Sponsored by: DP Tuner

camshaft sensor recall on 7.3 powerstroke diseal

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:44 PM
dmiasin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camshaft sensor recall on 7.3 powerstroke diseal

I have been having problems with my 1999 ford f350 7.3 powerstroke diseal,when there is moisture in the air my truck will stall and sputter, at times the engine light will come on and completely shut off. I have had a camshaft sensor put after the truck wouldn't start back. Once I replaced the sensor the truck started and ran fine, until it rained or there was heavy fog, and now at random times it will stall and carry on. A friend of mine has the same truck as I do and he told me that there was a recall from Ford on the camshaft sensor's. If anyone has any more information or suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Old 02-23-2008, 05:57 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome to FTE yes there is a recall on the sensor..run your vin through the dealer to see if your truck is one of them...then look to see if your CPS is black with a gold bracket.....sounds to me like when it got replaced it didnt get any electrical grease in it to keep moisture out... also sheck the plug for a rubber oring inside of it...

Old 02-23-2008, 05:59 PM
harleydude03
Junior User
yes, should just be able to take it to any ford dealer and they will check to see if you have the recalled cps. if you you do theyll replace it. just had mine done last monday.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Tailspin
Junior User
Well either i have the worst luck or not, but i almost crashed and burned real hard today with my wife in the truck. She was driving as i had a few beers. Cruising along at 35 mph and guess what. Complete shutdown, no brakes and no steering for a 120# gal trying to manhandle this thing through a corner. I am sick of this BS. I had the CPS recall done no less than 3 weeks ago. I was assured by Ford that it was rectified and no problems will exist again. Typical CPS failure, got the truck out of the shallow ditch and re grouped. Flashed right up to get us 10 miles home. Now i am Choked. This could have been more than ugly as there were kids riding ther bikes on the side of the road. WHat are my options? We live in a mountaious area of s turns and off camber backroads. Do i never let her drive the truck? Not an option. Do i go buy a new truck?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:39 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tailspin,

I just posted a topic a few days ago talking about the problems I have been having with my truck ever since i had my CPS recall done... Long story short brandon (bdrummonds) informed me that alot of people are having problems with the new cps. He gave me this link which is the discussion about it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...ensor-189509%2F

and here is the link to what i posted about
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ease-help.html

poeple are having alot of different issue with the new cps and hopefully FORD will do something about soon... My local stealership has no clue what is going on i'd give yours a call and ask if they do. GOOD LUCK glad to hear yall are ok.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Tailspin
Junior User
Thanks for the info. Now that i have cooled off some, i picked up a new CPS for 45 $ and wil instal it myself tommorow. What is Fords plan for the Recalled Recall?

Old 03-09-2008, 01:23 PM
gaz
New User
Question how much ??

I have a 2001 7.3 f-250. my cps went bad last november, my dealer replaced it & i had not had any problems with it since. i recieved the recall notice acouple of weeks ago & took it back to the dealer again to see if i had the right (latest) one. the service tech said they would go ahead & replace it anyway & that a was able to get a refund from ford for the original replacement cost. the bill was for $216.43. ($37.29 for parts & $179.14 for labor)plus tax. I have two Questions from this. when did ford issue this recall & is that labor rate normal? It was only in the shop for 15 min. i know the cost is a moot point because of the refund but i was curious if this is a standard labor rate. thanks in advance for any replies/answers

Old 03-09-2008, 02:08 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

gaz, welcome to FTE. That is why they are called the stealership.
The recall is fairly recent.

4inchlovin, does IH still have the old CPS? They had one for 94-96 and one for 97+. I got a new one on the recall and got the #8 problem. They did something with the computer to solve it. But it might be only temporary, so I want to get a good one to keep in the truck.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM
gaz
New User
sounds like a career change might be in my future, although the techs probably only see pennys on the dollar. from what ive read it seems like a fairly simple job to do your self.I think next time a little research might save me a couple of bucks.you live, you learn. thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 03:39 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
Sounds alful steep for a CPS change. It has one bolt & one connector and can be done from the floor in under ten minutes. And that is with putting some silicon grease on the o-ring and dielectric compound on the connector.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:04 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Trike,
I went to the local auto parts store and they were able to get me a black one for the same price as the "new grey one" they had put a grey one in my truck for the recal when i herd about this #8 injector problem and the new cps i decided to go with the black one. I keep the grey in the glove box for a spare. Unfortunetly enough for me the cps was not the issue with my *8 injector... Good luck. Oh by the way the local store here carries parts from "parts plus" do a search for them and find out where your closest supplier is. if they tell you they cant get a black cps PM me and i will get you a part #...

Old 03-10-2008, 05:29 AM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Thanks 4inchlovin. Out here Parts Plus is part of Pep Boys. I'll give it a try.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 PM
rhodester
Junior User
I have the blue CPS that I replaced the original black one with about a year ago. I haven't got a tuner yet but I was under the impression that when the time came I would have to go back to the black CPS. Will a tuner work with the new post-recall grey sensor, too? or do I need to still get the black one?

Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I have never heard that the grey CPS won't work with a tuner. You should be fine.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:01 PM
whiteywhip
Senior User
has anyone tried the nappa auto parts store cps....i just bought one and hope it works out....dont have time for the ford dealer so i figured id give it a shot

Quick Reply: camshaft sensor recall on 7.3 powerstroke diseal