2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Performance Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 PM
mrtoyman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Tuners

Thinking of getting a tuner but can't seem to find a manufacturer that supports a 2007 Expedition.

Has anyone installed one and how is the performance ?.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 AM
IQ9
Senior User
I have looked and found nothing for the 2007 or 2008.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 PM
mrtoyman
New User
Originally Posted by IQ9
I have looked and found nothing for the 2007 or 2008.
I e-mailed Troyer Performance before and they replied that they need the PCM code but never got the chance to look for the PCM code.

Does it mean that with custom tunes it is possible with the right PCM code? But i really dont want to go that way unless it is necessary because of the wait time to get the tunes.

I have a stock Edge Evolution in my F150 and i am very happy with it so far.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 PM
nfntruth
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrtoyman
I e-mailed Troyer Performance before and they replied that they need the PCM code but never got the chance to look for the PCM code.

Does it mean that with custom tunes it is possible with the right PCM code? But i really dont want to go that way unless it is necessary because of the wait time to get the tunes.

I have an XcalII programmer that I used on my 06 explorer, it will work with the Expedition, but I too am waiting for the tune. I have been working with Bamachips, but they dont have a tune for the new 5.4L with the 6 speed. He said before spring they should have one.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
I emailed troyer performance as well, recently and gave them my pcm code to see if they could do anything with it. There response was that there is that the sct programmer and software they use is not compatible with the new computers yet. She said she thought it would be available eventually, especially since this computer will probably end up in the new F150.
Originally Posted by mrtoyman

Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
nfntruth
Senior User
Pretty much the same reply I got from Bama chips,they did my 06 Explorer. Cant wait for the tunes, I got an extra 2mpg with my Explorer tuned. Also got a much better low end for towing with the torque tune as well as a much throatier sound. I especially like the ability to read codes, change the various parameters of the engine and the computer, like making my speedometer accurate again and real time diagnostics with a laptop.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:19 AM
nolyaw
New User
5startuning.com They have the SCT tune available.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
I have an x3 for my 07 Expedition. I bought it through Mike at 5 Star Tuning. Mike made me a custom 87 economy (which I never use), 87 performance (used mostly), and a 93 Performance. Noticed a major difference in driving, alot more fun to drive, no more delay in the feel of the pedal, plus i am getting better gas mileage and i was able to change the computer to my new size tire so the speedo is on.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM
nolyaw
New User
What's the gas mileage?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
gas mileage is around 13-15 around town dependent on how big of a rush i am in. Remember though I have a truxxx leveling kit and 33 in tires added. Before I added the tuner, I was getting around 10-12 in the city. I am by no means a slow driver and I still get on it frequently. It made the biggest difference on the highway. If I stay between 70 and 80 I can average 20-22 depending on terrain. Even going over 80 which seems alot easier to do the rpms still seem to run lower. When I agreed to do the beta test with Mike at 5 star (he didnt pay me), I was just tired of the crappy way my expedition drove, and he offered to see what he could do with these newer expeditions by playing with the programming. I figured I was not the only guy out there that thought the throttle response sucked. We went through probably 3 or so different programs under each of the different levels before I found the one I thought was perfect amount of added fun, without sacrificing mpg. There was actually a file that I dont have loaded on the X3 that really gave the engine a lot more torque and ump, but it really hurt the fuel economy, so we modified it and it still gives the truck quite a bit more ump while still giving better fuel economy. I will say though that this gas they are selling now did lower my mpg recently. I always get gas at the same place and ever since the temps have been lower outside my fuel economy has gone down slightly. My brother in law says its the different formulas of fuel these stations sell at different times of year. Hope this helps. Mike did do a good job and he is very easy to work with. I read somewhere earlier on a forum that it was taking them forever to get the programming, Mike had all my updates within a day and a few times within a few hours.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 AM
nolyaw
New User
She is getting 14.4 on our 2008 Limited EL expo now, I was hoping to improve on that. I have talked to Mike thru emails, and will be getting the SCT soon. Throttle response at the bottom SUCKS right now, hoping to improve on that. You can imagine what it feels like hopping out of my GT500, then into that. SSSLLLOOOWWW.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:55 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am really curious just how a tuner (I have never had one) can be much help on MPG given the lean mixtures the late models use. Where is the extra "richness" they can eliminate ? After working and building some of my own trannys, (especially AOD's) I can see a real benefit in controlling the shifting points because, even with a shift kit, they are not good for all conditions. There are times I dont want a tire chirp on shifts when I am not in a hurry, especially when I am beside a green/white or a black/yellow.

I am sure to start something when I say that the 5.4 in my 07 expy has plenty of power for most conditions. No doubt a little light for lots of towing. In fact, for most conditions, the low gear starts could work with a 2nd gear start. Maybe that would hurt MPG, because slight lugging of the engine may cost fuel. I cant do the 2nd gear start (mostly for town traffic) because it will not auto shift up.

Do you guys that have tuners know where the MPG benefit is? I dont know if it is worth the $$.$$ just to get manual control over shifting parameters----unless thats where the MPG really is---!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:42 AM
nolyaw
New User
SCT's slogan, printed right on the tuner- is "More Power, Less Fuel". Changing the parameters makes these new computer controlled vehicles FEEL like night and day. It,s hard to explain, until you feel it. You just have to take a leap of faith and lay down the $379. Picture every mod you've ever done in the past 15 years. Exhausts, air intakes, cams, whatever....remember trying to feel a seat of the pants difference? When you actually do feel a little something, you're excited. When you put that tune in there, its an immediate, noticable, completely different feel from the vehicle. I have not put one in the expo yet, but from my 2009 Bullitt, 2007 GT 500, and the 2005 GT I had, you LIVE by the tune. You can take a stock car and make it a monster with the tune. Feels like one anyway. Have you ever driven a new Tundra or Sequoia? After you do, you won't think you're expy has plenty of power. It's a bad dog off the light. Mike at 5 star says he can liven it up. That's what they need. Can't wait until they can rectify the goofy first to second shift change pattern.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuners are definitely interesting, but with the lean mixtures of today, they have to get the extra power from somewhere. I can understand if the mfg's are running a little rich for a safety margin for warranty considerations, and maybe the extra performance comes from a better timing curve than what it takes for emissions reasons. Maybe there is enough slop that tuners can optimize. I am just curious where they pick up that power and economy to boot, it has to come from somewhere.

For the power issue, I dont need a "tyoter" or a "seequarya" to judge the power my 5.4 has, no more than I have to drink a pepsi to determine if I like a coca-cola. My old 427 vette did not determine whether or not a 351 mustang was adequate. Certainly some cars are faster than others, but that has nothing to do with the purpose of another. I am afraid that we have become jaded in thinking or equating speed to success.
I respect anyone elses opinion, but I stick by my statement in the previous post, that the 5.4 "has plenty of power for most conditions". That 6 speed with the 4.17 low is the difference. What a difference in that and the 2.76/2.42 of the E4OD/C6. I dont know what some people do off from the lights, but for sure, in most conditions, you cannot even use it all. I have no intention of taking this tank to a strip for a time to compare to someone else, there are other things for that

Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 PM
nolyaw
New User
Well the 5.4 IS underpowered for a vehicle of my EL's size, in my opinion. Factory tunes are geared completely around EMMISSIONS, period. Get rid of that in the scalars, its a new ballgame. And I am not asking to use all the trucks power. When you take off at a light, its tough for it to get going. I know the proper tune will change that. Thats what I, personally, am looking for. Around town driveability.

Quick Reply: Performance Tuners