Vacuum Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:38 PM
yagi_boy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum Hose Replacement

Hey folks,

New to the forum and thought I might as well jump on in. I have a stock 2000 F-150 XLT with ~103k miles on it. No mods of any kind and running BFG Long Trails. Just had to replace the pcv elbow at the manifold (it got all soft and basically imploded on itself). What a PITA. If i can see it I can't touch it and if I touch it I can't see it.

While in there I changed the air filter and pcv valve, cleaned the TB and the IAC and also did the Sea Foam thing through the pcv line. Running much smoother now and idling much more steadily. Oh yeah, also dumped a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank today when I filled up. Noticed that a lot of the hoses are looking pretty bad and should be replaced.

My question has to do with the vacuum hoses. I figure that come this spring I'm gonna pull the upper manifold so that I can see (and touch) all the vacuum lines and replace them all. Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the hoses, maybe by function, with the proper diameter for each hose? Sure would be nice to know ahead of time what size hoses to buy before I get started so I can do it all at one time. Any ideas?

TIA,

yagi_boy

Old 02-24-2008, 03:34 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi and welcome to FTE and the 4.2 / 3.8 Forum.

I don't recall ever having seen a list or description like what you are looking for. My guess is, if you could get a Ford parts manual or CD, you could likely find it there.

I'll poke around some and see if I can come up with something, but can't make any promises.

Again, welcome to FTE.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:34 PM
yagi_boy
New User
Thanks for the welcome. This place is a wealth of knowledge and I've learned a lot already. Enough to get me off the couch and out to do all the things mentioned above. The truck was running so badly from the pcv leak that I had let it just sit for several months and the battery died. While starting it after the battery charge, I could hear the leak and it took forever to find because of where the elbow is located. Had a CEL of P0171 & P0173. All cleared up now and after doing all that cleaning the truck runs like new. Hopefully I'll see the MPG improve as well.

I have an AllData subscription and I haven't found anything on there that lists the vacuum lines. Guess I can try at the dealer in town.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome ...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
So far I have not found anything.
I used to own a 2000 model with the 4.2 and think I might have the Ford service CD buried somewhere. Let me look and see if I can find it.
It might take a day or two, but I'll try.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 PM
mkos
New User
where is the pcv valve located on the 4.2? i think i have a vaccum leak somewhere aswell.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
never did find the cd. Sorry. I'll poke around some more and see if I can dig it up.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 AM
yagi_boy
New User
Originally Posted by mkos
where is the pcv valve located on the 4.2? i think i have a vaccum leak somewhere aswell.
It's located on the passenger's side valve cover, all the way in the back. The hose runs to a hard platic tube that comes forward to an elbow behind and beneath the throttle bady inlet. A new PCV valve cost me about $3.00 at Advance Auto. Hope that helps.

yagi_boy

Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 PM
flagbagger
New User
Vacuum hose leaks/replacement/PO171/174/305

During my (97) 4.2 rebuild, while plenum was off, I replaced all suspect vacuum hose, elbows..etc that I could. Not sure if 2002 is similiar or not but mine consisted of one 90 degree elbow, & remainder was plastic connectors & short pieces of vacuum hose to PCV except for the long plastic tube going forward to nipple under the throttlebody. Even with that, I found that I still had vacuum leaks in the truck upon reassembly - brake booster nipple had rusted off/holed and further investigation with a vacuum tester of the myriad of multi coloured small plastic vacuum tubes in the truck, I found a cracked plastic joiner in the red line behind the battery box. The above vacuum problems were setting codes PO 305 (misfire detected, cyl 5) and adaptive fuel system lean codes for both banks (PO171, 174). Note that engine vacuum still indicated 19 inches during this time.
I have a picture of the back of the plenum which would simplify explaining but I have no idea how to attach it or post it or whatever to this venue.
Cheers

Old 03-20-2008, 05:55 AM
yagi_boy
New User
If you could find a way to attach a picture, that would be great. I have been wanting to replace all the vacuum lines but putting off pulling the upper intake hoping to find some kind of picture or list of all the rubber lines on top of the engine. If you can't attach the picture maybe you could e-mail it?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
flagbagger
New User
Good afternoon yagi_boy;
Sorry to be so tardy in responding. As one cannot attach a photo (unless one becomes a FTE supporter, if you have not found a schematic (I know the one I saw at the Ford parts counter was incomplete) to date, forward your e-mail address & I will e-mail a photo.
cheers
Flagbagger

Old 03-26-2010, 08:08 PM
MarkSullivan4
New User
I have a crack in an elbow and would like to know if there is a part number or what do you ask for when you are going in to get the part? Anybody have any suggestions?

I have a 2000 F150 4.2L V6....Thanks