2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

IS the NAV radio worth $2,000??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
IS the NAV radio worth $2,000??

Anybody have the NAV radio but can compare it to something else?

I mean, is it worth the money? Or will the Premium Radio with an aftermarket GPS be just as effective?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the nav system in my EL and like it just for the sake of convenience. I had a laptop mount in my Excursion and ran topo software on my laptop for when I was off-roading... and would probably still have to run it just because the nav system doesnt have anywhere near that kind of detail. If you go off road with the nav system, you're just in a black hole on the screen.

Radio-wise, its nothing great. If you're wanting a premium system with crystal clear sound, you might be looking to upgrade if you go the nav radio. Dont get me wrong -- its better sound than the radio/speakers in the Excursion but I dont know how much of a music snob you might be.

An aftermarket GPS might give you more options in terms of what you can do with it. There are some features that I miss on the nav system, like an altitude and speed display, and the ability to put in coordinates as a destination. However, the nav system has features that my topo software doesnt, like the ability to just punch in a name (like Camping World) or a telephone number to come up with an address -- then you just set it as a destination and away you go.

I think for the typical on-road driver, the nav system is about all anybody would ever need. As I said, its very convenient to have it right there all the time with no extra mounts/wires, etc.

As for whether its worth the extra $$$... thats probably a matter of perspective. If you dont mind a windshield or dash mounted aftermarket GPS, a VERY nice one can be had for less than half the money and will do pretty much the same things.

I've got a Garmin in my Super Duty and feature-wise its very similar to the system in the EL (though I do like the larger screen on the nav system).

Dont know whether or not that helped, but maybe its at least a little more food for thought.

Last edited by nebmike; 02-05-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 AM
04markIII
Elder User
not worth $2000. i had replaced my oem nav with an eclipse unit. it also plays dvd's, and the installer over-rode the system so i can imput addresses while in motion. i also retained the use of my steering wheel controls and the rear dvd player. i paid 1695 installed, and it is way better than my oem one was.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
My response is no it is not worth it. I just bought a Garmin 650 Widescreen. This thing is awesome.....only paid 299 through costco.com. Let me see $300 vs $2000, plus with the option of taking my $300 gps to my rental car when my Ford breaks down or to my wife's car when wanting the need for speed.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 PM
IQ9
Senior User
It can be worth it depending on where you live. In Cali police are now busting folks for having things stuck to the windshield...ie: sat radio/hd radio units and nav systems. I like the system and I have had no issues. It is preference. The aftermarket is there for a reason-features or value or both. I got my Limited EL with everything on the list but 2 items and I have no regrets. See if you can test drive a vehicle with the NAV and see if you like it,if you can live without it then the aftermarket is where your $2,000 can go. You may get alot more of what you want/need for you 2k. Good Luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm kinda like carbonmetallic...if I'm gonna buy a NAV unit it is nice to be able to move it from car to car. I guess I just wasn't sure if the Ford NAV unit had features unavailable in other, aftermarket units that made it so much more money.

Also didn't know if the radio quality is better than the Audiophile. I liked the Audiophile.

I don't really need Navigation on my island. I know every street by heart it seems. But it is nice when family & friends visit and use my truck.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 AM
chuck s
Elder User

If ya like cables running all over the dashboard an aftermarket GPS will save a lot of money.

-- Chuck

Old 02-06-2008, 08:45 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
i put the gps mount on the left side of my steering wheel right above the inspection sticker next to the pillar. It is out of the way, plus i tucked the cord under the edge so it is barely visible.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have an aftermarket GPS. Magellan 3225. $199 at Costco. Works great. And you can take it with you, enter info on the fly-which is best left to a passenger or at a stop- and has voice commands. The OEM is nice but I couldn't see forking over 2K for the features it has.

After market units in that range have bluetooth, USB, Ipod controls, etc. etc.

Last edited by berry1234; 02-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:05 AM
gvdcpa
Freshman User
Currently not worth it

When I ordered my 2008 Expedition EL, I was told the Nav Radio was required for bluetooth connectivity (Sync?). That was the major selling point for me. Unfortunately, as discussed in other posts on this forum, I may have jumped a year too soon.

I have used a Garmin Color Streetpilot for about 8+ years and it has some features that the new nav unit does not have.

Until Sync is fully integrated into the Expedition, I would use an aftermarket gps for portability and functionality. I don't believe there was a subtantial difference in the sound quality utilizing the nav radio system.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, Hopefully Sync will be in the 09's. From the guys who work at the plant, they say it wont be backwards compatible with our years.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:01 PM
namrehs300
Senior User
I really like the NAV dashboard with the integrated Sirius and touch screen. That part is worth something. However, the NAV system in this thing is crap. I have a top of the line portable Garmin in my SuperDuty and it includes Bluetooth and it is WAY superior to the Ford unit.

My Garmin has much better points of interest; much better maps; and the directions are excellent. The Ford directions are constantly wrong (they tend to take me on bizarre routes) and therefore, you can't trust the NAV part of this unit.

I think the stereo sound quality is very good - nice subwoofer in the back.

Can you get the touch screen stereo without the NAV in the 08?

Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Ogio
Junior User
Originally Posted by namrehs300
I really like the NAV dashboard with the integrated Sirius and touch screen. That part is worth something. However, the NAV system in this thing is crap. I have a top of the line portable Garmin in my SuperDuty and it includes Bluetooth and it is WAY superior to the Ford unit.

My Garmin has much better points of interest; much better maps; and the directions are excellent. The Ford directions are constantly wrong (they tend to take me on bizarre routes) and therefore, you can't trust the NAV part of this unit.

I think the stereo sound quality is very good - nice subwoofer in the back.

Can you get the touch screen stereo without the NAV in the 08?
Nope, Touch screen is the Nav.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:24 AM
boatflounder
Senior User
I would have to say no its not woth the money, havent used it or any land gps unit but work on ships with gps positioning and know how far the tech has come in the last ten years, and is still getting better. I guess it depends how long you intend to keep the vehicle, as I am looking at getting a f250 I intend to keep forever, or at least ten years. my thought is that I could buy a new top of the line unit for less than 500 every three years and still be below the cost of the ford unit and be up to date wiht the tech of the time, whereas the built in will be obsolete in acouple years, think about all the technology items you now own and how quickly they are supserseded.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 AM
fordmanss12
Mountain Pass
it is worth it though depending on what you pay. I bought a brand new NAV unit out of an 08 for $700 (ebay - reputable seller), paid $100 to have it programmed, and installed it myself (20 minutes). I'm happy with it, even if the NAV component is substandard.

Quick Reply: IS the NAV radio worth $2,000??