Greasecar system for the Ford Powerstroke - BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 PM
tobber
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Greasecar system for the Ford Powerstroke - BEWARE!

Nothing but trouble since I bought and installed the Greasecar.com system two weeks ago. Lacks quality parts and mediocre instruction manual, will leave you on the side of the road - beware! Have been broke down twice. Spent umpteen extra dollars on parts, towing, new starter.

Cost savings are definitely not worth the trouble.

Things they don't tell you in the website.
1. buy a pressure washer - your gonna need it to get the grease off the vehicle when it leaks all over and the exhaust covers the back. Will need mineral spirits and alot of rubbing for the bad spots.
2. replace alot of lines and hoses with upgrades. the lousy ones I got in the kit burst twice already.
3. be prepared to have the inside of your vehicle smell like a fry pit. Especially wen things start breaking down!

Beware new buyers! the vegoil idea is sound, but this system has been a nightmare for me! Don't make my mistake!

-------------------------
Very Sincerely,

Tim O'Brien

Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tim,

Are going to pull the system off your truck or fix it?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:02 PM
tobber
New User
Trying to locate a some fuel lines that I had to cut when installing their system. I want to dump it as soon as I have the parts to put it back to original.

No more grease for me.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE Tim.

I feel for ya'. Sorry it went so badly.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:05 AM
FN74
Elder User
Tim- Man that sucks. I hate to hear stories like that, competitor or not. When stuff like that happens, it gives all of us in the business a black eye. . I hope you don't get too discouraged. This can be done succesfully, and without all the headaches you described, I know greasecar is one of the more affordable systems out there, and there are reasons for that.

Same goes for anyone else considering this. There are a lot of people out there making kits now, and it is hard to know what is good and not good. And of course you can't exactly pickup a consumers digest and read reviews of WVO systems. A few tips on researching WVO systems:

1. First and Foremost - If you can not afford to buy diesel for your truck, then you can not afford a diesel truck. end of story. If you can't afford to put diesel in your vehicle as is, it is unlikely you will be able to afford to convert it properly, and only lead to more problems that take more money. The more mechanically incline and patient you are, then more you can cut corners.

2. Don't believe the hype. Especially on a products website. Look for objective information, stuff backed up with data and numbers. "Our system is the best because Joe said it was" is not a very informative statement.

3. Talk to the prospective company. Even if you don't know the technical specifics to ask, see how willing they are to divulge and share info. Do they promote their product, or talk down others? Ask them "how does it work?" "How many problems have you had and what have you done about it?". "How many returns have you had?" Does the company take the time to talk to you, or blow you off? If you have a hard time getting straight answers before you hand over the money, what kind of service do you think you will get once they have your money?

4. Google, Google, and Google. Glance at the good, but really look hard for the bad. Of course when things are working right, people are going to be happy and give good feedback. But look for trends. I hate to sound like a reporter, but dig for the bad stuff. see how what problems you can find with a product or compnay, and even more than that, how it was resolved. Anything mechanical can and will fail, but find out how it was handled when something did go wrong. Also, what happens when something goes wrong? Does your system simply not work and you worry about it when you get home, or are you stuck with a towing bill?

5. Understand that this is still considered "experimental" and no matter whose kit you buy, you are assuming an inherant risk.

In the long run, WVO is cheaper and less work than Bio, but also comes with far more risks and chances to get it wrong. However, if you have done your homework, have a good source, a good home filtering setup, and a good conversion, There is no better feeling than Turning up your flip chip to the 120 setting, and blowing a big cloud of enviromentally friendly FREE smoke at a gas station as you go blasting past it

Old 08-17-2007, 08:09 PM
petebal
New User
Happier than ever

tobber,

as always, you mostly get what you pay for...
I've had the vegistroke system since march of this year and it's been crazy ever since.

I dewater, filter, and fill...that's it.

the kit was a beotch to install, i'll give you that. i'm fair at mechanical work and with the 7.3 install... took me about 30 hrs. I ran the wire kit 3 times to make sure i liked it and felt it was right.
anyone with better skills would probably put it in a 7.3 in half the time.

since march the family's been going everywhere all the time. it's nothing to throw the 3 kids (crap! ) in the truck and go for a ride...hours at a time.
just told them tonight to 'pick a place to go tomorrow, 'cause we're loading up the truck'.

kids love it, i love it, and wife loves it 'cause of the ROI. got 6K on grease and the kit has paid for itself...

not bragging, just fact.

on grease the truck is quiet. no smoke and blackstone has been giving me great results back.

once again, another thumbs up to jason @ vegistroke.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:22 PM
tobber
New User
Thanks Petebal, glad your happy with your system. Hope you get 500,00 miles out of it!

I'm surviving, but it's been a real eye-opener. Not what I thought it was, but it's coming along.

Thanks again!

Tobber

Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 PM
tobber
New User
FN74 thanks also for your positive information.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:10 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is also the issue of ability.

Mechanical ability of the one installing it.

I don't know how many times I listened to someone bad mouth a product and they were the one that screwed it up.

The mechanical ability of the one writing the instructions.

We all know this one, right?

The ability of the one writing the instructions to communicate properly as there might be an assumption that the one installing the kit will make the same mechanical assumptions, and often they do not.

One expert explaining a process to another expert would leave out vital info a newbe would seriously need.

And the one sourcing the parts that will go into the kit might be nothing more than a purchasing agent or just a simple bean counter with no idea that a cheaper, or even a part that seems the same might not be the correct part!

I had this one bite me in the @ss on a regular basis all my life!

I am now paranoid when purchasing anything in a "KIT"

Last edited by archangel; 09-02-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 AM
tobber
New User
archangel,

Quick question for you. When I accellerate from a dead stop, my truck has a slight "clunk" or lag in the drivetrain. Is there a common part in the drivetrain that wears and can be replaced to eliminate this?

What is the best way to diagnose what part of the drivetrain it's coming from?

'02 F250 7.3 powerstroke 4X4

Thanks,

tobber

Old 09-03-2007, 03:42 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tobber
archangel,

Quick question for you. When I accellerate from a dead stop, my truck has a slight "clunk" or lag in the drivetrain. Is there a common part in the drivetrain that wears and can be replaced to eliminate this?

What is the best way to diagnose what part of the drivetrain it's coming from?

'02 F250 7.3 powerstroke 4X4

Thanks,
tobber
Resisting the temptation to just give a one word answer "yes"!

My first guess would be a bad "U" joint.

I'd then check the rear end gear back lash and verify the back lash is not inside the rear end.

I'd also check the rearend for potential mounting issues.

If nothing is bad with the rear end or the "U" joints, check the motor and trans mounts.

If you don't find any of those causing the problem, then I would guess either a transfercase or automatic transmission internal issue that could be causing it.

However, because I am not there to see and hear it, it could just be something heavy sliding around you bed, or a loose spare tire banging back and forth and you are just assuming there is a lag in the drive line.

Seen those more than once!

He!!, my wife blames the trans and clutch for when she fails to give it enough gas or lets the clutch out too fast and the engine dies!

Or when she lets the clutch all the way out before, or does not even step on it, and then and only then, DOES SHE ATTEMPT TO PUT IT INTO GEAR, AT A DEAD STOP NO LESS!

Nothing I say will convince her otherwise!

I even saw a guy badmouthing fords as "YA CAN'T TUNE EM UP CUZ THEY WILL STOP RUNNIN ON YA" who was counting the cylinders and installing the plug wires to the cylinders as if it were a CHEVY!

Last edited by archangel; 09-03-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
tobber
New User
Thanks-a-million for the info. I will look into it.