Is it bad being a college student with an 04 L