Who'da thunk there would be a special AR chapter

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 PM
MaryfPoppins
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Who'da thunk there would be a special AR chapter

Hi there,
I am new to this website and this forum. Yes I live in Arkansas, tho if you read my intro I am a Yankee by birth. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good trustworthy shop near Altus? I have a '96 Bronco with a high idle problem and the only code it shows is P1131. I wish I still had my '79 as it was much easier to figure out. Glad to know there are fellow Ford lovers in AR!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Welcome to the board and to the AR chapter. I have no clue about shops down in your area (or here for that matter).

Things are sort of slow in here right now (weather?), but maybe somone will pop in with information to help you.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:00 PM
MaryfPoppins
Junior User
Thanks Brian_B

I thought I might have everyone stumped or I gave too much info when I posted my problem on the Bronco forum. Hopefully someone will have some ideas as I have a trip to OK coming up the end of Nov. and taking my daughters '91 F150 is not an option.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MaryfPoppins
Hi there,
I am new to this website and this forum. Yes I live in Arkansas, tho if you read my intro I am a Yankee by birth. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good trustworthy shop near Altus? I have a '96 Bronco with a high idle problem and the only code it shows is P1131. I wish I still had my '79 as it was much easier to figure out. Glad to know there are fellow Ford lovers in AR!
Just to point out something...the older they are the easier they all are to work on. It is soooo much easier to work on my 56 than my 01. it is much more enjoyable getting greasy on an older one without all the computer stuff too.

I know nothing about the codes, but is the throttle body stuck open a little bit? I had an older ranger that did that once and the throttle body was nasty and sticking open farther than it should.

I would think somone in that forum would be of some help. Hmm....

Old 10-31-2007, 05:09 PM
MaryfPoppins
Junior User
Brian, Brian,Brian.....

That wasn't very nice( the ex- wife comment), I happen to like my Ruth ! It's not her fault she's old and crotchity. If you had to double as a farm truck hauling a horse trailer while your main job was as the "Family Truckster" you might get alittle cranky too. By the way she is named after a dragon in a book by Anne McCaffrey, the Pern series. You along with Kemicalburns and Bronco 308 have given me some new leads to follow. I was able to accomplish one thing today. My teenage daughter called me on her way to school ,her '91 F150 was overheating. Another trip to O'Reilly's (we should get frequent flyer miles ) 2 heater hoses and some coolant and she is back on the road. The next thing I have to tackle on her truck is replacing the speedo cable, valve cover gaskets and replace the pwrstring pump(leaks as bad or worsethan the valve covers) Happy Halloween!!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:43 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MaryfPoppins
That wasn't very nice( the ex- wife comment), I happen to like my Ruth ! It's not her fault she's old and crotchity. If you had to double as a farm truck hauling a horse trailer while your main job was as the "Family Truckster" you might get alittle cranky too. By the way she is named after a dragon in a book by Anne McCaffrey, the Pern series. You along with Kemicalburns and Bronco 308 have given me some new leads to follow. I was able to accomplish one thing today. My teenage daughter called me on her way to school ,her '91 F150 was overheating. Another trip to O'Reilly's (we should get frequent flyer miles ) 2 heater hoses and some coolant and she is back on the road. The next thing I have to tackle on her truck is replacing the speedo cable, valve cover gaskets and replace the pwrstring pump(leaks as bad or worsethan the valve covers) Happy Halloween!!!!
I know....I could not resist though.

Did you replace the thermostat when you replaced the hoses and anti-freeze? I usually do, since they stick a lot and are cheap to replace.

Back to the topic of the bronco....you might want to get a can of "sea foam" and run through it. Follow the directions on the can. People on several ford forums swear by the stuff.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:04 PM
mudder460
Posting Guru
My buddies daughters truck is doing the same thing. The truck idles at about 40mph, we were told it is the EGR valve. We are going to replace it tonight, I will let you know if it works.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
P1131. The PCM is correcting rich for an overly lean condition. The most common cause is a vacuum leak. An EGR valve can cause that problem, but only if it is stuck open, which rarely happens. It could also be caused by a bad injector, restricted inlet, PCV system, fuel purge (EVAP) system, or running out of fuel.

Lots of things to check, but start by looking for a vacuum leak or an air leak after the MAP sensor.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:26 PM
mudder460
Posting Guru
Well we replaced the EGR valve and it still idles fast. I am stumped! Scott, maybe I might have to get some help from ou since you seem to know what you are talking about. This motor is too new for me!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
How does the butterfly look in the intake? If it's all gunked up it could be cracked open a bit too much at idle.

Holler at me some afternoon next week. I can swing by and hook the scan tool up to it if you think it'll help.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cookie88
How does the butterfly look in the intake? If it's all gunked up it could be cracked open a bit too much at idle.

Holler at me some afternoon next week. I can swing by and hook the scan tool up to it if you think it'll help.
Now why does that first part look familair?

Oh yeah...here is why:

Originally Posted by Brian_B
....I know nothing about the codes, but is the throttle body stuck open a little bit? I had an older ranger that did that once and the throttle body was nasty and sticking open farther than it should......
Sorry Cookie...I had to!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Not a problem. Like I always say....great minds think like me.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 AM
MaryfPoppins
Junior User
Cool

Well folks we dove back in to my '96 5.8L this weekend. Removed and cleaned the throttle body and IAC ( pretty dirty). Changed a vacuum line, no cracks seen, but degraded. Put back together with new gaskets, ran ...... worse than ever! We unplugged the IAC and it runs ok, still surges at low speed and a pronounced bucking at 45mph. I guess I am going to throw parts at it. The new IAC and TPS (bro-in-law recommended as well as Khemicalburns) should be in today. I am curious to see if these also solve the slow shifting problem. I am not thrilled with scanning for codes as the only code this one has is P1131, which is a pretty generic code. I will let you know what happens in the continuing saga of " Ruth".

Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 AM
TopSgtLawrence
Freshman User
Well, At least yours is running, I still have alot of work on mine. I still need a motor and some pain to finish the inside, just low on money right I hope to get the motor as soon as tax returns come in.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:33 PM
MaryfPoppins
Junior User
Just plant another "money tree" like I did. I went from MOM to ATM when my kids hit the terrible "Teens". As far as gutting the interior of yours, you might want to bomb for fleas! Kinda a funky dog-house!

Yes, you are right I should be grateful mine is running. Sometimes we forget that others are worse off than we are. I hope you get a HUGE tax return so you can get the motor you want. What are you dreaming of?

Quick Reply: Who'da thunk there would be a special AR chapter