Delaware Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: pbsdaddy

a question on Delaware D.M.V.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:59 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
a question on Delaware D.M.V.

one of the local druggies wrecked his explorer and took the plate off it, and put them on a ford van he just bought.

i know for a fact the van only came with a hand written bill of sale, cause the owner said he did not have the title.
will Delaware DMV let him swap the plates with only a bill of sale, or does he need a title like you do here in Jersey??

i am thinking he just swapped the plates, and is driving with no registration or insurance, but would like to know a little more before i go to headquarters to talk to my friend the lieutenant.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Stv1968
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know, he will have to have the previous owner apply for a new title so that it can be transfered.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 AM
DAFBFD58
Posting Guru
I think he can try and apply for a lost title, but dont quote me on it. Whats the harm in a little stop and check type mission. i would say let them checkhim out, what's it going to hurt, he just might end up off the road.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
well, that is the plan, to get him off the road before he kills someone. the narcotics squad is on to him and his ways, but have not built up a good enough case to take him out yet.

i just like to have my ducks in a row when i go into headquarters. i have known most of the senior staff most of my life, and don't like sending them on wild goose chases.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:52 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
Tom there is no way he can just take a plate off one vehicle and put it on another one. If he's caught in Delaware and the registration doesn't match the VIN on the vehicle he's in deep do do

Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
yea, i know that george, but i was not sure about how you do things as far as a title goes.

here, it is no title, no go. a bill of sale don't cut it.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
Same here also

Old 02-24-2008, 08:17 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
ok, thanks. that is the way i thought it was there.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:26 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjc transport
yea, i know that george, but i was not sure about how you do things as far as a title goes.

here, it is no title, no go. a bill of sale don't cut it.
No ticky no shirty anywhere in the US as far as i know. A bill of sale is only for tax purposes today.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:46 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
well, in Alabama you can get a title with a bill of sale.

there is a company called Broadway titles, used to be titles unlimited, in Birmingham Alabama. you send them a notarized hand written bill of sale, and for $140 they will return to you an Alabama title for the vehicle.
the way they do it is you are selling the car to yourself.
basically title washing.

but you are responsible for ensuring the car is not stolen or has a lien on it.
i have used them in the past to get titles for cars i got out of junkyards.

but since 9-11-01, they will not do business with residents of NJ because of the strict restructuring of the NJMVC

Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Wow! Thats good to know. I have passed up many vehicles due to no title.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:30 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Title is the only way in Delaware, unless you are bring it from a state which does not require titles. That being, said, some states do not issue, or require titles for cars over a certain age, and the DMV will tell you which they will honor, if asked. Not only do you have to have a title in Delaware, the person in whose name the last title was issued, is the one who must request and get it! The Druggie cannot apply and get it himself, and he sure can't put the tag on another vehicle, regardless of how much time is showing on the inspection sticker. In order for to legally move a tag from one vehicle to another, you have to have both titles.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 PM
79f150toy
Senior User
the issue here i think is the tag/registration....not the title......you can transfer your tag(not the registration, just the number) to another vehicle you own.....plus if he does get busted in de, the biggest thing he will have to worry about is the fine of no insurance(assuming he doesnt have any.)

Old 03-20-2008, 11:59 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
When you change the number on your vehicle in Delaware, you get a new title, with the new number on it, as well as a new registration certificate with the new number on it, so we are talking about all three, title, registration certificate, and tag. Oh yes, I forgot, even the sticker has the same number on the bottom it, and it matches the tag number. They all match. If you don't believe me, check your own titles, tags and registrations. I have changed tag numbers, and this is what I have gone through. He also, must have the titles. He doesn't have a title, he can't do it! Get caught driving that van in Delaware, he will have more to worry about than insurance. He is now driving a vehicle that is unregistered and displaying a fraudulent tag, as well as having no insurance.........

Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 AM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Thumbs up

Even when you move the tag, or number, the expiration on the tag changes to the date that the vehicle's tags would have expired before moving! You only change the paperwork concerning the tag number, the inspection date stays the same, and you get new stickers changing the dates on the tags.... We do agree on that, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying....

Quick Reply: a question on Delaware D.M.V.