1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Ford Tow Command "TBC Fault" message

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Rotterdam24
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Ford Tow Command "TBC Fault" message

Hi all. Didn't expect my first post to be a cry for help! We are in Montreal and are getting a "TBC Fault" message from the tow command brake controller. The owners manual is a little fuzzy about it...says may experience degradation of braking. The message displays each time I start the truck and clears if I hit the reset. I get a good connection if I hook up, and can hear the brakes activate on trailer...just have not tried to tow. Dealer can not help until after we are scheduled to leave....anyone have any experience with this. I would prefer to try and get home to US which is 4 hours ride.

Thanks!!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're a little unclear here. Are you getting the TBC fault when the trailer is hooked up, or only when it is unhooked?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:39 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
If the trailer brakes are still working I would head for home, but take it easy.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM
1rosario
Freshman User
Did anyone ever find a way to resolve this? The OP's problem is a similar to mine. Most other threads I've read only get the Fault message w/ the trailer hooked up. I have never had a trailer on mine ('05 F250 CC SB 50k miles) and I get the TBC Fault at start up everytime and I have to hit the reset button for it to go away and be able to see other info on the dash. I just got this truck and when I got it, someone had yanked out the wiring from the trailer plug. I went and got one from another identical truck, and replaced it and matched up all the wiring as in the other one. Now, keep in mind that I went and did this because the "TBC Fault" message was ALREADY showing on the truck - I thought the problem would be fixed after I fixed the plug - but it's still there.
I friend of mine that installs 5th wheel hitches and ther truck accesories, helped me check it w/ a little thing he has and it shows all the lights for the trailers and all, anyway, so this thing shows that all the lights - running, marker, brake lights, work as they should, but there is nothing from the trailer brake controller, it's like there's nothing there. We checked all fuses and there seems to be power at the plug. We even cleaned out the plug, had some dirt, but no water like some others have stated in previous posts.
He thinks something might have happened to the brake controller and FORD may have to reset it or something, or the brake controller burned out, because the wiring was yanked the way it was.

Any ideas? What else should I check?
I have a fifth wheel and we wanted to take a trip for Thanksgiving, but it won't happen if I can't figure this one out. I'll have to pay to fix this so, I only want to visit Ford as a last resort.

THX FOR ANY INPUT ON THIS!!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:23 PM
1rosario
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 1rosario
Did anyone ever find a way to resolve this? The OP's problem is a similar to mine. Most other threads I've read only get the Fault message w/ the trailer hooked up. I have never had a trailer on mine ('05 F250 CC SB 50k miles) and I get the TBC Fault at start up everytime and I have to hit the reset button for it to go away and be able to see other info on the dash. I just got this truck and when I got it, someone had yanked out the wiring from the trailer plug. I went and got one from another identical truck, and replaced it and matched up all the wiring as in the other one. Now, keep in mind that I went and did this because the "TBC Fault" message was ALREADY showing on the truck - I thought the problem would be fixed after I fixed the plug - but it's still there.
I friend of mine that installs 5th wheel hitches and ther truck accesories, helped me check it w/ a little thing he has and it shows all the lights for the trailers and all, anyway, so this thing shows that all the lights - running, marker, brake lights, work as they should, but there is nothing from the trailer brake controller, it's like there's nothing there. We checked all fuses and there seems to be power at the plug. We even cleaned out the plug, had some dirt, but no water like some others have stated in previous posts.
He thinks something might have happened to the brake controller and FORD may have to reset it or something, or the brake controller burned out, because the wiring was yanked the way it was.

Any ideas? What else should I check?
I have a fifth wheel and we wanted to take a trip for Thanksgiving, but it won't happen if I can't figure this one out. I'll have to pay to fix this so, I only want to visit Ford as a last resort.

THX FOR ANY INPUT ON THIS!!
Can anyone out there help me out w/ this one?
THX!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:15 AM
duck
New User
I took my '06 in for the TBC FAULT. The dealership told me that its a problem they are seeing more and more. Basically its a faulty design at the firewall that allow moisture in the wiring. There is a replacement piece they are adding, as well as drying the connectors. Take this w/a grain of salt though, they told me that since mine was a "soft-code" (meaning it didnt stay on) that it was at the bottom of the list to fix.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Rotterdam24: I would hook up to the trailer,,make sure lights all work,,set the Gain around 6.5 or so on the controller,,put truck in gear to start moving ,,and try the Brakes,,see if the BC lights up when you apply the brakes,,then try the manual Brake push Button (on the BC)to see if you can feel it slow the truck down when rolling.

The only message I have ever had is a " Check Trailer" message,,and the BEEEEEP when it comes on,,,all from a bad ground, or loose connection,, The bad Ground was a loose wire from a Original crimp,,(on the trailer)the thing would contact and then not on every bump,,,Drove me nuts, with the BEEEEEEEEP every single time,,but I had about 5 miles to home,,so I just cranked the Radio,,everything was hooked up, so nothing I could do until I abel to get under it. Have Fun !

Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 PM
RDJ184
Postmaster
my 06 is doing the same thing morning just like m350 and yes that is annoying i will be fixn that this evening

Old 12-23-2007, 08:05 PM
VelocityDriver
Junior User
I had a problem with the TBC fault, after 2 trips to the dealer, they had to replace the cluster, said there was a "flaw" in the '06 programing that I had.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Jim McCarty
Tuned
What type of brakes are on the trailer? I had to install an aftermarket brake controller because my trailer has electric over hydraulic disc brakes and the Ford controller will only handle electric brakes. Everything but the brakes (all the lights) would work, but no brakes.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:30 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Trailer error

I continue to have the same problem with my 2005. Can't seem to find the problem. When it does this it looses the trailer brakes until it resets. I am almost to the point of installing an aftermarket box, but one of the reasons I upgraded from my 2001 was the built in control. This sucks.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:52 PM
marspec
Senior User
I had a 2005 and everytime I had a problem it was traceable to the trailer. Once the RV tech said he checked everything and no problem with the trailer. I noticed the owners Ford PSD and had them hook it up and got the same problem. Further testing showed a short in the brake line running thru the axle.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM
VelocityDriver
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jim McCarty
What type of brakes are on the trailer? I had to install an aftermarket brake controller because my trailer has electric over hydraulic disc brakes and the Ford controller will only handle electric brakes. Everything but the brakes (all the lights) would work, but no brakes.
I have not had an issued running Electric over Hyd on my trailer with the Ford controller. I'm using a Brake-Rite actuator system.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:45 PM
mattomoto
New User
Yes, I have had this problem too- does not effect the brakes and all lights work as well as the brakes, just the little annoying beep. I have finally traced it to when I have been driving in the rain or it has sat for a while in a humid area of the country it will beep occationally until it dries out I guess. Here in Colorado, I hardly ever here it go off. This only happens when towing. Kinda seems in line with what Duck reported above.

Matto

Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Rotterdam24
Freshman User
Resolution!

Sorry to everyone, but I thought that I had posted the final resolution. I ultimately drove it home and had trailer brakes if manually activating the slide control. Ford tech fixed it in less than an hour, and all has been well since then. It was a diode or resistor replacement that did the trick.
Now, what amazed me was that dealers never stock any parts in my area, but yet that had some wacky diode thing...sounds like this may be a re-work of the original design, eh?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Ford Tow Command "TBC Fault" message