Sponsored by:

My son put gas in my diesel truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
tvmilano
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son put gas in my diesel truck

I need some advice. I just brought a new Ford 6.4. We went on vacation and my son drove the truck and filled it with gas. It ran fine just a little hard to start when hot. Took it to Ford they want thousands to replace all kinds of parts. The injectors, fuel pump and take apart the turbos , drain the tanks and replace all the fuel lines. I talked to a friend with diesel. He said drain the tank and lines and change the fuel filter and start it. It was filled with about 15 gallons of gas and there is 3/8 of a tank left over. Any advice?

Old 08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
bradshaw6243
Old, but not too old
Same thing happened to me. Follow your friends advice. Drain the tank, Fill it with diesel, and forget what the dealer said.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:44 PM
vmac4
Freshman User
I wave worked at a ford dealership and have done quite a few of these problems.
Local station had there diesel tanks filled with unleaded.Needless to say they where
coming in like flies.We drained the tanks and lines,replaced the filters,filling them with
fords fuel lubricity addative,and installed the addative in the tank as well.It will run
rough for a bit,then smooth out.I do not see any need to replace the pump or injectors.What does concern me would be the DPF filter.I'm not sure what damage,if
any could result from the gasoline.I don't think it would be damaged by the gas itself,
but maybe the addatives.The fuel pump is a very durable unit,a little gas won't hurt
it a bit.They are probably concerned about injector scuffing from the gas not lubricating the injectors,but if you don't continue to drive it,and get the lubricity addative in there,it should be alright.I would use at least 3 bottles of lubricity addative,and fill the filter with just the addative.That way the engine will get a good
shot of the addative to the injectors.I would not worry about anything else until this
is done,then see how it runs.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Leader
Elder User
Drain the tanks, fill with diesel, & run it. If it is running bad after you run two tanks FULL thought it, come back & we'll help you .

Old 08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree. Drain tanks and lines. Use a lot of fuel additive or biodiesel B20. Might run rough for a bit then settle out. Just don't drive it until it runs smooth. Just let it idle.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:36 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Just a tip on draining the tank from experience. If you have an air compressor handy stick a hose down into the tank the insert an air blow gun with a rag wrapped around it into the fill nozzle. You can get enough pressure to pump out the fuel at a decent rate into buckets, containers, etc. and be able to stop when you need to change buckets. There's less spillage and an overall cleaner job this way. You won't get 100% out with this method, but at least you can get it low enough to drop the tank easily. With the new dpf filters I'd recommend dropping the tank and getting all the gas out. With the 7.3 & 6.0's at work we just pumped out all we could and topped if off with diesel, changed filters and no problems.

Just remember you're not the first one to experience this.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That kind of reminds me of an ol '85 Kenworth my Uncle had that got gas put in it because of a faulty pump, so he just pored 3 gallons of oil in each tank to lube up the gas, and the truck ran better than it had in a while (It had over 1.5 million miles on it), he drove it a week, then everything went south with it (It started to knock extremely loud)

Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoops double posted

Old 08-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
1) Drain tanks.

2) Drop tank is necessary.

3) Change fuel filters.

3) Refill with double additive and fresh diesel fuel.

4) Drive truck at easy clip (1/2 tank)

5) Keep topping fuel tank off with diesel and additive to keep the percentage of diesel at max concentration.

6) Change fuel filters after 1 - 2 full tanks.

Gas does not lubricate like diesel and will blow the tip off an injector real quick!! You may get lucky... so get it out of the system as soon and quickly as possible.

Oh, and don't forget to tell your son that he is grounded from ever driving your new truck again!!!!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Leader
Elder User
I wouldn't bother dropping the tank & wouldn't bother with excessive additives. If you have damaged the motor, it is already done. If not you don't need to do anything but change filter & fill it with clean fuel.
After draining all the gas out you can, you could crank the motor over with the drain for the fuel filter open till you see fuel in the lines.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Leader
I wouldn't bother dropping the tank & wouldn't bother with excessive additives. If you have damaged the motor, it is already done. If not you don't need to do anything but change filter & fill it with clean fuel.
After draining all the gas out you can, you could crank the motor over with the drain for the fuel filter open till you see fuel in the lines.
How you gonna drain the tank without pulling it???? And you definatly wanta run some additives...

Last edited by a-rod; 08-09-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Leader
Elder User
Originally Posted by a-rod
How you gonna drain the tank without pulling it???? And you definatly wanta run some additives...
I'd just siphon out what I could & add clean fuel & go. Additives aren't needed normally & wouldn't help if the motor was already damaged anyway.
I do agree additives probably wouldn't hurt anything. Guess I'm just too cheap to add them.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Gasoline is hard and non-lubricating to a diesel fuel pump and injectors. The additives help with lubrication and may reduce any ill-effects... this is why I wold use at double dosage rates.

Gasoline burned in a diesel... and a highly tuned one at that... will ruin the injectors pretty quick... so empty tank, replace filters, add additive and refill with new diesel.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 PM
FFemt5287
Elder User
up for adoption

Old 08-10-2007, 06:33 PM
tvmilano
New User
Had the truck towed home. Drained out all gas and fuel. Going to put new fuel, additives, filters and change the oil this weekend. Let you know what happens. Thaks for all the help.

Quick Reply: My son put gas in my diesel truck