New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

I Really Need Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM
runitsdafuzz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Really Need Help!!!!!

this might sound like an odd question but does anyone in the rochester/chili area willing to come look at my truck and possibly help me fix it im only 17 dont know very much but willing to learn as much as i can. thanks

Old 11-07-2007, 04:03 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by runitsdafuzz
this might sound like an odd question but does anyone in the rochester/chili area willing to come look at my truck and possibly help me fix it im only 17 dont know very much but willing to learn as much as i can. thanks
Why don't you tell us the problem you are having, and hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

year
FI/carb
motor
model
And anyting else we need to know.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM
runitsdafuzz
New User
1990 f250 fuel injected i was told its a 351 windsor havent checked the numbers yet, i have smoke comen out of the valve cover when its being revved or when im driving smoke pours out at about 2700 and up but when im in about 4th and 5th it kinda calms down cause of low rpms i was told multiple things like its the rings valves and some other stuff and i dont have a lot of money, i was going to do a compression test but couldnt because of weather and not having a big enough garage to work in and the fact it doesnt run because of possibly the alternator so weather hasnt been on my side and now i dont have a compression tester because it belongs to my teacher and i had to give it back.....so idk what to do anymore.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
No smoke coming from the exaust????? just from the motor?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:11 AM
freevilleron
Freshman User
sounds like its building pressure possible cause could be pvc could be plugged or vent tube drain ports in head could be plugged or sticking oil rings

Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by freevilleron
sounds like its building pressure possible cause could be pvc could be plugged or vent tube drain ports in head could be plugged or sticking oil rings
Yeah I agree, hence the question of where the smoke is coming from.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM
runitsdafuzz
New User
smoke comes out of the exhaust and the valve covers i change the pcv(positive crankcase ventilation) valve when i got it.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:07 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
You will have to do a compression test. It don't sound good tho.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:15 PM
freevilleron
Freshman User
have you checked the plugs to find out what cylinder is doing it

Old 11-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) Go for the PCV valve idea first. It is rightly called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve, and is there because some blow-by past the piston rings can happen, and it controls the buildup inside the engine by evacuating it to the intake manifold - right about when you have hi vaccuum, such as at sustained highway speeds. They often plug up with gunk over time.

2) Do the compression test as soon as possible, because you definitely have some blow-by, the question is HOW MUCH.

3) Take a look at your air filter. It could provide an indication of how much blow by has happened over time. They don't just fail overnight. If it's black with crud, it's a good time to spring for another one. To some degree they are cleanable, you'll have to see it to judge. May I suggest carb cleaner, compressed air, gloves, goggles, and the great outdoors... (It'll make a mess) *DON'T use gasoline.

4) If you are planning an oil change, you can try ONE pint of diesel in the oil before it is changed, run it for ten or twenty minutes, then drain it out well. This may flush most of the crud out of your engine, but if you do this - a new oil filter is a MUST HAVE, because it will be filled up with it all.

Old timers will tell you - DIESEL FUEL will clean out an engine better than ninety nine percent of what is sold in parts stores for three times as much money. I believe it is true. But you can't run it in there for very long. Twenty minutes tops, followed by a complete drain.

It may also have a long lasting effect in an engine that has been severely abused. In the valley area under the intake manifold - there is often a thick layer of built up crud that can only be loosened up gradually. You can't see it without removing the intake, so watch your OIL COLOR if you try this, for a while afterward. It could increase your need to replace the filter and oil if there really is a HUGE bunch of stuff in there.

But you might still save the engine!

I am not one to recommend "QUACK" strategies, by the way. Ask around about this, and see what others here say about it.

Last edited by Greywolf; 11-08-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:36 AM
freevilleron
Freshman User
4) If you are planning an oil change, you can try ONE pint of diesel in the oil before it is changed, run it for ten or twenty minutes, then drain it out well. This may flush most of the crud out of your engine, but if you do this - a new oil filter is a MUST HAVE, because it will be filled up with it all.

i was going to suggest this to but i figured someone would say something bad about it but this does work i have done it to one of my trucks

Old 11-09-2007, 04:22 AM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
my advice(not being a big motor head) is put the question to the guys in the 87-96 f150 and bigger section. those guys have bailed me out many times. the advice you've gotten here sounds good.. those guys will go into a ton of detail.
damn near an e-engine tear down

Old 12-19-2007, 07:25 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by runitsdafuzz
ANY UPDATES?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
None - I don't even know where the guy is AT.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
He hasn't been on FTE since 12-03-2007 at 09:07 PM so don't know if got his truck fixed or not.

Quick Reply: I Really Need Help!!!!!