South Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SC_Hoaty

Selling something to my Dad...opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:54 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling something to my Dad...opinions

This is going to be a long post but maybe I can get some good advice.

Here goes...
My dad wants to buy a 79 F250 4wd from me. I have $500 in the truck itself. (rusted out body and rolling frame on 35" tires) I also bought a 10000% rust free dent free ding free cab bed fenders hood tailgate doors from Arizona. This is the most perfect body Ive seen on a 79. DA sand it and maybe a skim in some spots with glazing putty and prime it. I paid $1000 for all of that. He wants everything to complete the truck including all the hard to find race track chrome and styleside chrome NOS grill surround and center chunk among many other NOS and real nice used parts to complete the truck. All of these parts Ive collected over the years so I really dont have a $ amount that I paid for them or really what they are worth but a close guess would be in the $2000 range maybe more. I get the D44 front and D60 rear back thats in the truck and I give him my D44 front and D60 rear that both have 4.56 and detroit lockers. I value that at about $1000.

Now...
Its my dad who wants it not some guy answering an add on craigslist. When he first asked me about it I thought a minute and said "dad if you want it its yours" but he said he wants to pay me. My second offer was then buy me a fifth of Crown Royal XR (roughly $180). He wont accept that either.

Here my third offer..
I need a set of Trick Flow Streets for my new engine. I dont want cash money to be exchanged between me and my dad. What do you think about either
A- buy me the bare heads $1300
B- buy me the complete heads $1900
C- buy the complete heads and roller rockers $2150

I want to give him a fair price. Its a touchy deal because me and my dad are close and I dont want the option I give him to hurt his feelings.

Hopefully my ramblings made sense.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:41 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
This is tough...

At first... I would think of doing a cash offer- then turning that around and buyin' him a 1000$ (truck part?) gift for....
being simply Dad...

But this doesn't seem to be a "polite" option...

Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Yeah its a tough one.

I could do that but the thing is pretty much complete. It might need a few trinkets but nothing substantial.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a tough one but if it were me and he insisted on paying i would go with either B or C.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 AM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
B or C seem fair.

Im going with B and Ill let you know what he says. If he wabbles a little more or less I have a higher and lower option. I wont take more than the heads and roller rockers. Its just not worth more than that. Seperately yeah but not together.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 AM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
While you have the stuff, if he has the jack to buy the stuff AND (as is obvious) is a man of principle, it is MORE respectful of his beliefs IMO to do a fair exchange.

I'd go with Option C, promptly install it, and show him how much you enjoy it. You can also help build the truck with him so it doesn't sit waiting to be done. Since the whole thing isn't about money, make it about building a kickass truck with him.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:16 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
First off I want to say Im 27 and Ive worked for everything Ive ever had and nothing has come easy just because my dad has money. It hasnt been a bad life by any means but I dont ask for handouts. Im not some highschool kid who's expecting everything they want on a silver platter. I dont know why but sometimes I feel a statement like that is necessary when talking with people through text. You are all my friends but at the end of the day we dont know each other: what kind of person we are or what we stand for. When I show people my car and trucks I feel like I am being silently judged and thats not what I want.

All that being said.

My dad cares nothing about doing the work himself. I hate it with a passion but hes just that type of guy. Nothing he owns is half way restored and was all done by a guy in Conway. Hes working on a Thunderbolt clone now.

He doesnt like the idea of changing something from stock form. He griped a little when he found out I was putting a 460 in a 79 F250 4wd and that wasnt a factory motor option (yeah hes that type of guy). Now the trouble is he doesnt want me to put aluminum heads on the truck because...you guessed it...not factory.

Ive pretty much nix-ed the whole idea of trade and just going straight for cash ($1500) Its fair for both of us.

All in all Id rather give it to him. Its not like he hasnt/wouldnt give(n) me anything I wanted that he had.

I guess the older I get the more wise I become. Peoples feelings and good business practices become much more important.

Sorry for the long drawn out post.