2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

A/C Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:27 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C Issues?

Well, my 2007 Expedition Limited 4x2 was at the dealership for 13 days having its a/c worked on. As I have posted in another thread, the problem has been lackluster cooling on the really hot Florida days. They replaced the compressor, both expansion valves and the acculmulator, then recharged everything.

That repair seemed to work at first, but I took the truck to Gainesville for the weekend, and the a/c still seemed to struggle when the exterior temp was above about 94 or so. Here are my symptoms:

It seems to take a really long time to cool down. When it does cool down (and it does get cool) it seems to fluctuate temperatures - almost like the compressor is cycling on and off. I run the controls in manual with the temp at 60 or 65 and in recirc mode. I have no idea what the issue is, or if the system is just undersized for thr truck. I have also experienced the occaisional fan shut down, but it comes back on after about two seconds. Am I crazy?? What are everyones thoughts?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:45 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in Houston and mine works great. It does take a few minutes to cool down. I do find that it works best and fastest if you leave the temp around 68 and on recirc, with the rear AC on full. I do not have my windows tinted yet, just the factory rear. When I get time to those it will help alot. If it is really hot I crack my front window and open the rear sail windows and drive about 2 minutes and it sucks all of the hot air right out. Just a couple of things to try that work for me in the good old southern heat.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 AM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdsmooth
Well, my 2007 Expedition Limited 4x2 was at the dealership for 13 days having its a/c worked on. As I have posted in another thread, the problem has been lackluster cooling on the really hot Florida days. They replaced the compressor, both expansion valves and the acculmulator, then recharged everything.

That repair seemed to work at first, but I took the truck to Gainesville for the weekend, and the a/c still seemed to struggle when the exterior temp was above about 94 or so. Here are my symptoms:

It seems to take a really long time to cool down. When it does cool down (and it does get cool) it seems to fluctuate temperatures - almost like the compressor is cycling on and off. I run the controls in manual with the temp at 60 or 65 and in recirc mode. I have no idea what the issue is, or if the system is just undersized for thr truck. I have also experienced the occaisional fan shut down, but it comes back on after about two seconds. Am I crazy?? What are everyones thoughts?
.........We live by Gainsville and our's will drive you out it's sooooo cold,fan should "NOT" shut off while on manual setting's,we set our's on manual at 74 degree's recirc on the second bar's from the slowest fan speed and after several mile's we drop it down to the lowest (1 bar) speed,the system is big enough to handle the load,something's not right with your's and the dealer has not found the issue yet,try a diffrent dealer,try giving them your truck and get a loaner while THEY drive your's and when they say it's fixed go for aride with the service manager before taking the truck back to see if all is well.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:36 AM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
What we found:

My turned the temp all the way to 60 degrees everytime she got in the truck. What this did was to put the AC compressor into recirulate and actually freeze up the system. There is no way the truck will cool to 60 degrees, so it works very hard and kind of freezes up.

After 3 trips to the dealer, they finally told her to leave the temp at 68 or 69 degrees so the system will not go into recirculate and freeze the system. This has changed the trucks cooling system ways! The system works like a champ and we are now very happy with it. It seems the auto controls are touchy untill you know all their little tricks??

Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ac should be able to run at max all the time without locking up. The control module seems to be the problem.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:53 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
Well, I made an appointment to bring the truck back to the dealer on Friday. I am thinking a control issue or a pressure switch. Does anyone else have any ideas so I can run them by the dealer?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:05 AM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
Well Berry, you seem to have called it. The service manager came out to meet me and review my issues. As soon as I mentioned the fan speed issues he pulled out a service note from Ford advising them to check the grounds on the "heater blower control module" and if they looked good to replace the module. He told me that this module controls a lot of what goes on with the a/c system and that they have been problematic. They had the part on hand and changed it out in about 10 minutes. He then asked me to drive the truck for the weekend and let him know if it helped the situation.

The part is a little black box with metal fins and looks like it installs into the ductwork itself. Perhaps it senses temperature?

For those of you experiencing erratic fan issues, know that there is a service instruction out there that makes no mention of cell phone chargers.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:49 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jdsmooth
Well Berry, you seem to have called it. The service manager came out to meet me and review my issues. As soon as I mentioned the fan speed issues he pulled out a service note from Ford advising them to check the grounds on the "heater blower control module" and if they looked good to replace the module. He told me that this module controls a lot of what goes on with the a/c system and that they have been problematic. They had the part on hand and changed it out in about 10 minutes. He then asked me to drive the truck for the weekend and let him know if it helped the situation.

The part is a little black box with metal fins and looks like it installs into the ductwork itself. Perhaps it senses temperature?

For those of you experiencing erratic fan issues, know that there is a service instruction out there that makes no mention of cell phone chargers.

I'll let everyone know what happens.
Glad they replaced it. Let us know.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:48 PM
bstrom
5th Wheeling
I know there have been previous threads about the A/C issue, I didn't follow them much because I wasn't having any issue. Well.. yesterday afternoon, while freeway driving, my fan would (all by itself) go to full high, then a second or two later, go back to low. Couple minutes later it would do more similar erratic fan stuff. Really weired!!

Thanks for the lead about a fix, I now have one more item for the service dept to repair.