1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between an XLT and a Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Differences between an XLT and a Lariat

Hi all, I am looking at buying/trading my 2001 tacoma for a superduty. Currently at my dealer there is a 2003 XLT and a 2005 XLT. Both are diesel, Fx4, and supercab.

The 05 has upfitters, and brake controller, and a nice set of Alcoa wheels. 37K miles and its about 30 grand.

The 03 is has 54k miles. I havent gotten a price on it yet.

I have also looked at various Lariat trim levels. What is the differences between a Lariat and an XLT? If I am going to buy one, I just wanted to make sure it had all the "goodies".

Is the lariat woth the extra money? Also, whats a good price for a lariat 03-05 lariat 4x4 supercab in the southeast TN area?

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:09 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
lariats have leather and are loaded out. Also have the nicer stock wheels. Do you know if the 03 is a 7.3L or a 6.0L Powerstroke? There is a huge difference in the motors.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
I am not sure, but the window sticker says 6.0, but it could be wrong.

Which is the better engine the 7.3 or the 6.0?

Also, can you list the differences between the lariat and the XLT?

Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's and 03' or 04' the 6.0 had alot of problems. Get the VIN and post it in the 6.0 fourm and someone can run an Oasis report on it to see what kind os warranty work it has had done. They say by 60,000 miles or so that if the 6.0 has not had any problems it probably wont. What a Lariat has over an XLT is: leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, wood grain on the door panels and I think on the dash, Overhead console with mpg computer, power seats, but I think that you can get them with an XLT, 03' is the first year that they made the power adjustable pedals and reverse sensor's standard on the Lariat I believe (even though you could order them extra on XLT and Lariat in 02'). OH yea don't forget the different fender badges the show everybody how much cooler you are that you have a Lariat

Last edited by yamaguy; 07-29-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:29 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I'd gp woth the 05 for the intergrated brake and upfitters

Old 07-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Yeah. I am thinking the 05 also. I dont know what kinda deal I can get worked out with them. I would really like to find a lariat, but I havent seen one in the supercab in my area in quite a while.
I love the supercabs, not as big as the crew cab, but still have lots of room, and they still look somewhat "sporty"
I am headed up to the dealer tomorrow to see what I can work out on my Tacoma. I polished the Taco up and have her ready to trade.

I could prolly get into the 03 and my payments stay about the same as what I am paying now, or I could get into the 05 for a little more. I am thinking 30-31k for the 05 and prolly 25k for the 03.

Im gonna miss the Taco (its a damn good truck), It just doesnt tow my boat worth a darn. I have been doing ALOT of towing lately, and it really wears the Taco out.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 AM
EaTmYtAiLpIpEs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question. I have an XLT. And it has leather, 6 disc cd, and bucket seats. is it because it is the sport package?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:50 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs
I have a question. I have an XLT. And it has leather, 6 disc cd, and bucket seats. is it because it is the sport package?
Most likely. Plus, you could add things to the XLT "al a carte" and dang near have a Lariat by the time you were done. But at some point, it would be better to just get a Lariat (price/option difference). The XLT is the basic start to the goodies, the Lariat gets into the luxury side.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

While not specific to some of the model years you have called out, here are a couple pieces of manufacturer's documentation that may help you sort out some of the differences.

Here are links to Ford's web site. Specifically to the Options page which shows which features are standard & which are optional for each trim level.

2006-07 model year: http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/2007superduty/features/
2008 model year: http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/2007superduty/features/

If you go through the 2006-07 order guide:

XL
Powertrain/Functional
• Brakes – 4-Wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
• Engine – 5.4L 3-Valve SOHC EFI Triton™ modular V8 gas engine
• Stationary elevated idle control (SEIC)
• Transmission – 6-Speed manual O/D transmission
• Trailer wiring – 7-wire harness w/relays & 7/4–pin connector
Exterior
• Bumpers – Argent painted, front & rear
• Decal, 4x4
• Handles – Black, door & tailgate
• Glass – solar
• Grille – Argent
• Headlamps – halogen sealed beam
• Jack – 2-Ton mechanical
• Mirrors – Black , manual fold-away
• Spare tire, wheel & lock
• Tailgate – Removable w/ key lock
• Tow hooks – front (2)
• Wheels – 17" steel, Argent painted w/painted center ornament
• Window – rear, fixed
• Windows – rear quarter, flip-out (SuperCab only)
Interior
• Audio – AM/FM stereo/digital clock & 2-speakers
• Door trim – armrest/grab handle & reflector
• Floor covering – Black, full length, vinyl
• Front seat – HD vinyl, full bench w/ recline
• Instrumentation – tachometer, speedometer, turbo boost (diesel only), voltmeter (manual only), oil pressure, coolant temperature, fuel gauge, transmission temperature gauge (automatic only), indicator lights & message center w/odometer, trip odometer, engine hour meter & warning messages
• Mirror – rearview 11.5" day/night
• Power point – auxiliary
• Scuff plates – color coordinated
• Steering wheel – Black vinyl
• Sunvisors – color coordinated, single driver w/map strap, single passenger w/mirror insert
• Windshield wipers – interval
Safety/Security
• Air bag – driver & passenger
• Air bag deactivation switch – passenger side (not included w/ Crew Cab)
• BeltMinder®
• Safety belts – color coordinated w/height adjustment D-ring

