80-20 blends with straight oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Finnzo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80-20 blends with straight oil

Good morning! Any of you guys heard about mixing regular fryer oil (not biodiesel -- undigested, just filtered) at 5:1 with dino diesel? My stepdad tells me he's been doing this for four years with his crapped-out old Merc 300SD and there've been no problems with it other than a more aggressive oil filter change schedule. He told me there was an Idaho State University study that determined that this was A-OK. Now I've found a local source for filtered fish-n-chip sauce for a buck a gallon and I'm thinking about giving it a try.

Thanks!

--Finn

Old 12-18-2007, 01:27 PM
jimmeste
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this web site. These guys are talking about this stuff all the time.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums

Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
[QUOTE=jimmeste]Check out this web site. These guys are talking about this stuff all the time.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums[/QUOTE]

Go to the main sub-forum page there and check out the Solvent Blending forum.

I put 75% WVO in my truck and 85% in my car. Been at it for almost 2 years now.

I've posted plenty here. Search my screen name or just Google it

Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
I read some research papers from Europe from back in the 80's dealing with blending. Anything more than a 50/50 blend would end up coking the injectors and/or rings. Its a risky way to go...I was doing it with my POS Jetta I had but since switching to a diesel Merc, I won't take the chance....

I did however read an article from a farmer that was working with a chemist and he claimed that adding RUG to the mix (10%) would chemically alter the WVO so it didn't 'string' when tested on an injector bench tester. Lots of opinions... not alot of concrete facts...

Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Finnzo
Junior User
Well, I might just give it a try -- starting out with a nice conservative 80-20 blend. The thing is, I'm driving a 17-year-old IDI diesel truck. If I had a $30,000 Powerstroke to wreck, it would be a lot harder to justify trying something like this, but with this old 'Binder burner, parts are relatively cheap and the whole truck can be replaced for less than $4,000. I'm tempted to go with a higher mixture and pitch a little gasoline in there to get the viscosity down -- maybe an 8-4-1 gallon mix of diesel-vegoil-gas -- but hey, it's winter -- now's not the time to be taking those kinds of risks.

Cheers! Thanks for the info, everybody!

--Finn

Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Speaking as someone with a heavy background in organic and bio chemistry, there is no way RUG will "chemically alter" WVO.

Blending is a crapshoot you are gambling your motor to save a few bucks, it's your decision I will not.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Finnzo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88

Blending is a crapshoot you are gambling your motor to save a few bucks, it's your decision I will not.
That's right, it is a gamble. And after spending a couple weeks on research, I've decided I like the odds. They're much better than craps.

Cheers!

--Finn