Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Small G2G - Alabamabuddog came out to help me today....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Small G2G - Alabamabuddog came out to help me today....

We went after a trans for my Ranger, got one CLOSE to what it is, and it's kinda running. But it sounds like it's falling apart.

Buddy spent all day out here helping bolt it up too, so it's a crying dang shame that it turned out to be a messed up transmission, but there it is.

It howls like a mortal wounded critter in most of it's gears, I took it down to Glenn Springs and back.

Nothing working right sounds like this, so I will be back to the place I got it monday, to tell them "HEY, LOOK...."

And that's where it stands right now.

I can hardly believe the man spent his whole saturday helping me do this. "Bama is true ford blue all the way in and out! They don't come any better than that,

And plus - we got to hang out in a garage for the day

Old 11-03-2007, 07:22 PM
alabamabuddog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Problem.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 PM
alabamabuddog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dutch is there any chance that sound is the slave cylinder?

Old 11-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
If it were the slave, it would be constant in all gears, and only vary with engine rpm.

In reverse it sounds like a coffee grinder, in first and second it's very loud. In third it's quieter but still there. In fourth it goes away completely, and in fifth it's louder than ever.

It kinda tells me (after the experiences I've had because of this truck) that someone hammered the poop out of this box in low gears, then ran it a long way on the highway with no fluid in it. I bet it was owned by a youngster.

There are a number of avenues open now, all of them call for H.U.N.T. (Hours UnderNeath Truck!). In one, I go pay my water and insurance bills in cash on monday, then go to A&A and demo what the thing is doing. Then take it home and begin the process of pulling it right back out again so it can be returned, or exchanged.

I wish it was just the slave, it would be easier to slide it back under the truck, and just change that - even though it has a hi-dollar tag on it.

The garage is beginning to remind me of an H-3 helicopter hanger, with pools of red fluid all over the floor! F-14's were like that too, if they didn't leak they were out of hydro.

This sux. Why couldn't it have been ONE shot, and no hassles? I'm more than a little bummed at finding this at the far end of all that messing with it. As clean as that little white truck looked - I'm pretty sure now that the tranny was the reason it was in the boneyard to begin with. Somebody didn't want to go there...

Old 11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
In the morning, I'm going to pull it up and start tearing it down again

It sounded like crap, but I got my errands run. Right front brake was smoking too. I bet it rusted in it's track

Last edited by Greywolf; 11-05-2007 at 04:09 PM.