South Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SC_Hoaty

New Home Relocation Military

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Home Relocation Military

ok moving to south caroline on the 14th on nov like in a couple days and i will be there for about a year and some. i will be able to have my truck down there after christmas. wondering what type of clubs mud bogs or off road parks are near Charleston. i will be living on the base but i am granted weekend liberty (controlled freedom) and be able to participate during the weeks i will be in school and studying a little and working on my truck alot in the auto shop they have on base. i was happy about that so let me know i will be completely new to the area.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Welcome to South Carolina!
Tho.... I'm a good 4-5hrs away from Charleston (was born there) I know we have a few users fairly Close... hopefully they can chime in

Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 AM
92F150Flare
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wish I could help........Just don't do much of that with my lowered 2 wheeler........

If you're going to be at the air base you won't have any trouble finding where the 4x4 guys go. I heard about a spot out Rte 61 toward Walterboro and I'm sure there are more.
There's a couple of 4 wheeling shops on Dorchester Rd....toward Charleston from the base too.

If you need help with any of your wrenching, I can point you to a couple of good honest shops. Call me at 843-906-6244......be glad to help.

Thanks for your service!!

Bob

Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to South Carolina YoungMT Hick!

And thank you for your Service!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
ok i am here i like this 70 degree weather. that means i can get a BIKE ANd ride it all the time. yes my truck is still in montana. does anyone have any idea how to get it down here reasonable. i have heard of the water boro one already. trying to find out who the gear heads are here. as for the good shops to go to thanks. we have an auto hobby shop on base so most work i will remain to do but yes projects that the shop tools cannont handle will go to a reliable shop. so that will help later. i am in goose creek sc on the naval base i am allowed my truck after christmas and will be here for about a year and a half so plenty of time to mud bog.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:16 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by YoungMT Hick
does anyone have any idea how to get it down here reasonable..
A buddy of mine had a "roommate" (?) while at Fort Jackson that was transferred from a base out of Wyoming or Colorado... and somehow he managed to get ahold of someone that ...could arrange to Find space on military transports (OTR). So if I recall correctly... this "someone" had the "room-mate's" truck driven up on ramps and covered on to a flatbed trailer (along w/ some other military "stuff") then Driven down to Ft. Jackson- then off-loaded. My only assumption is that the "room-mate" had to sign some-sort of waiver to make sure the truck driver wasn't held responsible for the load or condition of arrival.

So maybe someone associated w/ equipment logistics there at the Goose Creek base can recommend a method or a service provider?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 AM
4Cammer72
Elder User
why not just keep an eye out for the clean bodied trucks we have around here and get yourself a beater you can flog for your stay and save the money on shipping for the good parts for your truck at home. you can find decent 4x4s around here pretty easily.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:56 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 4Cammer72
why not just keep an eye out for the clean bodied trucks we have around here and get yourself a beater you can flog for your stay and save the money on shipping for the good parts for your truck at home. you can find decent 4x4s around here pretty easily.
....I thought I replied already..
But you did bring up a great idea and point Steve...
I know of a few early 70s to mid 90s F-series trucks with lit'l to zero rust for less than 2500-3000bux. They even run fairly decent iirc.

On Edit: I did find a AutoTransport online "outsourcing" company....From Laurel, MT to Chas, SC- for a '75 F150 LB (LB for worse case scenario for the truck being a lifted 4x4?)
It was listing it as approx. $1,175.00 w/a $150 dep.

So without knowing what you may want to spend...your options look open...
Ref: http://www.autotransportdirect.com/

Last edited by FTE Trigger; 11-17-2007 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
wow thanks man for the lookup. ya i thought about the military transfer. we have an airforce base in greatfalls about 300 miles from where i live drive it there load it on a plane and fly it to the sirforce base down here. i just have to figure out who to talk to

Old 11-23-2007, 08:47 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It's not likely nowadays that you'd get a POV on an aircraft manifest, what with all the focus on "Fraud, Waste, and Abuse".

The bright side is that there are plenty of cheap Fords down here, no emissions inspections, etc. Stock up on good sheet metal for your trucks back home.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:56 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
ya i did look at one company that was mentioned on here and i believe i will go with them. that was brought to my attention. does anyone know if there is any bumper laws, tires, mud flaps, emissions, checks laws or anything that will get me a tiket down here. dont know where to check. hopfully have my truck around mid january. ready for mud boggin day after mid january

Old 11-24-2007, 10:20 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Let us know what goes on... maybe we'll have a lit'l somthing on a weekend to welcome you in...

Old 11-25-2007, 01:57 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
oh hell ya the day after i get it down here i am finding the first south carolina mud hole and seeing if a montana truck can take i guarentee it will. lol trying not to be over confident. promise you i will be looking for a good engine builder close to or on base. hopefully i will swap the 360 for a blown 460. ya gas mileage from 8 the about 4.5 hell ya. lol. cant wait to get it down here. but i am thinking about mid january. thanks guys for the welcome. soon to get muddy

Old 11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"if there is any bumper laws, tires, mud flaps, emissions, checks laws or anything that will get me a tiket down here. dont know where to check"

No emissions or other inspections, and the only thing I've ever been popped for is a noise ticket many years ago. Basic advice is to have all your paperwork straight in case you go through a checkpoint, but you are used to that anyway.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM
YoungMT Hick
Senior User
hell in montana there is no check point for anything. i have liscense regristration and insurance only paper work i have. no cats so 02 sensors. no bull****. ya i was thinking about the noise issue i might **** people off on base thats the only thing. glass packs and a flame exhaust kit that can sound like a gun shot lol.

Quick Reply: New Home Relocation Military