2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Silverstar Headlights - YES!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 PM
R-WEST
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Silverstar Headlights - YES!!

After climbing out of the vehicle a few times at night to be sure the headlights WERE actually on, I gave up and got some Silverstar H13 ST2's from Advance Auto ($38.00/pr). WOW!! What a difference. Next I'll install some 9145 Silvers in the fog lights and I'll be set.

My '03 had SS's in both high and low beams, and, after driving my '07 at night I couldn't believe the difference.

I've heard that the SS's have a reputation for needing replacement every year or so (the last ones I had didn't, maybe the guys who mentioned that drive only at night, or, drive with their lights on all the time), but, even if that's true, who cares? Being able to see is rather more important, I'd say.

BTW - Put some H13's in the wife's Freestyle too. She's most impressed.

I can't understand why Ford doesn't do a better job with the lighting. I mean, even the "lower end" Expy's cost nearly $40G - you'd think we'd get some decent lights, y'know?

Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
That would be nice if Ford would want to consider it.

It's kinda of sad when you can better lighting options in different suv's other then Ford. At the very least they could offer a lighting package. I for one would be more then happy to opt for it.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
what do you think about the lights that are for sale in the group buy? Real HID for $216 high and lows. H13 High and low Bosch HID kit.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by R-WEST
After climbing out of the vehicle a few times at night to be sure the headlights WERE actually on, I gave up and got some Silverstar H13 ST2's from Advance Auto ($38.00/pr). WOW!! What a difference. Next I'll install some 9145 Silvers in the fog lights and I'll be set.

My '03 had SS's in both high and low beams, and, after driving my '07 at night I couldn't believe the difference.

I've heard that the SS's have a reputation for needing replacement every year or so (the last ones I had didn't, maybe the guys who mentioned that drive only at night, or, drive with their lights on all the time), but, even if that's true, who cares? Being able to see is rather more important, I'd say.

BTW - Put some H13's in the wife's Freestyle too. She's most impressed.

I can't understand why Ford doesn't do a better job with the lighting. I mean, even the "lower end" Expy's cost nearly $40G - you'd think we'd get some decent lights, y'know?

Thanks for posting the info on the SS's. I went out today and purchased them for myself as well.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Ratpack
Junior User
Must be a hot commidity, both places I went at lunch were sold out. Will have to try two more after work.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:55 PM
jaym69
Senior User
I put SS in my 06 F150 screw xlt 4x4 and I don't see any change from stock. Those cheap (under a grand) HID kits are illegal. Unless you replace the entire headlight assembly to one made for HID lighting.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
Originally Posted by jaym69
I put SS in my 06 F150 screw xlt 4x4 and I don't see any change from stock. Those cheap (under a grand) HID kits are illegal. Unless you replace the entire headlight assembly to one made for HID lighting.
why are they illegal? and if they are the same color as stock HID's why would it matter.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
jaym69
Senior User
To explain it simply as I can. A real HID(like on high end SUVs and cars) bulb produces light differently than incandecent bulbs. You need a projector type housing with a lens made for HID and not the reflector stye like the incandecent uses. The color and light intensity of HIDs are different and if not in the proper hosing will create a glare for oncoming drivers because the light from HID bulbs is not intended to be reflected out onto the road. If you research it some you will get a better more detailed explanation. I would hate to see someone spend the money on one of those kits and then find out they are federally ilegal.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:08 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
To explain it simply as I can. A real HID(like on high end SUVs and cars) bulb produces light differently than incandecent bulbs. You need a projector type housing with a lens made for HID and not the reflector stye like the incandecent uses. The color and light intensity of HIDs are different and if not in the proper hosing will create a glare for oncoming drivers because the light from HID bulbs is not intended to be reflected out onto the road. If you research it some you will get a better more detailed explanation. I would hate to see someone spend the money on one of those kits and then find out they are federally ilegal.
thanks for the info, I guess i should just buy some silver stars.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:04 AM
n2umr
Senior User
That's interresting, my 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII has HID's and they are housed in a reflective style lens.

Mark

Old 07-10-2007, 09:38 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
Were HID's even around in 1997?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM
gristanv
Freshman User
The first production vehicle to contain both a high and a low-pressure gas discharge lighting system was the 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII

Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 PM
jaym69
Senior User
The 1996 Mark VIII was the first car to have DC (direct current) HIDs in the US. I am guessing many improvements have been made since then. I would not consider the first attempt as a good comparision for today's market 11 years later.

I found the link to the complete article explaining HID light. the article makes sense, HID light is produced differently and is treated different by the housing and lenses on the vehicles they come stock on.

Check out the end of the HID section on this link,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight

Here is the link on HID light i found it
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Old 07-10-2007, 03:03 PM
n2umr
Senior User
I have a 1997 Lincon Mark VIII and it has HID's. My fathers 1996 doesn't. They put the HID's in the Gen 2 cars which were from 1997-1998. Wikipedia might have meant that they started putting them in the cars in 1996 as a 1997 model.

Mark

Old 07-19-2007, 09:37 PM
scarface78
Junior User
No you don't need PROJECTOR TYPE HOSING to have HID ... 2007 Escalades have Projector Type HID ... but my 2007 Infiniti Q56 have HID without Projector Type Hosing.

Quick Reply: Silverstar Headlights - YES!!