2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Stock 20" Tires in Snow

Old 02-22-2008, 06:24 AM
STJones
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock 20" Tires in Snow

I have an 07 EL Limited 4x4 with the 20" wheels & Pirelli tires. My wife has has complained about how it drives in the snow and haven't paid much attention until I had to the other day. It just doesn't seem to handle well. We used to have a 00 Suburban and I put BFGoodrich AT tires on it - that was great. Does anyone else have experience with the Pirelli tires in the bad weather? Has anyone put a 20" all-terrain tire on their Expy? I am not sure how that would look on the Limited.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by STJones
I have an 07 EL Limited 4x4 with the 20" wheels & Pirelli tires. My wife has has complained about how it drives in the snow and haven't paid much attention until I had to the other day. It just doesn't seem to handle well. We used to have a 00 Suburban and I put BFGoodrich AT tires on it - that was great. Does anyone else have experience with the Pirelli tires in the bad weather? Has anyone put a 20" all-terrain tire on their Expy? I am not sure how that would look on the Limited.

Thanks in advance.
I just got my EL at the beginning of January. It came with 18" Pirelli's. I live in Colorado and we've been getting a ton of snow in the mountains and you're right, the tires pretty much suck. If these trucks didnt have traction control it'd be way worse. I drove on them for about two weeks and then dished out the $$$ for a much better set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's. Absolutely night and day difference!!!

In fact, I would say that the Revo's improved performance in every way... dry, wet, snow. They even feel tighter (more responsive) on the road. The Pirelli's felt pretty wishy-washy. Gas mileage is unchanged (and I even went to a slightly larger tire, both width and height). Some of the pics in my gallery are with the Revo's and some with the Pirelli's.

This is the 3rd truck I've run Revo's on and as long as Bridgestone continues to make 'em, I'll never own anything else. I've run all sorts of A/T's and have been way more impressed with these than anything else (and I'm hard on tires). All of that being said, you cant get 'em in a 20" size.

I think Pirelli has got good tires, I just dont think that they're a good match for something like an Expy unless you never tow and just grandma it around in Florida all day long.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:13 PM
IQ9
Senior User
You should try the ATR. Its the all terrain version of 20s you already have. Tirerack has them for $130 a tire. It get great reviews. You could also try to find a Nitto dealer that has the Terra Grappler in the 275/55/20 size. Nitto's site says they make them BUT I have yet to find a dealer with them. Good Luck.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:25 PM
STJones
Senior User
Mike

Your tires look nice. How much bigger are they? 33"? I guess 33" would fit without a lift or spacer. I have 33" on my F150 and like them.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by STJones
Mike

Your tires look nice. How much bigger are they? 33"? I guess 33" would fit without a lift or spacer. I have 33" on my F150 and like them.
I went with 265/70-18's, so they're only about a half-inch taller overall (stock was 255/70). 32.6 vs. 32.1 stock. There's still enough room that a 33" would fit with no problem on a stock truck (4x4 anyway, cant speak for a 4x2).

Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put Cooper ST Discoverer's (studded) on mine and I love them.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:51 AM
brandon4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 282 Likes on 131 Posts
Whatever you get, get them siped(small cuts in the tread done by tire store.). Makes a huge difference. Have them on my 08 f350 and Expedition. Toyo muds and Nitto all terrains.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:07 PM
tretopflir
New User
I put 22" Pirelli ATRs on my o7 and they are awesome...Was in the sierras snowing 2 ft overnite barely needed 4wd...as good or better than 35' bfg a/t on my 2002 f350...

Old 02-26-2008, 07:53 AM
04markIII
Elder User
i have the 275/55/20 scorpion atr white letter as well, and no problems in the snow here.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:20 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Originally Posted by nebmike
I just got my EL at the beginning of January. It came with 18" Pirelli's. I live in Colorado and we've been getting a ton of snow in the mountains and you're right, the tires pretty much suck. If these trucks didnt have traction control it'd be way worse. I drove on them for about two weeks and then dished out the $$$ for a much better set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's. Absolutely night and day difference!!!

In fact, I would say that the Revo's improved performance in every way... dry, wet, snow. They even feel tighter (more responsive) on the road. The Pirelli's felt pretty wishy-washy. Gas mileage is unchanged (and I even went to a slightly larger tire, both width and height). Some of the pics in my gallery are with the Revo's and some with the Pirelli's.

This is the 3rd truck I've run Revo's on and as long as Bridgestone continues to make 'em, I'll never own anything else. I've run all sorts of A/T's and have been way more impressed with these than anything else (and I'm hard on tires). All of that being said, you cant get 'em in a 20" size.

I think Pirelli has got good tires, I just dont think that they're a good match for something like an Expy unless you never tow and just grandma it around in Florida all day long.
I agree with you nebmike, the Bridgestone Dueler ATR's are awesome. I had them on my 02 Explorer and were much better in the snow than the stock Michelins.. I just traded in my 02 Explorer for a 07 Expedition, and I'll replace the stock with the ATR's when its time.

The think ratings from Tire rack for the Revo ATR's were dead on. When I was researching these tire I had gone to a Bridgestone dealer and they told me to make sure that I specifically got the Revo's and not the APT III's. The APT's I guess are sub par. The only minor complaint would be that the road noise increased but no match for the amount of traction you gain.

Search this Thread