Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

Dixons Gun Fair next weekend..anyone going??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:04 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dixons Gun Fair next weekend..anyone going??

Fellers time is short but wanted to tell ya'll about this upcoming event! Now mind ye, this is fer them folks interested in the outdoors but may be of interest to others! Next weekend at Kempton, Pa. there's an event going on that ought to peak yer interests for many reasons. If you have any interest in history, shooting, guns, outdoor related activities, gunsmithing, early American crafts or lifestyles..don't miss this event! Go to Google and google-up "Dixons Gun Fair" and make some time to attend! I try and attend this event every year for several reasons but here's some of my favorites. First off I get to meet some of the finest craftsmen/women in Pa. and it's free! Yup! No cover charge, no fees other than a $2 parking fee to off-set the on-sight ambulances and attendees. Once there ye'll get to meet and chat with some of the finest artisans who build traditional american flintlocks, matchlocks, wheel-locks and even some percussion guns in the world! Peter Alexander, Chambers, Castille and many others that you've only read about! Seminars are going on all day long..again free! From building guns, carving stocks, whittlin' powder horns, sewing and many other traditional crafts. And did I mention..it's all free! Wanna see how a barrel is fordged in a true blacksmiths fordge? See how it's rifled? Fer free! Hear ole time musicians and watch the Brits in pre-1840 dress fire the cannon ever hour-on-the-hour? Visit a campsite manned by pre-1800's folks? Shoot a real flintlock 'er Fergusson rifle! Well..lets gitter done! Now somewhar's in that crowd yer gonna see a portly old man..tattered and a bit thread-bare. Likely he'll be walking about in a daze and reaching for his deflated wallet and drooling slightly. Now here's the kicker..he'll be wearing a bright orange pair of suspenders! Yup..bright hunter-orange-day-glo suspenders. That'll be me..the oldfart. I'll be there from 9a.m. till at least 4p.m. with a big silly grin on my mug. Step up an don't be bashful. Tell me yer from F.T.E and grab a handfull'a gnarled mitt and introduce yerself. An be prepared fer a bear-hug and I'll swap some yarns wi' ye if ye have the time! Meet me there my friends if time permits. Till then...be blessed my friends! Audie...the oldfart!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Sounds like a great weekend Audie, especially for those members that are into black powder or re-enactments.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Fords&Farmalls
Senior User
You bet I'm going! I live in Kempton and know the dixons. Really, this fair is very cool and I would highly reccomend going.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 PM
btoohey44
Junior User
Sounds like fun, I may have to drive up on Saturday and check it out. Thanks for the info "oldfart".

Old 07-21-2007, 01:51 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Well now fellers I hope to meet some of ya'll there. Like I mentioned, look fer them bright orange suspenders..no one else in their right mind would wear 'em! Also don't be thinking this is just a bunch'a re-enactors portraying historical things. Nosirreeebob! This is about heritage. How'd they make that and how'd they do that? Not just the guns! Making and using leather for common items. How was cloth made/ used? How'd they start a fire with a piece of rock and a little chunk'a steel? Or a wooden bow? Can a handfull'a weeds actually be transformed into rope? You betch'a! Who figgered out fat and lye (made from common hardwood ashes) will make soap? And bring them young'uns! They'll be just amazed to see what all goes on! And the wimminfolks as well! Mind ye 99% of the folks attending won't be dressed in "ole-timey" clothes. That's not what this Gun Fair is all about. This ain't no rondevouse. It's a Fair concerned with educating and sharing some old time skills and knowledge. And it's free! C'mon down ya'll! Audie..the oldfart!