Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 f350 ran out of diesel won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:33 PM
elvia
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 f350 ran out of diesel won't start

ok, ok when I cleaned out my tank 2 weeks ago and changed my fuel pump the fuel gague was not reading correct. so I put 10 gallons in it and was going to drop the tank again this weekend. Well, 10 gallons wan not enough. I opened up the fuel filter on the engine and it was empty. I filled it up and tried to start it. no go. I had it towed home and am now trying to get it started.
Where should I start? I checked the fuel filter again and added some more diesel. While cranking, it sounds like someone is hitting a pipe with a hammer. I realize I will have to bleed the injectors, but don't know where to look for them.
I need help
elvia

Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elvia
ok, ok when I cleaned out my tank 2 weeks ago and changed my fuel pump the fuel gague was not reading correct. so I put 10 gallons in it and was going to drop the tank again this weekend. Well, 10 gallons wan not enough. I opened up the fuel filter on the engine and it was empty. I filled it up and tried to start it. no go. I had it towed home and am now trying to get it started.
Where should I start? I checked the fuel filter again and added some more diesel. While cranking, it sounds like someone is hitting a pipe with a hammer. I realize I will have to bleed the injectors, but don't know where to look for them.
I need help
elvia
What I would do is to put key to start with out turning over the motor. Listen to the fuel pump. After about 30 seconds, turn off the key and turn back on. You'll want to cycle the fuel pump about 5 to 6 times until you hear the pump start to sound slower when pressure starts to rise. Then try to start the motor. It will sound like crap until all the air is purged.

Dave

Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 PM
elvia
Senior User
I have tried that about 10 times at least, nothing yet. I'll try some more.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:52 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
sounds to me like your fuel pump isnt working! but heck i know nothing about that!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:03 PM
elvia
Senior User
could be, but Its only 2 weels old. i have my laptop outside by the truck so I can check messages

Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
ive bought more than one bad part before! someone on here knows how to test it maybe they will chime in soon!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:21 PM
elvia
Senior User
medhvac I have a sister that lives in Springfield about 200 miles from you

Old 07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
ive been there boy was that a bad day!lol

Old 07-23-2007, 09:40 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
well me and my wife headed out friday morning me pullin camper w/truck and wife pullin boat w/trailblazer and youngest kid 16. to pomme de terr 190 miles one way. get there at 12:00 start drinkin at 3 pm. our oldest kid 19 was commin up later with his friend and friends girl friend long story short. they had 2 flat tires on 44 by st.james at 11:00pm well not gona leave them there so we take off to go get them wife drivin i been drinking!lol somehow we missed our turn and ended up in springfield mo. when we should of been in lebanon mo.picked them up and got in bed at 5:00 am saturday! got up at 8:00 am took the two boys and drove back to st.james to get the car! we got back at 3:00pm saturday! no boating that day! boated sunday tho! so i spent and extra 120 dollars in gas and put a 950 miles on my truck! for a 400 mile round trip camping trip plus one cracked windshield! but hey one bad day at camp is better than one day at work! just venting!lol

Old 07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you checked your fuses?

Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Wheeewwwww, boy that was a bad one. But I gotta agree with yah on your philosophy though. Nice to see it hasn't gott'n yah down. If kwik or Alan or Kris can chime in here I'm sure they can be a bigger help to yah than me. When my wife put gas in her EX by mistake, I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the pump to keep it running continuosly to empty it out. This would be one way to find out if the pumps is working and or if the pump is getting power or not. Country

Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 PM
elvia
Senior User
i checked all the fuses under the dash. they were all good. I just pulled the fuel line off the fuel pump tank side. I put a clear tube and put the tube in a gallon container. cranked it over and it pulls about 3 inches of fuel in the tube. I loosened up the fuel filter cover to see if there was any pressure in the housing. there was none. should there have been any?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:00 PM
lookin71
Freshman User
Yippee!! My very first POST!!

This is my FIRST post. I need to learn, so I comment not and read much.

However, I ran out of diesel once. It was about midnight, I passed up about 7 gas stations. If they were open, they did not sell diesel. If they did sell diesel, they were frigging CLOSED!!

Diesel started acting up, I turned it off and coasted into a strip mall parking lot.

Walked three miles home, drove my other car around to find diesel, put five gallons in the tank, and started cranking. Cranked her till the starter BROKE!! I didn't crank for very long at a time, maybe six or seven seconde, figuring this might take a while, but I still killed the starter.

So, the following day, in the rain, of course, I had to replace the starter. After that, the thing started on the FIRST crank. Talk about pissed!!

Hint: when buying parts from Auto Zone, ask them to match the price to the lowest store, and they should do it. An employee told me that when he did not have one in stock. Difference was $40. Normally I get my cousin to get me stuff wholesale, but this was on a weekend, and I did not want to wait. You could ask them which store had the cheapest price, but they may not cooperate. I had a store manager tell me once he could not to that. I didn't buy the parts either.

So, just be patient, don't kill the starter. I cranked off and on for about 30 minutes easy.

Good luck friend,

Donnie

Old 07-23-2007, 10:24 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
No it'll just spill alittle if you don't drain the fuel bowl first. HUMMM Well Elvia If it were me I would try a hot lead to the pump. Acouple of reasons, to make sure the pump works,and to prime the pump. Then check the power source to the pump also with a test light or continuity tester. If none of these yield any answers I would suspect vapor lock. Oh and before I forget you don't have to bleed the Injectors once it fires. It will run alittle rough for about 60-100 miles but the air will work itself out thru the system. Country.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by countrycar
I would suspect vapor lock.
Hit the nail on the head. Whenever you run out of diesel, if you are not working with a full tank afterwards, you are just asking for trouble.

After all you have done, you are just going to have to pull the line after the fuel pump, and then turn the key on until the pump starts sucking diesel. Once you have diesel coming there, hook the line back up. Make sure you have the cap off the fuel bowl and turn the key on again to make sure you have fuel coming up to the bowl. If you do, she'll start.

If not, you are going to have to get some air to blow in the tank while you have the pump running and checking the fuel bowl for diesel.

I have helped several friends get their trucks started after running out of diesel, and always get them running. If you would have just filled up the tank to begin with, 9/10 she would have started right up.

Quick Reply: 2000 f350 ran out of diesel won't start