Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Back from Cali! :( Story time... you wont believe it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from Cali! :( Story time... you wont believe it!

Well I am back from California, first we left for Las Vegas, Nevada on Feb. 1st and got there at about 10pm their time. We got to our nice hotel (Silverton) and had a few beers and lost some cash on the slots... we drove a 2004 f250 crew cab 4X4 leather seats not a scratch in it, 6.0 diesel w/90,000 miles, BRIGHT red pulling a bran spankin new 6' by 12' dual axle trailer full of our tools and clothes and parked it in the parking lot under lights and directly under a bunch of cameras. Long story short, long nite, woke up and we walked out to the parking lot at 9am to see that all of it was GONE! Hotel people didnt know anything and neither did the police...everything was stolen from a nice hotel with cameras. How does somebody steal a BRIGHT red 8,000lb. pickup WITH a trailer from this place and get away??? So we were all mad and wasted a day at the police station filling out information about the theft and what all was missing. So our rent a car was a new dinky grand prix 4 door....then we traded that small thing for a 2008 saturn vue or whatever, anyways we had to get enough clothes and tools to work at Hunnington beach for a week (small projects/remodel) got all that done and got a phone call. The pickup was found in Las Vegas, they broke into the rear sliding window and used some sort of a universal key and changed the liscense plates to Californina plates, got into a hit and run accident. The person ran a red light and got into a wreck then took off running and they didnt catch him! So now the insurance company was going to give my boss a check for around 28,000$ but now we have a wrecked pickup to possibly fix up. Big mess. Come to find out later that the f250s are the most common vehicle stolen throught the whole United States, (the police told us that). So now my boss is trying to get some body shop in Vegas to buy it and fix it up so they can sell it while he gets an 2008, hopefully. Anyways Cali was 60s and sunny, ocean water temp was 57 degrees. I love the weather but central Neb is a better place to live in my opnion, good to find that out the hard way. Next time we are going to fly and not deal with that mess again.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:52 AM
cornfedp
Senior User
Ouch, I always liked to visit that part of the US but would never want to live there.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:26 AM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You couldn't pay me enough to live out there. Anyway, that really sucks about that truck. But, glad to see you made it back. I recently heard that my brother-in-laws neighbor up here had his 08 F250 stolen out of his driveway. (one of the few times he left his keys and doors unlocked). Our town is about 5000 population and he lives just about on the outskirts in a really nice development. So, it happens everywhere.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:49 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Wow, that was a crazy trip. What's the point of all the lights and cameras in parking lots if they don't do a lick of good in catching a thief? Did they recover the trailer and all the stuff?

Yeah, it happens everywhere... My wife's Lexus was stolen out of our driveway in West Omaha back in July '06. I forgot to close the garage door that night. They did catch a guy, his sentencing was back in September, but I wasn't able to get down there for it, so I don't know how much time he got.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:14 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
Nope, the trailer and contents are probably in Mexico by now I guess. I dont know why the hotel has cameras, but I am guessing that they just put them there to cover their tales for insurance reasons or something. Probably more to catch rapists or violent attacts on people rather than thefts. Who knows, I just got back from shoppoing for clothes and boots to wear for work tomorrow, another $300 out the window that we wouldnt of had to spend...jerks anyways.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:17 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
We got lucky that my boss's title for his 1930 Model A Sedan was still in there, figured they would of tried to pawn that off too...

Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Hey Anthony, welcome back! Wow, that sucks!! I wonder if the camera's were just for show?? Morons. Your right about living out there. I was stationed out there for four years. Couldn't wait to get back here!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 PM
iwillflybyu
Senior User
More info on this theft, the cameras in the parking lot are revolving cameras and the pickup was last seen at around 3:45am, we got back at 5am. We are lucky that we didnt catch the dude, thats for sure. I think that the valet and security guys have an inside job going on in my opnion. NOBODY KNOWS anything...yeah right. Oh yeah, then a cop at the accident site asked if his pickup had a diamond plate tool box in it and my boss said...yep. The cop then said, well shes your pickup then. After that my boss got pics of the pickup with NO tool box in it...I think the cops made some extra $$ too....Im really starting to trust NOBODY!! from vegas that is..