Sponsored by:

Rear view camera in 3rd brake light

Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 AM
larspetter123
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear view camera in 3rd brake light

Hi,
For a while back, I think it was sometime last year, I saw a 3rd brake light on ebay that had a rear view camera built into it.

I am thinking of making a similar set up myself, by cut out and mount a camera in the senter of the 3rd brake light. This will give me 2 bulbs instead of 3, but I think that it will be enough brake light.

I have not decided wich camera to use yet, but the space is limited and I want to have night vision as well, so I am still searcing for a suitable camera that have the specs and size I want.

Any of you tried this?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
2xtremexj
Senior User
That seems like a lot more effort than just putting it on the license plate surround. Do you really want it that high?

Most of the cameras I am familiar with are too large to fit inside the dimentions of the rear brake light. I know that there are others that are really small but I don't know the manufacturers off the top of my head.

Let us know how it works I would like to see this when complete.

Michael

Old 11-20-2007, 01:04 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
I did a quick google search and found this one SUV BackUp Camera but it's pricey!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 PM
GnFnRs
Freshman User
i bought a cam for my old expy, and mounted it in the key hole of the hatch..got keyless entry no need for a key in the hatch anyway.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I would like to have the screen on the rear view mirror like some of the new 2008s have. Would the camera from the 2008s work, or what about this one on the license plate. i also have this website.Here are the cameras on the 2008s

Old 11-22-2007, 08:38 AM
4wdbeast
Junior User
Have been through the same thinking process...

1. I currently have the license frame camera. I actually wished that it was mounted higher to give more of a "bird's eye" view.
2. Although there is a lot of hype about "super" wide angle, I find it more confusing to have the entire parking lot on my screen. A 90 degree angle would just be fine.
3. The more expensive and better cameras are CCD, the cheap ones are CMOS. If it doesn't state what it is, it's likely CMOS.
4. The smalles and best camera I've found is this one:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/yanlab...ew_camera.html

or here:
http://www.security-cameras-cctv.com...nes-p-704.html

It mounts in a hole of just under an inch and is less than 3 inch long. It doesn't have infra-red illumination, but with my backup lights that's not an issue. Still too big to mount in the brakelight.

There is also a bracket mounted one that could be arranged to tuck under the brake light, or mounted INSIDE to peek through the rear hatch glass for a safe and stealth install:
http://www.security-cameras-cctv.com...nes-p-705.html

or:
http://www.supercircuits.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=5628

6. You can mount the above next to the license plate but it requires drilling through metal. Can also be mounted in the keyhole but there is no wire harness running from the lower doors, so you have to fabricate a water tight, abrasive resistant conduit. Problems with kinking and repeated flexing...

7. This spy-camera could easily be mounted INSIDE the brake light, or glued against the rear hatch glass:
http://www.spysonic.com/Mini-Camera-...s-p-18023.html

Like to hear some thoughts!

Bart

Old 11-22-2007, 11:11 AM
XHunter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are neat if you want to spend the money...so it is the same or better than what you can get in the new SD

http://www.savv.com/listItems.asp?idCategory=7

find the model number you like the google it!

Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I really like this camera, do you all think we could put this camera in the liftgate handle or maybe the 3rd brake light. Can this camera be wired in into a monitior in the rear view mirror like the SuperDuties have. What if we get the entire rear view camera kit from a SuperDuty or a Expedition and see if we can somehow put it into the Excursion
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/yanla...iew_camera.html

Old 11-22-2007, 03:08 PM
XHunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
I really like this camera, do you all think we could put this camera in the liftgate handle or maybe the 3rd brake light. Can this camera be wired in into a monitior in the rear view mirror like the SuperDuties have. What if we get the entire rear view camera kit from a SuperDuty or a Expedition and see if we can somehow put it into the Excursion
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/yanla...iew_camera.html
probly cheaper and easier to go aftermarket.......check out www.savv.com as stated in my post above...

Old 11-22-2007, 04:53 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by XHunter
probly cheaper and easier to go aftermarket.......check out www.savv.com as stated in my post above...
But where would I put, say this camera.Do you think I could put it into the liftgate's handle, it seems small enough to fit in that spot. If I could get it there I would want to see the display on the rear view mirror, how would I do that?

Old 11-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
This is something I have wanted to do for a long time, but did not know where to put the monitor. I did not want it sitting on top of the dash, nor did I want to use one of those clip on mirror jobbies.

Now I'm thinkin' that I have to do some research on getting an 08 SD mirror that has the monitor...and mount the camera of my choice. I liked one made by Kenwood (I think) which I think would mount above the hitch but under the bumper.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:03 PM
XHunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
But where would I put, say this camera.Do you think I could put it into the liftgate's handle, it seems small enough to fit in that spot. If I could get it there I would want to see the display on the rear view mirror, how would I do that?
well...you could put it in the barn doors...they are only fiberglass so you could put it low enough to get a good angle. or go with an external camera and put it on the trailer hitch/bumper area

everyone keep saying to get the SD rearview mirror but aftermarket will be much easier and cheaper!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:08 AM
larspetter123
Junior User
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. IŽve still not decided what solution to go for, but I am very tempted to fabricate "my own" 3rd brake light with camera. I seem to prefer the "birds eye" view. I think that this is the best view when hooking up the trailer, and in the same time giving an acceptable view when it comes to securing that there is no kids getting hurt back there.

Regarding the monitor, IŽll either replace the stock radio with a dbl din radio/cd/dvd with 7" monitor (on my wishlist for x-mas), or I will put a seperate slim monitor on the back side of my sun visior.

But first of all IŽll need a spare light to cut in, and see if this will work. Will try to find a used one. Did find one on ebay a couple of weeks ago, but the seller wanted $30 for the light + $50 s/h for sending it to Norway. I found that a bit pricey, so IŽll keep searching.

Will keep you posted, hopefully with pictures.

Thanks again.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:07 AM
rode-rash
New User
this is the camera that i put in my excursion over a year ago and it has been great. it is hooked to a pioneer d-2 head unit, which alows you to split the screen between camera and gps if you want to keep an eye on what your towing.

http://www.hmiinternational.com/

Old 12-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Okay..I've done some homework and here's my plan.

The '08 SD rear view mirrors are made by Gentex. A very similiar unit is available directly from them at a much cheaper price than Ford. It is a auto dimming mirror with the monitor...the screen is the same size as the Ford unit.

The Gentex mirror is available on line, and a site sponsor will soon be carrying them. (I don;t know if it's okay to mention it yet as I do not see it listed on their site...but I know they are coming)

As far as cameras go, I'm not100% sure yet, but I think I am going to take a page from a fellow poster, and mount a Kenwood CCD-2000 (That's the recent version) on top of the hitch, but under the bumper.

I had planned on getting one of the high mount stoplight jobs, but the company told me that you cannot see your hitch, or the rear bumper with their camera so I decided against that one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear view camera in 3rd brake light