New Hampshire Chapter Join Chapter Leader: 7283-F250

fe 390 needs help boston area

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 PM
bawstenbilly
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fe 390 needs help boston area

Hi, I'm looking for a local fe guru to assist in options any feedback would be great. Also if there are any ford clubs in the Boston to southern NH area I would welcome that info as well. Thanks

Last edited by bawstenbilly; 02-16-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Trying to put a picture in
Old 02-17-2008, 06:28 PM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WELCOME!

I see you got a bump side from the pic.
I got 2 of-em

There is a FE section of the forum that can easily answer any questions you may have. I have delt with mine a little.

If you really need it fixed I will take it off your hands and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Just kidding.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:11 PM
bawstenbilly
Freshman User
Red face

Thanks for the info. I do check the fe for tech info. Now I need a garage that won't hack the old girl or my wallet.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
I know of a guy in Winooski VT (Burlington suburb). He's the only one that has touched mine. I went and yanked the motor repalced all the seals and it was still leaking like a siv. The guy figured out it was that oil gally plugs that were leaking. He knows his stuff ang a guy with a 68 Shelby with 427 told me about the guy. Too bad he's like 4 hours from you.

Haven't run into any local FE people. I'd say my uncle but he perfers the 351m and 400 motors and dislikes the FE. He gave me 2 360's because he dosen't like that much.

If your willing we could brake it together.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 AM
c4barnes
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bawstenbilly
Now I need a garage that won't hack the old girl or my wallet.
AFAIK from my medium length life, a garage will refrain from one or the other. If you do find one that does neither, let us know, and if we don't keel over on the spot, we'll pay 'em a visit!

Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
bawstenbilly
Freshman User
Red face I got a little wordy!

I think what you were saying c4barnes is if I find a mechanic to do fe's and others you'd keel over?

As far as VT goes I wouldn't mind to bad. I did drive the old girl from vegas to salt lake to vegas to reno to vegas to sandiego to boston. I'd like to body off so that I can preserve the frame which is bare metal with oil residue. Undercoat the belly and strip the original paint and give her a nice fresh coat. As far as the motor goes, I've priced remanufactured ones for 1200 or so, just to bypass gallies and gaskets and machine shops I don't know, not to mention cranks valves cams etc. I guess I'm just feeling guilty about bringing her to the east after her desert dry rust free life. If I had a garage it would be a lot easier. Ive been a sheetmetal worker since 82' and I'm not scared to break it down myself (if I had the comfort of a garage). I just put her up for adoption in these classifieds in hopes she'd go to a loving, deserving home before I drop 10 grand on her! I'm afraid someone will buy it

Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM
c4barnes
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bawstenbilly
I think what you were saying c4barnes is if I find a mechanic to do fe's and others you'd keel over?
No, I'd keel over if I found a mechanic who was both thorough and inexpensive. Not that a thorough one necessarily should be inexpensive...

I'm from out west myself. The rust is definitely bad here but if you can keep it off the roads during salt season, you're avoiding a lot of the problem. There also seems to be no shortage of car washes. And a garage isn't necessarily the greatest, either. The worst rust I've seen so far is on an old Suburban that is stored in a damp garage behind my house. Sheetmetal's gone right up to below the windows in some spots.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:29 PM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Know I know what you'r looking to do. I thought you were just looking for an FE mechanic to fix day to day stuff and possibly slightly more.

I did talk to a guy today and the leader of the New England Mustang Club lived in Weare NH (near Manchester) and is a Ford tech but does do work on the side out of his house. From what I am told he still works for Ford and has a 5 bay garage at his house.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
bawstenbilly
Freshman User
sounds like someone I could get recommendations from on build and or not to build. Sorry I wasn't clear, I guess I'm still not. Could I leave my Number ? Thanks for your efforts