K&N Filter system

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
geraldo14
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Filter system

Hey guys, any opinions good bad or indifferent about K&N filter systems on a SD F250 4X4 Triton V10 ? are they really benificial?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Had a K&N FIPK II on my F-150 (5.4L). I thought it made a difference and I only had to buy 1 filter (the K&N in the kit) during the 7 years I owned it. I think it made an improvement in power, plus you could hear the truck breathing under the hood too.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Alon@ModBargains
Senior User
K&N is a great filter and you will not be disappointed with it.

Have you looked into S&B filters at all? They have a great quality kit and most other companies use the S&B filters... if thats tells you anything about their product.

http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...F-250_F-350_MW

I am also offering $5 off of S&B filters by using coupon code "5offSB" at checkout.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Alon@Modbargains

Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would for sure tell you to buy. It is a great addition for your engine and rewashable. I also have had the cold intake and it was well worth the money in the long run.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:29 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I just bought a 'drop in' K&N...the INTAKE on the V10 is VERY efficient...

I bought my E-0945 K&N for $40 shipped to my door...I've noticed increased MAF readings with the K&N but have NOT run enough miles yet to say if anything is better.

I monitor IAT (intake air temps) on my digital gauge...and it MATCHES outside ambient temps...so the INTAKE is su@king outside temp air...

I'd recommend trying a drop in replacement over a FULL K&N kit...IMO...

Good luck,
joe.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
2000Expy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a K&N for over 100K, and didn't notice a difference. No doubt it's a good filter, but that doesn't mean it's magnitudes better than the Ford filter that was in there.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Bevis3
Senior User
I hate it, as soon as I can find a stock intake, the K&N goes in the trash!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
themoparkid
Senior User
I personally have one in the Ford. Also got one in my Dodge Neon. As soon as I dropped the new K&N filter in the truck, I got a better throttle response.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:53 PM
metalbender
Junior User
OK! Why

Please tell us what drives your "I hate it" immediate and only response. Did it taste bad or what. I always wonder what drives immediate bad responses and usually it is something that the dealer or order department did and not the product. My guess is that you really don't know enough about them to like or dislike them, just someone ticked you off.......correct?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
thewheelman
Senior User
I'm always looking for a little performance "edge" with everyone of my vehicles, from the 73 Jensen Healey to the 05 F150 (which I just bought). I've put K&Ns in 2 Rangers, 2 Sport Traks (for friends), 1 E150, 1 E250, a Chrysler Sebring convertible, 2 PT Cruisers, and a Fiat Spider. Now, the "edge" in some if these vehicles is that I never have to buy another filter, on others, I feel I've gotten a little more "umph" out of them with the K&N. Now it's time to put one on the F150. I've never dealt with a cone in a can before, but it appears to be sucking cool air in from under the fender well. Is a conical K&N my best (and most economical) bet here? I kind of like the howling moan of a V8 sucking up non-renewal resources, but can live without it if I have to.....

Thanks....

Old 05-09-2008, 02:32 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
i put a series 63 intake on my 07 expedition. It seems to have given it slightly better throttle repsponse and slightly better gas mileage as long as I take it easy. These are the good parts.

now the bad is that it created a very loud hum / droan from 2500 rpms upward. I even purchased some noise reduction material and wrapped the intake pipe and intake shield with it and it still is wayyyy too loud. I dont know what else to do. I am pulling a trailer tomorrow and will see how it sounds under a heavier load, I may end up pulling it and going back to the stock intake with a drop in K& N filter.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:39 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
K&N is a great filter and you will not be disappointed with it.

Have you looked into S&B filters at all? They have a great quality kit and most other companies use the S&B filters... if thats tells you anything about their product.

S&B Cold Air Intake Ford F-250/F-350

I am also offering $5 off of S&B filters by using coupon code "5offSB" at checkout.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Alon@Modbargains
I got the newer S-B cold air intake with the snorkle for my 7.3 diesel truck, great filtration. You can here this system under the hood sucking in air. Great intake.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
I have the complete K&N intake system on my PSD anf love it-Better and quicker throttle response, Turbo spools up quicker, and mileage is up about 2 MPG! Go for it!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Gary_56
New User
Thumbs up K&n Filters

I've got a 2001 F-250 SuperDuty V-10, pulling a 11,000 lbs fifth wheel, love the K&N cold air injector (easy to intstall) I' get 16 mpg empty and 9 loaded, also installed a Banks headers system, had our mechaNIC TELL ME THAST IT IS tweaked TO THE MAX. I would strongly suggest adding a Trans temp gauge and Vaccum Gauge too, auot meter or glow shift if you want some thing different.
When I first installed the stock replacement K&M i noticed a .5 mpg increase and greater acceleration.

GOTTA LOVE IT

Old 06-07-2008, 01:43 PM
EXPI
New User
I'm getting ready to install the same 63 series K&N intake/filter kit; also have B-quiet Ultimate to wrap everything up with. But after reading about your experiences with noise am a little concerned about your comment on taking it out. I am putting this on primarily for highway mileage improvement so I may be on the low end of the RPM range you start to hear the noise at. Also, I don't do any towing.

Are you still considering taking it out, especially in the new $4/gal era?

Also, I thought I saw some very good pictures and comments on the K&N installation? Was that from you? (I can't find it here now...)

Thanks in advance for your time to respond!

Quick Reply: K&N Filter system