Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission hard shift

Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Chad Winship
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission hard shift

Hello all, I have a 93 Bronco XLT, 160K miles 5.8 L. Tranny was replaced at the dealer at 50,000 (previous owner)

Last week, the Check Engine Light come on and it starts shifting REALLY hard. Slamming. Especially bad Park to Drive, but even 1st-2nd is a jolt. No prior warning, no missed shifts, no slips, absolutely no indication that the trans was failing, just wham, one day.

I do have an oil leak, maybe valve covers or rear main, that blows oil back onto my undercarriage and trans on the highway. Is there any chance this is some sort of fouled sensor causing bad shift signals? Anything I could look at before I drop $800 on a trans or, more likely, sell my Bronco ?

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks,

Chad

Old 09-26-2007, 09:17 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Have you pulled the codes yet?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Chad Winship
Junior User
No, I haven't. I don't have a code scanner. But if there are other things, hopefully less sinister than a full trans, that might cause this, I'll find a mechanic and pay him for the codes.

Sorry, pretty obvious first step I guess... Thanks.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 AM
mrknight01
Senior User
Fords shift hard when certain trans codes are present. Ford does this so you will take it in and get it fixed before the hole thing goes bad. most part stores can scan them, try AutoZone it you have one. It probably is just a sensor.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 AM
mrknight01
Senior User

Last edited by mrknight01; 09-27-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:34 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Pulling codes

If you have patience you can pull codes with a papaerclip. http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

I bought a thirty something dollar DIGITAL code reader that performs lots of tests.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:40 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why pay someone to read the codes? What would they charge to do this? An Equus 3145 costs $35 and you can keep it forever. Leave it in the truck so when the Fault light comes on and you're away from home you can find out the cause in an instance. Search for 'codereader' on google - you'll find it.

But going back to the problem, yes pull the codes and take it from there... 'let the codes be your guiding light' LOL.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Chad Winship
Junior User
Originally Posted by muckypaws
Why pay someone to read the codes? What would they charge to do this? An Equus 3145 costs $35 and you can keep it forever. Leave it in the truck so when the Fault light comes on and you're away from home you can find out the cause in an instance. Search for 'codereader' on google - you'll find it.

But going back to the problem, yes pull the codes and take it from there... 'let the codes be your guiding light' LOL.
Actually, I was just about to post to ask about that exact unit. I googled "Ford code reader" and it was the first hit. So that unit does work well? I'll have to call around and see if anyone has one locally and if not I'll get one ordered.

My wife is gonna be angry with me....

Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
And you can check the fluid level for free!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Chad Winship
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bdox
And you can check the fluid level for free!
THAT, I already did, and it was good and clean. Although if this turns out to not be a full rebuild situation then a full fluid change and filter will be in my future for sure

Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
trust me your wife will be much happier with a scanner purchase then a tranny rebuild which by the way for this e4od runs in the area of $1800-2500 depending on the shop and damage.

definatly pull codes like everyone has said. also go to the rear diff and remove the sensor thats sitting on top of the pumpkin, clean it real good and reinstall it. this sensor talks to the tranny and helps it know when to shift. your abs light isnt on by chance is it? is your speedometer working properly still?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Chad Winship
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
trust me your wife will be much happier with a scanner purchase then a tranny rebuild which by the way for this e4od runs in the area of $1800-2500 depending on the shop and damage.

definatly pull codes like everyone has said. also go to the rear diff and remove the sensor thats sitting on top of the pumpkin, clean it real good and reinstall it. this sensor talks to the tranny and helps it know when to shift. your abs light isnt on by chance is it? is your speedometer working properly still?

You mean I will be much happier if a scanner points to a cheaper solution i.e. sensor. My wife won't be because she's already decided I should sell it for parts.

ABS light is not on and speedo is working. At least as far as I recall... wasn't looking at that specifically but I probably would have noticed.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:30 AM
mrknight01
Senior User
$35.00 is a good price for a scanner but I said AutoZone because they scan for FREE. They want to sell the parts to fix it. *** for other part stores I don’t know if they will for free but I bet most will.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chad Winship
Actually, I was just about to post to ask about that exact unit. I googled "Ford code reader" and it was the first hit. So that unit does work well? I'll have to call around and see if anyone has one locally and if not I'll get one ordered.

My wife is gonna be angry with me....
Yes this reader works very well indeed. I suggest you buy the extension cable for it so you can use it in the cab as some tests require you to press buttons or peddles on the vehicle. Also means you could sit in the dry if the vehicle breaks down in the rain!

Its the best $35 I've spent so far on my truck.

Simon

Old 12-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Graysack
New User
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns

Funny you should mention the comments at the end but that is exactly what my truck is doing now. I did replace the sensor on the differental and still have the same problem, ABS light is on, speedo and OD not working and hard shifting.

Besides that sensor (searched for the transmission mounted sensor the parts store thought I needed for an hour and could not locate) what else should I be looking at for these same symptoms?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission hard shift