West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Fuel Additive Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:02 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Additive Question

I was recently at a Chev*** station adding Diesel Kleen after a fill up...just like I always do when the station owner (a local I know) walked over and told me that I didn't need to use any additive. He says that the company mentioned above adds it when they load the truck for delivery. Says he gets a pink slip showing how much was added to each truck load.

Can anyone chime in on this?

I add the DK primarily as a hedge against injector issues. The winter blend (white bottle) also has the anti-gel for cold temps so I use that when the temps drop. Bottom line is I feel it's an insurance policy for injector health.

Am I right or wrong?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
I'm sure if you run the fuel from the mentioned station without adding DK you will be able to hear more noise from the injectors. I do add DK every time I get fuel.
As a test run your tank low then fill up at that station. Show the owner your not adding anything to the tank and take him for a ride. Then add the DK and go for another ride. Let me know what you find.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
My basic plan was to ask around and see if other truck owners agreed with me.

I don't want to run the fuel without adding the DK unless I got some agreement from you guys that I'm not creating issues for my injectors. Then, I'd try the fuel without additive and see if I notice any difference.

Joe

Old 07-19-2007, 02:39 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
This response is from the FTE Members Forum:

Originally Posted by Snowbunny
That particular station has always included their own additives at the time of the dump. The industry has always considered it to be a good product ~was a time that that was the only place I would buy~ unlike a few other places who get their gas imported from China and have water issues... However, I never drove for them, and only delived to un-branded (mom and pop) stations so I don't know exactly what it includes. And it's been a few years, so I'm sure the 'chemistry' has changed a bit. Here's a link to some of their info that may be helpful.

http://www.chevronlubricants.com/wor...dd/default.asp

Personanlly, I add DK too... I don't know if there's such a thing as 'too much' but there definitely is a thing as 'not enough' were this is concerned...
Good stuff if you ask me!

Joe

Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The 03 injectors and pump should be able to handle ULSD just fine, but, there is no way that you can get or keep your fuel system to clean or to lubricated.

Yes all the fuel companies say that there should be enough lubrication in the ULSD for even the old diesel engines.
But that is not what we are seeing in the IDI forum.

I run Diesel Kleen in every tank of fuel in my truck as well.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,520 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Joe,
At work the mechanics said that Ford suggested using their additive but that Lucas additive is as good. We used both with the new low sulfur fuel and have not had any problems. It has cured some of the problems of we were experiencing like fuel pumps failing and low MPG. However the MPG never came back to the old fuel mileage. All of the fuel companies put additives in the fuel and they switch in this area about May and October for Spring and Winter. I am going to start with Lucas and see how my MPG goes!
And there are several other good additives like Amsoil additive if you can find it!

Rod

P.S. I will have the graphic Monday and get it to you ASAP!