lincoln dohc 4.6 into a 68 f100 sb

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 AM
jpbfletch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lincoln dohc 4.6 into a 68 f100 sb

I have a 68 ford f100 sb with a 390 and recently bought a salvaged 98 lincoln mark VIII with a good dohc 4.6. Any ideas on the best way to make this swap work? Should I swap whole front end? The 68 already has disc brakes on the front. Thank you

Old 07-06-2007, 04:26 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...hlight=69+f100

read this entire thread, and then decide.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:17 AM
darrin1999
Posting Guru
sell the 4.6 and rebuild the 390

Old 07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
jpbfletch
New User
The 390 is rebuilt, however I would just like to do something a little different plus make it a whole lot more driveable. Don't really want to buy a grand marquis or crown vic and change sheet metal, just thought someone might have an idea for it.

thanks

Old 07-09-2007, 10:42 AM
blackout150
Senior User
I have been interested in this swap for quite a while. I really want to put the DOHC in my 71 Mach 1. From what I have read, you need the 93-95/96 pre PATS computer (passive anti theft), or buy a module that bypasses it. With the PATS equipped vehicle, it reads the chipped key, and other such sensors (airbags, etc) and wont run with out it. This only what I have read, not my experience. I have been searching for the right vehicle at the right price with not much luck. I would say go for it if you can get a workaround for the PATs module. To have 280-300 HP, O/D trans, excellent driveability and decent fuel mileage is what appeals to me. Not to mention that there is a ton of aftermarket parts for the 4.6, not to mention the ease of adding a supercharger later. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:59 PM
427SOHC
Senior User
Just do it!

I already have installed one in my 79 F100, the truck is still under construction but the new power plant looks awesome in there.
I purchased an entire 93 Lincoln Mark 8 with front end damage that was low mileage stripped it down and scrapped the rest. And by the way if you intend to pull the engine from one of these cars DONT! I found it easier to drop engine and tranny out the bottom, so much easier.
I seen a 56 Ford car at the 2007 F100 Supernationals in Knoxville this spring....it is a real sleeper, once the hood on this beast was opened there sit the 32 valve 4 cam Lincoln Mark 8 engine. Not to mention the whole interior was grafted into the car as well.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 PM
jpbfletch
New User
I would be interested in any pics/info you might have. Have you run into any problems with all of the electrical items?

Thank you

Old 09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
blackout150
Senior User
Originally Posted by jpbfletch
I would be interested in any pics/info you might have. Have you run into any problems with all of the electrical items?

Thank you
What he said! I would rather use 5.4DOHC or 4.6 Cobra s/c engine, but the computer issue with pats and price are pushing me towards finding a Mark VIII for the swap. You should make a web page detailing your swap with pics, would be a great help to the rest of us.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:45 PM
427SOHC
Senior User
I will work on the web page/gallery.

I purchased a complete wiring harness diagram from AHDOL.com for less than 15.00 usd and is around 50 pages of extremely detailed wiring schematics. This is not the first diagram I have purchased from them, the are awesome to work with. They were a life saver with a 97 Dodge that had been stolen and hacked on.

I am reusing 90% of the original harness, I will have to bypass the antilock brake module or "dummy" it up, along with the air ride system unless I can figure a way to interface it with my air bags.
I found a 93 Mark 8 in Richmond, IN in a guys garage with 84000 miles and front end damage for 500.00. It has been garaged since the wreck in 99 and I just purchased it in March of this year.
I winched it on the trailer and DROVE it off. I did however have to drive 200 miles for it.
I parted out everything I wouldnt need on Ebay and recovered my money.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
upandrunning
New User
1997 lincoln continental 4.6 - 32 valve v8 conversion to rear wheel drive?

Hello 427dohc,

I'm buying a 1997 lincoln continental 4.6 - 32 valve v8. THE WHOLE CAR some say this engine want fit in rear wheel drive vehicles. But if it'll work i want to know how. and i need help on instructions in installing engine in a 1978 ford pickup rear wheel drive. plus advice on the electrical part and what transmission i should use with project and all the wiring i should use. IF YOU CAN'T HELP ME REFER ME TO SOMEBODY ELSE THAT WILL TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE ME ADVICE AND DIRECTION SINCERELY, UPANDRUNNING

Old 04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
upandrunning
New User
SORRY 427SOHC I MEANT TO SAY SAID 427DOHC

Old 05-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by upandrunning
Hello 427dohc,

I'm buying a 1997 lincoln continental 4.6 - 32 valve v8. THE WHOLE CAR some say this engine want fit in rear wheel drive vehicles. But if it'll work i want to know how. and i need help on instructions in installing engine in a 1978 ford pickup rear wheel drive. plus advice on the electrical part and what transmission i should use with project and all the wiring i should use. IF YOU CAN'T HELP ME REFER ME TO SOMEBODY ELSE THAT WILL TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE ME ADVICE AND DIRECTION SINCERELY, UPANDRUNNING
If the car is an LS it is rwd and will be useable, where the FWD 4.6 enine is not.
You will probably use nearly all of the engine and dash wiring as well as all of the "black boxes". This project is not easy and not even remotely like putting a big FE into a Ranger, for example. You are looking at weeks to months of work. You might be better off trying to mount your body onto the Conti's frame. JMNSHO.
Good luck with it.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Continental is front wheel drive.The block on front wheel drive has a COMPLETLEY different pattern than a RWD car.Therefore it is worthless for a rwd conversion.
The internals of the engine are the same however.If you got a bare teksid block(easy to procure on mustang sites) you could change it over.
That is probably way more work than most would want to do for a "salvage" engine since there are so many other good subjects out there.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To ; upandrunning

Here's some more info to chew on;
The FWD 4.6 is not drilled and tapped for a motor mount on the pass. side.
The bell housing pattern is that of a Taurus.
The front cover is not the same as the RWD cars and trucks.
Those are just 3 BIG negatives to the swap you are thinking of.

As said before, the engine is good for it's internal parts but too much work and cost to be worth the effort.
Save your money until you find a 5.4 DOHC Navigator for a donor and buy the whole truck for it's parts 'cause you're going to need all of it and more.
If you don't you will be making lots of trips to the bone yards and the parts stores to get the things you thought you wouldn't need.

Been there, done that and doing it again.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
upandrunning
New User
thanks to you fordman67 and moto mel my mind is made up

Hello Fordman and Moto Mel, I think you'll guys for helping me make the decision the conversion of the 1997 lincoln continental 4.6l 32 valve. But I'm still planning on buying the car. I know the guy that has the car. He said he quit driving the car cause something keeps cutting the serpentine belt. Would you'll have any idea what's cutting that belt. But he said other that the motor is strong and the transmission is too. So since I'm not going to do the conversion. How can it be upgraded to perform with more rwhp without spending a arm and leg? Sincerely, upandrunning

Quick Reply: lincoln dohc 4.6 into a 68 f100 sb