General Flathead 8 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 PM
errica
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Flathead 8 questions

I just got a 41 pickup with a 50 flathead in it. It was my dad's and I remember he always had trouble with the flywheel and starter getting stuck. He remedied this by using a screwdriver and a hole in the flywheel housing to move the flywheel a bit and free it up. Worked every time. Well fast forward 8 years and I am trying to get the truck started for the first time in almost a decade and it seems to be hung up, but the flywheel is moving okay.

So I took the starter out, it looks like crap, I am looking get a new one/rebuilding this one.

Here are my questions...

1. Is it better to rebuild, if so at what point is a starter too far gone to bother? And does anyone know of a place local to me, Orange, CA or southern california that does this?

2. Should I get an original style, or one of the new-fangled "small gear reduction" ones from a place like Speedway Motors?

3. Is there any advice about the flywheel/starter hang up, if the new starter doesn't solve that problem?

4. Anything else I should know about this engine??

Old 06-27-2007, 02:42 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
I rambled about starters and bendix' up in the 47 and earlier forum.
1. Replacing the bendix assembly is easy - just a couple of bolts hold it on the starter shaft. Brushes are also easy to replace. Nothing wrong with the stock unit.
2. Can't say about the gear reduction jobs........
3. Bracket to oil pan bolt is probably missing.
4. Yes, but too much to include here.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 09-17-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 PM
errica
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mtflat
3. Bracket to oil pan bolt is probably missing.
Okay, the bracket is not missing...any other ideas?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Errica, your picture of the bendix on the 47 forum shows that washer-like thing has taken a beating. It should be attached to the gear and is staked in place. I have an old starter that looks like yours and mine won't work either. With it loose, it allows the teeth to pull past the ring gear and will lock things up every - almost every time.

I'd say everything is just worn and needs replacing. Save yourself a lot of hassle and spring for a new bendix drive. PN 7831 at Sacto Vintage and last catalog shows $55 for the part. Two bolts and you're in business.

Re: Parts places - NAPA is pretty good about securing most parts for these trucks.

Also, Red's Headers just moved to So Cal from Fort Bragg. You might look them up - google should do it.

Or Patrick's in AZ. Or Mac's Antique auto parts in NY. Or Snyders Antique Auto in New Springfield, OH. Or Joblot Automotive in NY. All are online.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 AM
errica
Freshman User
Thanks for the input Tim, I am going to take the starter in to a guy tonight, see what he can do. I have a feeling that the flywheel is going tohave to be replaced, it is REALLY bad. Any thoughts on replacing that? Places to go, things to look out for?? I didn't realize EXACTLY how much I work I was setting myself up for...

Old 06-28-2007, 08:05 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Unless your flywheel is shot - really shot, any good machine shop can resurface it and also change the ring gear for you.

You can remove the ring gear from the flywheel and have a new one installed (press-fit).

When the engine was changed did they change the closed driveline to an open system? If it's the later open system the clutch and flywheel work is a lot easier.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 AM
errica
Freshman User
Tim, I think the flywheel can be resurfaced after looking at it. Unfortunately they DIDN'T change to an open system, so we are looking at just pulling it and getting all the work done at once. I had a buddy under it yesterday and he wasn't really happy about the steering box, so I think I may have her down for a while and get a few more things fixed. I am bummed because I am impatient and want to drive her NOW!! I will have a plan after this weekend, hopefully!

Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

They usually take awhile - I took my 48 down to the frame and replaced all the worn parts. Ended up with a truck that was mechanically new and it's still a daily driver.

The steering box rebuild is one of the best repairs you can do for enjoyable driving. Right after brakes. Power to go forward is a distant 3rd to the first two.

Have fun with your project. When you're done you'll know how to keep your truck on the road. Its good you've got a friend to help you - seems like a lot of things take more than two hands.