Sponsored by:

When will diesel prices go down ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
Actually here they are wanting to do what they call a mileage tax. Since all new vehicles are coming equipped with gps stuff on them now, on the station tanks you have a scanner that reads the mileage off your gps for how far you've driven since your last fill up and charges a tax on how many miles you drive(that will really kill me that's for sure if they actually implement that). Other then the infrastructure problem, there are a few other problems with something like that, but if all the OBD-III stuff gets on vehicles that will be the next thing on there I'm sure.
Don't know where you heard that, but that would be nearly freaking impossible. Kind of like the gps in your passport card & drivers license.

It's supposed to be a .40 increase in FED tax per gallon of fuel. .40 over 5 years. It is currently at 18.4 cpg. State tax varies, of course, but that would go up as well.

Here is a good read:
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/446532.html

Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=empiretc]Don't know where you heard that, but that would be nearly freaking impossible. Kind of like the gps in your passport card & drivers license.

It's supposed to be a .40 increase in FED tax per gallon of fuel. .40 over 5 years. It is currently at 18.4 cpg. State tax varies, of course, but that would go up as well.

Here is a good read:
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/446532.html[/QUOTE]

Got to love how we elect people in office to in turn screw us over in the end

Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by empiretc
Don't know where you heard that, but that would be nearly freaking impossible. Kind of like the gps in your passport card & drivers license.
Technology is there, if you don't think it is then your out in a cave somewhere, the only problem would be the logistics of getting it installed at the gas pumps. I heard it on the televised state government meeting here that was one of the proposals for this state. It was either to raise the state tax on a gallon or do the gps thing and the argument for the gps is that your supposedly hitting the people that drive more harder then the ones that don't and for those that don't have gps equipped vehicles will just pay the regular state tax so those that are in favor of the gps are trying to throw a bone out there that they won't raise the state mandated tax for those that for whatever reason don't get gps equipped vehicles, unless the government passes a law that states that there has to be a gps device on the car rather or not the driver has navigation for driving directions. Considering OBD-III will have those types of transponders on them, the ease of doing that will be very high, the only deal would be to mandate OBD-III on vehicles and there are some issues with that, none of which are technology based.

Last edited by tex25025; 01-16-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:51 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Never , They only go one way

Up

Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM
johnny567
Senior User
I always found it strange, just when the car companys were talking about all these small diesel engines for their cars & the great mileage they could achieve, that diesel skyrocketed & has stayed there ever since.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:58 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by johnny567
I always found it strange, just when the car companys were talking about all these small diesel engines for their cars & the great mileage they could achieve, that diesel skyrocketed & has stayed there ever since.

I remember that...

Old 01-20-2008, 08:17 AM
E40
Freshman User
Diesel went up as soon as I bought my first diesel truck. Therefore, it will go back down as soon as I get rid of mine. (No time soon!)

Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
We have a bargin going on here..We went down 3 cents over the weekend..

Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Explain this:

Three gas stations, all on the same street within a mile of each other. 3.19 at Town and Country, 3.15 at Valero.... 3.40 at Chevron? What I really don't get is that Cheron is packed everytime I drive by, and their gas and diesel prices are 10-20 cents above the rest of town normally. I want to go there and hear someone complain about the price, then let them in on the apparently HUGE secret that there's a station not 300 yards away where its 20 cents cheaper.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by empiretc

Here is a good read:
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/446532.html
That's no worse than local govenment selling Toll Roads, with a provision that competing, alternate routes will get additional stoplights, and no major maintainance for a number of years. In order to force motorists onto their private toll road.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:37 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Well from what I have seen They have gone down 3-7 cents in the last week. Started over-the-road driving Jan. of 06 Price then was about 2.-2.50. Happy now to get it for 3.01 in Oke. City. Wish it would go down, I would make more money! Check out diesel boss for truck stop prices, cash listed 8 cents more for credit. Or. And Il is 20-25 cents higher for credit.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:48 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by E40
Diesel went up as soon as I bought my first diesel truck. Therefore, it will go back down as soon as I get rid of mine. (No time soon!)
Same here.

The price will go down but will be above where it was, so everyone will be happy prices droped even though you're paying 20 cents more than befor the hike then same time next year prices will shoot up again then drop.

Just the oil companies way of makeing us except higher prices. gass prices have been doing this for years now its our turn to feel the love.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
When I bought my Diesel it was .99 cents a gallon

Old 01-20-2008, 05:03 PM
cando
Senior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
Actually here they are wanting to do what they call a mileage tax. Since all new vehicles are coming equipped with gps stuff on them now, on the station tanks you have a scanner that reads the mileage off your gps for how far you've driven since your last fill up and charges a tax on how many miles you drive(that will really kill me that's for sure if they actually implement that). Other then the infrastructure problem, there are a few other problems with something like that, but if all the OBD-III stuff gets on vehicles that will be the next thing on there I'm sure.
I hate to say it but if they did that, I would purposly go out and buy the oldest cheapest thing I could drive. If it werent for all these people wanting "this and that, and somebody else to pay for it"............ we probably would have as many tax problems!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
duallyking
Freshman User
Originally Posted by George D.
Same here.

The price will go down but will be above where it was, so everyone will be happy prices droped even though you're paying 20 cents more than befor the hike then same time next year prices will shoot up again then drop.

Just the oil companies way of makeing us except higher prices. gass prices have been doing this for years now its our turn to feel the love.
+2
I went diesel since it has always been cheaper than gas. When I just bought my truck, the prices were around 2.80. Since fall, it jumped to 3.50. I only seen a 10 cent drop recently. 20 cents at the major gas stations for semis. I'm wondering if everyone got into the diesel trend and that drove up diesel prices too.

Quick Reply: When will diesel prices go down ?