2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

K & N filters are out..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Newton007
Senior User
Yes just ordered one today from: Parts America (Checker Auto) K and N part: # 33-2385 (07 Expedition and 07 Navigator only) with tax $60.92 (which seems a little high priced as most are around $30-40). Ship date to store: 8/14/07.

With a fill up costing $$$$ I figure that to have an air filter that never needs replacement, plus lower restriction for more power and hopefully a little more MPG, it is worth having.

Now the trick is (I have had trouble with this before on other cars) to keep the dealer service staff from changing it out on normal dealer service, even when you tell them about it first before they service the SUV.
Seems some service departments are pre programmed (Zombie mode) to just change the air filter anyway with out reading the K and N supplied sticker that you attach to the air box saying, It is a lifetime air filter and not to trash it.

You may have to go dumpster diving like I did once to get it back.
Check before you leave.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
i hate to tell you this, but http://motorhaven.autoanything.com has the new K&N filter for the 07 expedition and navigator way cheaper at $37.50, no tax and with free shipping, and usually it arrives within 3 days or so.
Originally Posted by Newton007
Yes just ordered one today from: Parts America (Checker Auto) K and N part: # 33-2385 (07 Expedition and 07 Navigator only) with tax $60.92 (which seems a little high priced as most are around $30-40). Ship date to store: 8/14/07.

With a fill up costing $$$$ I figure that to have an air filter that never needs replacement, plus lower restriction for more power and hopefully a little more MPG, it is worth having.

Now the trick is (I have had trouble with this before on other cars) to keep the dealer service staff from changing it out on normal dealer service, even when you tell them about it first before they service the SUV.
Seems some service departments are pre programmed (Zombie mode) to just change the air filter anyway with out reading the K and N supplied sticker that you attach to the air box saying, It is a lifetime air filter and not to trash it.

You may have to go dumpster diving like I did once to get it back.
Check before you leave.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 08-09-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:53 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had 2 K&N filters 'tossed' by service techs even with a sticker. Now, I take some wire and lock the airbox. You can also use a few heavy duty zip ties along with a sticker on the middle of the air box.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
solution to service guys removing it and changing it out is, do what I do and do your regular maintenace yourself. I change my own oil and do the basic maintenance in my driveway. This way you get full synthetic oil changes for just the cost of oil and a filter.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Yes I should have shopped around online first and usually do.
Sometimes the shipping costs makes up for any savings. But with free shipping, it is a much better deal. Oh well.
I usually do my own oil changes and service, but while under warranty, I have the dealer do it.

I have pulled automatic transmissions, engines while out in the street during snow storms, using just floor jacks, and A frames, chain hoists, but that was many many years ago.
Getting lazy in my old age I guess, as crawling around under a car is not as much fun as it used to be.
As far as the K and N filter, may be I should just glue the air box shut. Just kidden.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 PM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
Is it true that the K&N filter does not block all of the fine dust? Since it is less restricting more dirt gets through to damage the engine after many years of service?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Newton007
Senior User
I have used K and N air filters on all my cars and trucks for many years and as far as I can tell they have always worked just fine. No matter how dirty they were on the intake side, they always looked like new on the other side. Never seen any dirt go through the filter. After washing out the filter always use the special red oil per instructions.
They will still flow well even when dirty, but I always cleaned them any way to insure the best air flow.
They really do not block the dust out, but the cotton layers and sticky red oil catches and holds the dust in place so the air can flow freely through the filter.
I would almost say it is really more of a dirt catcher than a filter. Plus you can transfer them to your next car (save the old paper filter) if the size is the same.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
i have used them in my last 4 vehicles, a 91 ford explorer, sold at 150K miles still running like new, 99 Toyota Camry V6, sold at 120K miles still ran like new and i treated that car like a truck, 2005 Ford Explorer sold back to ford at 30K because it was a piece of **** to start with, and am now putting one in my 2007 expedition. As long as you keep it oiled and not over oiled you will be fine.

Originally Posted by kenttrudiw
Is it true that the K&N filter does not block all of the fine dust? Since it is less restricting more dirt gets through to damage the engine after many years of service?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:45 PM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
So Ford approves of these, and they won't void the warrenty, it sounds like a good deal.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:07 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
If you get a tune up here, and the filter is dirty it gets replaced with a new one! I don't clean them! Not saying you don't, but, most I see have'nt been cleaned like they should. I do put their filter in the box and put it in the vehicle. I personally don't like them, I do feel they allow more dirt past, and no offence, but people here run on a lot of gravel roads and forget to clean them anyway! And no, Ford dos'nt approve of them!

Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
ford may no approve of them, but they will not void your warranty unless ford can prove it caused a problem.

Ford is ripping people off on the 07 filters. I went to three auto parts stores to find a replacement and none of the stores had the correct 07 filter in there system. So i then go to the dealership to purchase one and he tells me he is sold out of them and they are a hot item, he ends up getting one from the service department. They charched 27 dollars for the cheapo paper filter. Pretty expensive just for a paper filter. Wally world was out of them and they charge 10.99 or something like that. Why should ford screw there customers?

Last edited by carbonmetallic; 08-09-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Newton007
Senior User
I would not expect the Ford service staff to clean them, just not replace the filter and then toss the K and N filter out.
K and N will, according to their web site "deal" with the dealer service department for you if there is a warranty question about using K and N air filters.
May be the best way to solve the problem is to put the paper Ford filter back in before you go to the dealer for service, then replace it after you leave.
But you may be charged for a air filter that you don't use.

Maybe Carbon M had the best idea, just service it yourself.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
K&N filter and a dusted turbo = customer pay! As for wally world cheap a%# junk! you always, and I mean always get what you paid for at wally world!! At least go to a reputable parts store and get parts for your vehicle! I know we at the dealer a lot of the times are more expensive, (just so you know, not always, always check) but at least buy a good product.

Quick Reply: K & N filters are out..