2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

How many have problems with Climate Controls?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 AM
BigBadBob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many have problems with Climate Controls?

Seriously, we have taken our 07 expedition to our reputable dealership at least 6 times and they can't find the problem! Here's what going on; Climate control button are pretty straight forward. I've read the owners manual where it says that if you use the "auto" button, the system will automatically determine fan speed, airflow location, a/c on or off, therefore, when the vehicle reaches a certain temperature, it will SHUT OFF. Kind of like a thermostat in your own home. This is what Ford techs have told me and this is what I interpret from the manual. My problem is that when setting the a/c to "manual", instead of the "auto" feature, the a/c shuts off completely without warning. This is after driving it for a couple of hours. This normally happens during the day, although a few times it has happened during the night. Ford thinks I have it set to "auto" and is the reason it keeps shutting off. What so frustrating is they haven't found anything because when it goes to Ford, they NEVER find anything when they take it for a test drive. Is anyone else experiencing this, please help!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
i had a similar experience one time. I had been driving approx. 3 hrs. and pulled up to a red light, air conditioner completely shut off, but the controls still showed it being on. Tried turning a/c automatic climate on then off, nothing. The blower wasnt even blowing, but the rear a/c worked fine. Arrived at house, turned truck off, let sit for a few minutes, turned truck back on and it has worked flawlessly since.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:20 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the same problem. I believe ford is aware of this and tried to blame it on cell phones if you can believe that. I think the unit overheats or something. The only thing I have found to help is turn the ignition off then on, then it seems to work.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Newton007
Senior User
I have not noticed this condition, but I only have 600 miles on my 07, and don't drive all that far. May be on a long trip I would notice this. Anyway this is not correct operation.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:56 AM
BigBadBob
Junior User
Yes, Ford also told me that if I plug the cell charger in one of the outlets, it supposedly causes the a/c to shut off. I have NOT used the cell phone charger since the issued was first brought up to the dealership. This problem with the a/c shutting off continues and I feel Ford in now making excuses. It is also getting to be very annoying, especially when it shuts down in 100 degree weather! Anyone else with this problem?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Try to keep track of when it shuts off. I had mine on for close to two hours when it shut off. Maybe some sort of circuit breaker? I don't know. It is a problem on long trips.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 AM
BigBadBob
Junior User
I agree, it only does it on long trips or when driving for over two hours. The thing is, it does'nt always do it. I am hoping that the damn unit gives out all together to they can replace it or something. But with the luck I've been having, the a/c unit starts up again after shutting off the car for 10 minutes or more. The only thing Ford found is they said the fan shroud was not aligned correctly and was causing the car to overheat a little bit. They said this might have been part of the reason the a/c unit shuts off because of a special sensor that warns the computer when the car overheats, therefore, shutting down the a/c unit momentarily. Anyway, they fixed this issue on my 5th visit to the dealership, but the problem continues.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBadBob
I agree, it only does it on long trips or when driving for over two hours. The thing is, it does'nt always do it. I am hoping that the damn unit gives out all together to they can replace it or something. But with the luck I've been having, the a/c unit starts up again after shutting off the car for 10 minutes or more. The only thing Ford found is they said the fan shroud was not aligned correctly and was causing the car to overheat a little bit. They said this might have been part of the reason the a/c unit shuts off because of a special sensor that warns the computer when the car overheats, therefore, shutting down the a/c unit momentarily. Anyway, they fixed this issue on my 5th visit to the dealership, but the problem continues.
Over heat's??,is that what your tempture gauge is telling you.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:47 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Yeah, that aint it. It has to be a glitch in the climate control unit or the ecm itself. If enough of us complain, they hopefully will figure something out.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM
BigBadBob
Junior User
To be honest with you, I never really paid attention to the temperature gauge, I mean, you figure the truck is brand new. Why even look? However, I am closely paying attention to all gauges. The temperature gauge reads normal so far, it is slightly below the mid-point. I don't know what else to do, but turn on the a/c unit every time we drive the truck and hope it gives out completely.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:41 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
To be honest with you, I never really paid attention to the temperature gauge, I mean, you figure the truck is brand new. Why even look? However, I am closely paying attention to all gauges. The temperature gauge reads normal so far, it is slightly below the mid-point. I don't know what else to do, but turn on the a/c unit every time we drive the truck and hope it gives out completely.
What your see on your gauge is what mine show's and it's not an overheating of the motor issue,i feel for all of you that have issue's from a-z,mine has been flawless in every respect with the exception of a little wind noise at the driver's side window,have no idea how much is to much to be unacceptiall but it dosent bug me,the odd thing is most if not all of you bought new and we bought a ford certified rental return that was in service for 7 month's and a little over 14,000 mile's,that's not supposed to be a good thing to do but it worked and save about $11,000.00 and came with a 100,000 mile /november 2012 extended warrantee ,go figure.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
HOTSPOT
New User
I have 2k miles on my 07 Limited, no issues to date.

2007 Limited

Last edited by HOTSPOT; 08-28-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:45 AM
ExpyBob
Senior User
I have 14,000 miles on my 07 Limited EL and all is well.

Even in auto mode the air never totally turns off.

The fan reduces speed but never turns off.

I checked for a TSB but they have not issued one yet.

Bob

Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 AM
fireman28
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 13,500 on mine and my climate ac has turned off 3 or 4 times but it kicks right back on.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 PM
namrehs300
Senior User
I have 7500 miles on my two-month old limited and it's done it twice. Just shuts off completely for about one to two seconds, then right back on. Both times were at stop signs.

I have had a similar problem with my 05 F250, as have many other people. But in the pickup's case it's more like something in the electrical system that shuts down the whole dash. In those cases turning off the truck for a minute or two and then restarting fixes it.

It's obviously a Ford problem. I'm not aware of any TSB's on it (yet).

Quick Reply: How many have problems with Climate Controls?