Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bronco Tank Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 PM
92mnfordtrk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco Tank Mod

Hey you guys,

Need some help here. Rear fuel tank (never checked) Prev Owner says was rusted and leaked so have never used, front tank started leaking... So, I want to do the infamous bronco tank mod. However after peruising this forum using the search feature by Frederic (Thanks!) I am more confused than I was???

1. Some said you need to get new top straps, others don't mention it or say you don't. If you do need to get them, then how do you put them on from the bottom.

2. Do all broncos have rear skid plate? I have seen on parts sites rear tank straps (bottom) for broncos, is this a stock part or is this just regular f150 straps they are saying is for a bronco. I don't want to pay 125 for a skid plate... (yes I have checked the junkyards around here

3. Some have said to use regular f150 straps and just use longer bolts, however what is done with the shorter width of the tank, does the pressure from the straps hold the tank in place??

4. Is there any modding needed to hook it up?? I don' t want to be lengthening metal fuel lines etc. I realize I need new sending unit and should get a new fuel pump. Should I get a pump for a bronco or f150? Mine is 4.9L i read the bronco uses different pump than f150s so you need that one, but on parts sites bronco doesn't have 4.9l?? Is the fuel pressure regulator the only thing different, so pumps are the same? (Yes I am confused)

Sorry about the length, thanks for your info, if anyone just posts a step by step that would help too. We should make this on the sticky. It seems a really common question, but the posts i found didn't always agree on the above stated concerns.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 PM
86caprirs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am doing this really soon so I will keep you posted.

F-150's have upper straps and so do Bronco's.The tank is shorter so you will need to make a new crossmember with C channel or angle Iron.The pump and sending unit will work together with the stock F-150 stuff.I checked this because I work for Ford of Canada.

I will let you know how it goes and I will use pics too. Just so you know, this is a plug and play but install will take a little work....not alot.When you do the swap and need tank parts....use 94 Bronco parts for the fuel tank stuff.

Last edited by 86caprirs; 02-14-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is what I did it is posted here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...tank-leak.html

Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 PM
92mnfordtrk
Senior User
Thanks towmanjbo and 86 capris.

I read that thread again and it answers some of my qs! So, I take it I can reuse the top tank straps unless they are rusted beyond repair. Awesome!

The only other thing I am concerned about is the thing this the sending unit and fuel pump attach to. "** You will still need the part that attaches to the tank. It is metal with metal piping and the connector and wires for pump & sending unit are attached. The sending unit doesn't come with it, the pump and sender attaches to it. This I had to get at a bone-yard when you get it have them get you the pigtail for it with 6-8" of leads."
I have not heard of this before (in other threads) and haven't seen it in the parts stores listing for bronco fuel tanks. I will check more into it. I am going to be buying all new, (no broncos in local junkyards) so will need that part. If anyone has a name that would be great. I assume the pigtail is a new electrical connector to work with the f150 stuff, correct.

P.S. I am going to buy the 33gal bottom straps (not skid plate) and let you all know how they will work once I am done, even broncograveyard has them so they have to be legit. However if anyone strongly feels for safety that the skid plate works better, ie the tank comes down far, let me know

Thanks!
Later,
Paul

Last edited by 92mnfordtrk; 02-14-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

I've already dented my skid plate so I'd vote for it.
The electrical connector was different on mine but that Might not across the board. I found the reciept recently and the sending unit part and skid-plate was from a '93 Bronc so maybe that was why.
I wish I new the correct terminology for that part, the junk-yard called it the "sending unit" but that might be a genaric term because most come that way. I just know from my experence that it dosent. I wish I had taken a pic of it before I put it together so I could show it to you.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

When I was looking for the fuel pump I had the same questions. The 4.9 wasn't offered in the Bronco in '94 so that is why you can't find it. Try looking for a '92 pump I believe that was the last year for the 6 in Broncos. I also think it is the same pump as the V8's, if I remember right.
And yes you need a pump for a bronco so it reaches the bottom of the tank. The pick-up point is different.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

The only new fuel line you see in the photos is a new vent line. It was rusted beyond repair.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

I did notice that you have dual tanks I don't know how the plumbing will be different on yours. The pumps in the tank should be the same but the fuel pressure is regulated by the front pump so it souldn't be a concern, I could be wrong here mine was a single tank truck.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:13 PM
92mnfordtrk
Senior User
From my knowledge of these trucks, I am thinking fuel pressure regulator will take care of pressure differences. So I am going to use a bronco fuel pump, that way I will know there will be enough pressure. Right now I am undecided about closing off sending unit to front tank or what. If there was a temporary way, I would be all for it.

As for the piece that branches off of the sendingunit/fuelpump on the outside, I haven't found a piece like that and wouldn't my old f150 have a piece like this to use?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 PM
91 F-150 Farm Truck
Senior User
The fuel junction box is the one that controls the fuel pressure between the two. The FPR controls it from the line to the rail and back out. It shouldn't matter...

And I don't remember where it was But I saw an online thing that sells a mod kit for switching a 18 gallon pump to the bigger 38 gallon. It drops the float and the pick up tube. Couldn't you fashion that?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

The old one bends at the wrong direction, just after entering the tank it bends at a 90 degree angle whereas the bronco one goes straight down. The factory tank is only like 6-7" deep versus the bronco tank which is closer to a foot.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:41 PM
91 F-150 Farm Truck
Senior User
You know some F-250s come with a 38 gallon tank... Same width and everything (same space to fill) just goes down a bit more... Why not use that one?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Never seen one of those. The aftermarket ones don't go past '89 I believe ,because the hole in the tank is a different size (emission changes).

Old 02-15-2008, 12:45 AM
92mnfordtrk
Senior User
Okay did alot of stuff looking online.

Okay I understand that I need to buy the big plastic assembly type fuel pump not the bare metal ones to go in it. I am assuming this will contain everything within? So, I just need that "pigtail" assembly on top that takes the fuel and sends or recieves that goes in the lock ring junk.

This diagram is similar it is really for a f150.

P.S. I have a request to several junkyards for these, so we will see

Last edited by 92mnfordtrk; 02-15-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:12 PM
86caprirs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford has updated the fuel pump on the trucks so there is a different connector that will plug into the same harness. If you get the tank with the pump then it is a easy swap. I have never heard of straps for the tank unless you are talking about the ones from LMC trucks.

I also did see the 38 gallon tanks from LMC but I don't know why then only go to 89?? The other ones on the F-250 are newer trucks with the 5.4L or 6.8L engines that have huge tanks.I don't know if they will work but the price on the tanks are insane.

I should mention that a Ford pump is a pump for the years. They put out 88 LPH and the regulator will do the adjustments for you. If you went to a larger pump like a 255 lph then you would need a Kirban (or other) AFPR.The sendin unit works the same too. You will not have any gauge problems except it will take a little longer to reach empty.

I got my tank from a 90 Bronco today.I will get her cleaned up and make sure the rusty area is still good. Then I will start the assembly process.

Last edited by 86caprirs; 02-15-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Bronco Tank Mod