Which Ford is best for WVO?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:55 PM
AdamBailey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Ford is best for WVO?

Hi,
I'm planning on buying an inexpensive truck and installing a WVO system. This will be my first attempt and would appreciate your advice. Are older diesels easier to convert? Which engines seem to hold up the best?
Thank you!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:04 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdamBailey
Hi,
I'm planning on buying an inexpensive truck and installing a WVO system. This will be my first attempt and would appreciate your advice. Are older diesels easier to convert? Which engines seem to hold up the best?
Thank you!
What do you consider inexpensive?

I am running a 96 7.3 with a 2 tank setup. Front tank has a heater to heat the WVO. The fuel lines are heated along with the WVO fuel filter.

It is best start on diesel and switch over to WVO when the fuel is 160 F.

I have about $1000 into my system. A kit will run you between $1000 and $3500. you get what you pay for.

What do you know about Diesels engines?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
blksiryder
Elder User
i have a deal i can get wvo from a place a family member works for free. what woul i have do do to run this in my truck. i know i have to get the kit but as far a cleaning it. would i have to cook it first and then filter it or is there a way ti filter it and get the water and crap out all at the same time?

Ryder

Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
There aren't any short cuts.
If you don"t run clean fuel you will pay in the long run.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
littledre1
Senior User
Google "Vegistroke". That's the system that I'll probably put in my truck someday. It costs close to $4000 installed but "wilbd" said it best "you get what you pay for". I don't think that there's a beter system designed for 7.3/6.0 trucks.

There are many different ways to filter/dewater WVO. If you do a google search on "WVO filtering" lots of stuff will come up. The setup that you chose to go with depends on how much time and $$$$ you want to spend. From the research that I've done you can filter & dewater with a centrifuge. That's probably the route that I would go however it's a little expensive on the front end.

What has kept me from doing the conversion is that I just don't have enought time to collect and filter oil weekly. WVO is great if you have the time/money to get everything going right.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 AM
willbd
Senior User
Originally Posted by blksiryder
i have a deal i can get wvo from a place a family member works for free. what woul i have do do to run this in my truck. i know i have to get the kit but as far a cleaning it. would i have to cook it first and then filter it or is there a way ti filter it and get the water and crap out all at the same time?

Ryder
I filter to 1 micron with a bag filter housing. Heat is your friend when it comes to filtering WVO.

Check out this link. http://forums.ford-trucks.com/forums...4372/site_id/1

Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone with only slight fabrication skills and mechanical skills can build their own kit. 94 back 6.9 and 7.3 IDI engines are much more forgiving and inexpensive (compared to powerstroke) to fix. The key is having it very filtered, and getting the grease hot. Most kits rely on engine coolant. I put a heated fuel filter in the back of the truck, coming out of a 50 gal round big truck tank, its a Racor heated filter with heater hose fittings on it, ran heater hose back to it. The metal fuel lines on a old Ford already run right next to the tranny and engine, which helps a lot, in fact, when the engine has been running a while, if you push the bleed plug, you will notice the fuel is already pretty hot coming out. The key is all in heating the fuel, if you have good clean, filtered grease, WITH NO WATER, and its good and hot when it hits the engine, it will burn great.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 AM
AdamBailey
New User
94 and Earlier

Thanks for all of the advice.

I'll look for a pre-'94 vehicle (probably an F-150) and get some more mechanically inclined friends to help with the conversion.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:08 AM
Flea
Elder User
Won't work on an F150. Has to be a diesel. Diesels weren't offered in F150s.
Also check out Goldenfuelsystems.com I love my kit and their customer service. They will install and warranty or you can install. Not hard. What you do is build up a collection of WVO and filter in about 2 hours. We use bucket heaters inside a tank and leave them overnight and then next day filter for about 2 hours and we filter about 200-300 gallons a time and then we will sit for another month and then filter again.
My kit comes with a 100 gal. tank. 50 gal. for clean with a pickup in it and sending unit and 50 gal. for collecting dirty and pumping in to a barrel later.
F

Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM
94f250veguy
Junior User
2x the IDI diesels from mid 94 back
no computers so there just easy to change over

Old 11-21-2007, 10:39 AM
willbd
Senior User
Originally Posted by 94f250veguy
2x the IDI diesels from mid 94 back
no computers so there just easy to change over

I think the computer makes the power stroke a better choice for WVO. I agree that IDI has a less risk of coking the pistons but the injection system of the power stroke is better for WVO if your have a good heated fuel system.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM
misnomer
Senior User
I am in the middle of setting up my '84 F250 that I bought for $1200 a year ago. I bought a HotFox fuel pickup and figure that by wrapping the coolant lines with the fuel line it should maintain temp, I am also recirculating the return line fuel (to limit oxidation). I left the 6 port switch and am just adding a 1 to 2 port switch after it. Then mounting a heated Dahl 100 fuel filter in the place where the original filter was and on the firewall I am putting Racor filter (i found one on a F250 at the wrecking yard mounted where the water separator was, cost me $9) When I am on the front diesel tank I will be using the Racor filter, then when I switch to the rear I will be running WVO through the heated Dahl filter. I have a recirculation line going in right after the filter and at the 6 port switch. I installed a electric fuel pump for each tank, and left the stock pump which is mounted to the block for the WVO tank. With the IP cradled in the center of the engine there is no way I will be able to inject "cool" WVO, not mention the fact it is IDI. The HotFox was the most expensive item. I am also installing it on a oversized 38 gal rear tank.. i figured if I had it out I should upgrade it while I am at it.