Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Vsm

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Jzinkiewicz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vsm

anyone know where i can get a vsm other than the dealer??????

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
What is a VSM?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Jzinkiewicz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
What is a VSM?
vechilcle security module. My door ajar light is on again after replacing the instrument cluster for $700. The wd-40 is not the solution. It's the vsm.
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE_F350
If you have this combination of problems your VSM(Vehicle Security Module) is bad:
Door lock switches inside the truck don't work.
The dome light will not go out even while driving.
The auto headlights don't work.
The door locks will not auto lock at 5mph.
The radio stays on with the key out and the door is open.
The alarm works intermitantly.
The door ajar light will not come on with any door open.

Off the top of my head guzzle, jverba and myself have had the VSM replaced. Upon researching the Electrical Systems and Wiring Forum I found three other guys that replaced their VSM. This is where I noticed that all six of us had 2002 modle trucks! Coincidence?! I'm not saying its an epidemic, just sharing my thoughts.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Oh, gotcha.
I think you are stuck going to the dealer for the necessary parts on this one.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Jzinkiewicz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jzinkiewicz
vechilcle security module. My door ajar light is on again after replacing the instrument cluster for $700. The wd-40 is not the solution. It's the vsm.
If you have this combination of problems your VSM(Vehicle Security Module) is bad:
Door lock switches inside the truck don't work.
The dome light will not go out even while driving.
The auto headlights don't work.
The door locks will not auto lock at 5mph.
The radio stays on with the key out and the door is open.
The alarm works intermitantly.
The door ajar light will not come on with any door open.

Off the top of my head guzzle, jverba and myself have had the VSM replaced. Upon researching the Electrical Systems and Wiring Forum I found three other guys that replaced their VSM. This is where I noticed that all six of us had 2002 modle trucks! Coincidence?! I'm not saying its an epidemic, just sharing my thoughts.
Is this the GEM module????I've tried to take the radio out using nails in the four holes, can't take it out.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Is this the GEM module????I've tried to take the radio out using nails in the four holes, can't take it out.
I feel your pain. If you grind the point off of the nail, then put a slight bevel on one side of the end, that will help.
Insert the nail with the bevel toward the radio, then rotate the nail 180d. Do the same for the rest.
Only insert the nail enough for it to bend the tab away from the lock. Too far and it will jam the radio into the dash and you'll have to pull the nails out and try again. Less than 1". There will be a gentle "click" feeling, (more of a "lump" feeling than a click) Then a stronger sensation of the same. Avoid the stronger one, that's too far.
Once you get the radio out, grind the little lock tabs round and you can get the radio out without raising your blood pressure at the same time.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Try using a piece of coat-hangar bent into a U-shape...I keep a set of them that I made. The size is about the same as if you put your thumb and forefinger into a U-shape. The tape on the removal tool just prevents the tool from going too far into the radio holes. Here is what it looks like:

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2008, 01:15 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
You can't access the VSM by removing the radio, I tried. The only way to get at it is laying on your back with your head near and around the go pedal. Look directly above the tranny hump on the firewall, there should be two 10mm nuts that hold it in place. You'll need a deep well 10mm socket, I also used a tiny crecent wrench. Most of the removal will be done by feel because its very difficult to see while your removing the mounting nuts. There should be three connectors on the bottom of the VSM, make sure to remove those first.
Your new VSM has to be programmed by FORD. I did manage to save some money by removing the VSM from the firewall and left it dangling with the three connectors still attached. That way the FORD tech could just unplug the old one, plug in the new one and program it. Then I mounted it back to the firewall when I got home. I think I paid around a $100.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Jzinkiewicz
Senior User
I was going to take out my 10lb sledge hammer and see if that would get the radio out......Thanks for that tool idea.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Jzinkiewicz
Senior User
You can't access the VSM by removing the radio, I tried. The only way to get at it is laying on your back with your head near and around the go pedal. Look directly above the tranny hump on the firewall, there should be two 10mm nuts that hold it in place. You'll need a deep well 10mm socket, I also used a tiny crecent wrench. Most of the removal will be done by feel because its very difficult to see while your removing the mounting nuts. There should be three connectors on the bottom of the VSM, make sure to remove those first.
Your new VSM has to be programmed by FORD. I did manage to save some money by removing the VSM from the firewall and left it dangling with the three connectors still attached. That way the FORD tech could just unplug the old one, plug in the new one and program it. Then I mounted it back to the firewall when I got home. I think I paid around a $100.
I was all set to use my blow tourch.....Any idea besides the dealer where i can get one?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
JMac444
Senior User
Dealer is your only option with the vsm or gem module, w/e u wanna call it. They have to program it as well.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Jzinkiewicz
Senior User
That's what I thought. $100 is not so bad.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Jzinkiewicz
Senior User
Originally Posted by JMac444
Dealer is your only option with the vsm or gem module, w/e u wanna call it. They have to program it as well.
Looks like you and I have the same kind of truch...Any other issues that you have run into. Electrical, mechanical??

Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
I was all set to use my blow tourch.....Any idea besides the dealer where i can get one?
I know this is a long shot, but if you can find a salvage yard that has an 02 model truck that is just like yours...it's an idea.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Jzinkiewicz
Senior User
Yea, I know what you mean but it may be penny wise and dollar foolish, especially when the 2002 models seem to have the same VSM problems. If it was a mechanical part then I would be inclined to do that but with electrical parts I'm not so confident. I have a friend who is a ford mechanic that moonlights on the side...He loves doing things outside work.

Quick Reply: Vsm