2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Upgrade speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Upgrade speakers??

Is anyone upgraded or planning on upgrading the speakers? I was wondering if it is possible to swap out the OEM tweeter with a better one so you could use a component set up front. Any ideas? Thx.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Jason Merrick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Berry, sorry for such a late response. I just finished my audio upgrades on my '07 EL.

I kept the audiophile head unit because I like the stock look and the 6-disc mp3 player.

I upgraded the front speakers to a pair of Polk DB-series 6.5" components and yes, I replaced the factory tweeter with the Polk tweeter in the stock location. Fit perfect.

I upgraded the rear door speakers to Polk DB-series 5x7/6x8's.

I tore out the factory subwoofer and in it's place installed a JBL 6-channel amp running 60 watts RMS to each of the doors and 300 watts RMS to my 10" Alpine sub mounted in a downfiring box carpeted in all black to match the cargo area.

After all this, I am VERY happy with the sound in my Expy!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Don't suppose you have any pictures of this install? I was looking to do the same but still retain the factory navigation.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Jason Merrick
New User
Originally Posted by CarbonClear
Don't suppose you have any pictures of this install? I was looking to do the same but still retain the factory navigation.
If you're referring to the actual installation process, no I don't. I could take some pics of the finished product, but there's not much to see. The only visible components of my system are the Polk tweeters in the factory location and the sub box with a down firing Alpine sub. Sorry...

Old 07-30-2007, 03:17 AM
Jason Merrick
New User
Alright, as promised, here are some pics... not much to look at though!

Polk db6501 Component Tweeter mounted in factory location.

The JBL GTO755.6 II is hiding in there somewhere...

Slightly zoomed in...

...and a little more...

Downfiring Alpine Type-S 10" sub...

The shelf can still be in the "up" position with the sub.

Yes, there really is a sub in there!

Last but not least, my sub gain control.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:12 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Jason, thanks for the great pics! What a nice job!

At least now I have a direction that I want to proceed. Btw what are you using to tie into the factory head unit? Are you getting any distortion? If I recall you have the amp feeding your sub woofer and the rest of the speakers is on your factory amp?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:48 AM
Jason Merrick
New User
Originally Posted by CarbonClear
Jason, thanks for the great pics! What a nice job!

At least now I have a direction that I want to proceed. Btw what are you using to tie into the factory head unit? Are you getting any distortion? If I recall you have the amp feeding your sub woofer and the rest of the speakers is on your factory amp?
Thanks Carbon... I'm very happy with the system now.

I have a Line Out Converter coming off the headunit and connecting to the 6-channel JBL amp. That amp is pushing 60w RMS to each door and 300w RMS to the sub. I can turn it up extremely loud (as loud as I can comfortably listen) without any distortion at all. As you may have noticed on the sub gain control, it's only turned up 1/2 way too.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Nice pix! I am curious as to how they mounted the tweeter from the inside. Looks tight man. Nice going.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
How are the (factory) speakers? I mean what brand, and how do they look compared to the Polk?

It seems to me they are already a quality speaker, but I am sure they are not Polk quality

Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kenttrudiw
How are the (factory) speakers? I mean what brand, and how do they look compared to the Polk?

It seems to me they are already a quality speaker, but I am sure they are not Polk quality
More than likely a no name product made in Mexico.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Jason Merrick
New User
Originally Posted by kenttrudiw

They're already stored up in my garage attic, but I promised a guy on another forum I'd take a pic of the factory sub, so when I do that I'll try to take some pics of all the original speakers.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Jason Merrick
New User
Okay, here are the pics of the OEM stuff. Sorry about the background, just took 'em down from the garage attic, plopped them down on the nearest flat surface and snapped the pic.

Audiophile Sub

...again

Top View

Side View

Audiophile Tweeter

Back View

Audiophile Front Speaker

Back View

Audiophile Back Speaker

Back View

Old 08-17-2007, 01:47 PM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
Great! Thanks for taking the time to take pics.

The speakers look better than my 2005 Focus, that I removed and put in Polk speakers. I love good sounding music and I do like the sound of the factory speakers, but I am also very sure that your up grade of Polks must sound VERY GOOD!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 AM
IROC it
New User
Please still be around...

Originally Posted by Jason Merrick
Thanks Carbon... I'm very happy with the system now.

I have a Line Out Converter coming off the headunit and connecting to the 6-channel JBL amp. That amp is pushing 60w RMS to each door and 300w RMS to the sub. I can turn it up extremely loud (as loud as I can comfortably listen) without any distortion at all. As you may have noticed on the sub gain control, it's only turned up 1/2 way too.
I just traded off my '06 F-150 Super Crew for my '08 Expedition XLT...

I am hoping that you can tell me the color of wire that you used to tie in your remote turn on for the aftermarket amp...

Also, which wires did you use to send signal (behind the head unit?) for the LOC?

I have an SNI-1 by PAC that I used in the F-150...

If you read this, or if someone that knows reads this...

Thanks In Advance!!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:25 PM
nfntruth
Senior User
I did a similar setup in my 07 expy, added two amps, one for my aura bass shakers in the front seats, and one for my 10" kicker sub I mounted in the rear drivers side window, I never figured out the remote power, but I thought it was a better idea to run it off a switch from the accessory line, that way I can kill the stereo back to factory with the flip of a switch, and I too used an epicenter bass control rheostat for my sub, gives you more control pending the type of music you listen to. I mounted the switch on that bottom blank under the heat/ac controls.

Quick Reply: Upgrade speakers??