13mwz

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 13mwz

Iraqi's love Texas
I'm in Iraq and just thought I'd pass this lil story out to yall. I've already told it to the one and only Connie (ford4life69).
I was talking with one of the locals when I first got in country. He asked me where in America I'm from and I told him (with a puffed out chest and big ol grin of course) Texas. He got all excited and started hollering to the other locals and about every other he said was Texas. A group of locals (kids and adults mixed) came over to us talking in arabic real fast. The guy I was talking to translated some of their questions, things like "how many horses do you have" "do you know John Wayne" "how big is your ranch" "where are your spurs" "what color is your cowboy hat" and the sort.
It was pretty fun.
A week or two later we were out that way again and the same guy noticed me and shouted (with a thumbs up) "Hi Texas! Texas good!!!Texas good! My cowboy friend!" So naturaly I belted out a "yeeeehaaaaaa" for him and the kids all copied me as they ran next to our HMMWV. Me and the guys had a good laugh from that for a little while, then I sort of forgot about it.
Well, just the other day I ran into the fellow again. Before I recognized him he called out "Cowboy!!!!!" He came up to me with a little boy and said it was his son. The boy said (is suprisingly good english) that he knows 4 Texans, 3 soldiers and Pres Bush. He said all Texans are good people and he loves us. He told me something along the lines of "When American soldiers kill all the bad people and Iraq and America are friends he wants to move to Texas and be a cowboy"

When I was back in the states almost every news station was talking about protests and how we shouldnt be in Iraq and they dont want us there. I dont know what they're saying now but I can assure yall that these are a great bunch of people. I have meet a lot of locals and only a few of them had a grudge against America, but still said they'd rather we were here than Saddam.

I dunno, I just wanted to tell yall that little story. Wanted to talk to some good ol Texans I guess. That little kid got me sorta homesick. Just a little over a month now untill R&R!

Anyways yall take care and down a Shiner for me huh?!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started this thread with a copy of a post that a Texas Chapter member started.

Looks like he will be home soon, but I am sure like any soldier, would not mind emails of encouragement...If you appreciate the post, feel frre to add to his Rep points.

Here is a link to his personal profile on FTE:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/members/13mwz.html

Mike