XLT
All XL content, plus:
Exterior
• Bumper – chrome, front & rear
• Grille – bright insert w/ chrome surround
• Headlamps – dual beam jewel effect
• Mirrors – Black, fold-away, power
• Underhood service light
• Wheels – 17" chrome steel w/bright center ornament
Interior
• Air conditioning – manual
• Audio – Premium electronic AM/FM stereo w/digital clock, single CD player & 4-speakers
• Floor covering – color coordinated, full, & floor mats
• Door trim – soft armrest/grab handle, molded upper applique', upper & lower map pockets & reflector
• Front seat – high series cloth 40/20/40 split bench w/center armrest, cupholder & storage
• Power equipment – driver window, door locks & windows w/backlit switches & accessory delay
• Steering wheel – speed control/tilt

Lariat
All XLT content, plus:
Exterior
• Cab steps – Black, molded
• Glass – privacy
• Wheels – 17" premium aluminum wheels w/bright center ornament
• Window – rear, sliding
Interior
• Air conditioning – electronic automatic temperature control (EATC)*
• Front seat – premium leather seating surfaces 40/20/40 split bench w/center armrest, cupholder & storage
• Door trim – soft armrest/grab handle, woodgrain upper applique', upper & lower map pockets & reflector
• Instrument panel – simulated woodgrain insert*
• Instrumentation – bronze-faced instrument cluster w/enhanced message center & trip computer w/ compass, distance-to-empty, average fuel economy, autolamp configuration & status, system check, & language selection*
• Mirror – electrochromic rearview*
• Power driver & passenger's seat (passenger Crew Cab only)
• Steering wheel – leather-wrapped, black w/redundant audio & climate controls*
• Sunvisors – color coordinated cloth, single driver w/map strap & covered lighted mirror, single passenger w/covered lighted mirror
Safety/Security
• Advanced Security Group (autolock, autolamp, remote keyless entry, & wired keypad)

* = new for this model year

Old 07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Boo_Daddy
Yeah. I am thinking the 05 also. I dont know what kinda deal I can get worked out with them. I would really like to find a lariat, but I havent seen one in the supercab in my area in quite a while.
I love the supercabs, not as big as the crew cab, but still have lots of room, and they still look somewhat "sporty"
I am headed up to the dealer tomorrow to see what I can work out on my Tacoma. I polished the Taco up and have her ready to trade.

I could prolly get into the 03 and my payments stay about the same as what I am paying now, or I could get into the 05 for a little more. I am thinking 30-31k for the 05 and prolly 25k for the 03.

Im gonna miss the Taco (its a damn good truck), It just doesnt tow my boat worth a darn. I have been doing ALOT of towing lately, and it really wears the Taco out.
I am a fellow Tacoma owner as well
I went from a 1998 std cab 4cyl to my 02 F-350 Diesel You may miss the taco for alittle bit, but you will love the POWER!!!!! of the diesel.
I would def think about finding a 02/early 03 with the 7.3 if any are still available or buy the 05 which has a better reputation for the 6.0
I have a lariat 4x4 supercab SRW,longbed I would never trade it for anything!!!!
are you a TTORA member?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Deluxe05....Thats exactly what I was looking for. Lots of good info.
Theres a couple things in the Lariat that I would like to have... mainly the message center (fuel computer) and the electronic climate control, and the advanced security group.

Maybe I should hold off and try and find a lariat. I will let you guys know what kinda deals he offers on the 03 and 05.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 AM
EaTmYtAiLpIpEs
Senior User
well im happy with what my truck came with for the price i paid.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Ok, I actually brought the 05 home tonight. I have it on a 24 hour test drive. It has 36k miles, XLT with the rubber floor, brake controller, and upfitters, and thats about all the options it has. I think it has the backup sensors...it beeps once or twice when in reverse.
Whoever had it before like performance. It has a K&N filter and a badass sounding straight exhaust... its like 5 inches in diameter and theres NO MUFFLER!! I dont think there is even a cat. This thing sounds badass.

What kind of stuff should I look for? Anything tell tale signs of breakdown I should check before I sign the paperwork.

Oh yeah, he came down to $30,500 on the truck. Does this sound like a good deal?

Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 AM
EaTmYtAiLpIpEs
Senior User
if it is comming from a dealer I would say you want an oasis and a carfax report.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Just plugging a 2005 XLT, 4x4, Super Cab, long box into Kelly Blue Book shows a retail value of $30,175 using my own zip code. The upfitter switches and the TowCommand system were worth about $350 as options. So, that sounds like it is in the right ballpark, but you may want to hit Kelly Blue Book, and check what it is valued at for your region.

If you do get serious about buying, I would strongly suggest getting the dealer to put in a stock air intake system. Work it in as part of the sales deal, and share as little of the cost for the intake setup as possible. If the dealership wants to make the sale, they may very well throw it in, and absorb the cost with the sale of the truck. Incidentally, there are tons of posts throughout the 6.0L forum here on Ford Truck Enthusiasts regarding the 6.0L motor & aftermarket air intake systems.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Differences between an XLT and a Lariat