2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Harley Guy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fminperry - I bought my sensors from tpmswholesalers.com. They were about $33 each. Manufacturer is Orange and part number is OEC1043. Work perfectly. The reset tool is Ford part number 8C2Z-1A203-A (Motorcraft part number TPMS19) which lists for $37.98... I used the below procedure to retrain my sensors.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Training

NOTE: If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a "sleep mode" to conserve battery power. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the smart junction box (SJB). For additional information, refer to Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Activation. See: Tire Monitoring System\Testing and Inspection\Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the activation tool, attempt to activate the same sensor with the activation tool. If the sensor still does not respond, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least 1/4 of a turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again.

NOTE: The SJB has a 2-minute time limit between sensor responses. If the SJB does not recognize any 1 of the 4 tire pressure sensors during this time limit, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT and the entire procedure must be repeated.

NOTE: For vehicles with different front and rear tire pressures (such as the E-Series and certain F-Series), the tire pressure sensors must be trained following a tire rotation. Failure to train the sensors will cause the TPMS indicator to illuminate. For vehicles with the same tire pressure for front and rear tires , tire rotation will not affect the system.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.

2. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.

3. Press and release the brake pedal.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position. The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.

6. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the activation tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem. Place the activation tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

7. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the activation tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

8. NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated. Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires. The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

The reset tool is Ford part number 8C2Z-1A203-A (Motorcraft part number TPMS19) which lists for $37.98...

I bought the reset tool from Tasca ford. The procedure above works.

My system works great - no false indications...

Hope this helps.

RP<!-- / message -->

Last edited by Harley Guy; 01-21-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added additional info
Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 AM
theshua
New User
I have a 2010 Ford F150, Lariat. I am having the same issue too. The message "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" will come on and then the low tire pressure light will come on. The message will go away but the low tire pressure light will stay on. This has been going on for a while. After also researching it, some one posted somewhere that they are having the same issue and it was because of a cell phone charger. They advised that when you use a cell phone charger in the cigarette lighter or the 12v outlet, the message will come on. I tried it and sure enough, the message only comes on when I am using the my cell phone. I can drive it for months and the message will not come on but after using my cell phone charger, the message comes on. Does not come on right away but usually after 15 mins or so.

Do you remember if you were using some kind of charger, either cell phone or a GPS charger, when the message came on?

Been trying to have dealership fix it but they would either relearn the system and charge me or say they can recreate the problem.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 PM
funnythebunny
New User
My 2009 F-150 XLT 4X4 SuperCab had been to the dealer twice for the "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" issue. The 1st time the dealer stated they could not duplicate the issue and gave it back to me stating it could be weather related? It's back with the same problem, but this time I took pictures and printed them as proof that it is happening indeed. Later after making an appointment, the message changed to "low pressure" even though the pressure on each tire is exactly at 34.5. I just called them to get an update on the repair (after I dropped it off this morning) and they stated that they found a bad sensor, but are still working on it...

I'll update as I find out more....

Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 PM
dw30504
New User
smart junction box failure

picked up my new to me 09 f150 4x4 supercrew 5.4L from the dealer on Sat. 4/16/11, after driving the truck for forty min, the tire pressure monitor fault warning came on,
I called the dealer and they said "oh, that happens all the time, sit on it over the weekend and get back with us on Monday", "it will be just fine"...Warning light still on Monday morning, they ended up replacing four pressure monitor sensors on that Tuesday. After many phone conversations with the dealer and ford trying to get them to buy the truck back, they refused to do so..... picked the truck up from the dealer on Thursday night...Friday afternoon while driving down the road the truck had a "black out" on the instrument panel, the radio didn't work, the a/c didn't work, no guager at all....so back to the dealer, they are telling me it will take til Tuesday to get the part and should have the truck back to me by Wednesday. Any HELP, advice, ideas on how to handle this situation from here? I live in Alabama and AL lemon laws do not cover used automobiles
PLEASE HELP!
I will NEVER buy another ford

p.s. before taking the truck back to the dealer, I tried changing a blown fuse but as soon as the new fuse is inserted, it's blown

Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 PM
PeterSr
Junior User
Originally Posted by dw30504
picked up my new to me 09 f150 4x4 supercrew 5.4L from the dealer on Sat. 4/16/11, after driving the truck for forty min, the tire pressure monitor fault warning came on,
I called the dealer and they said "oh, that happens all the time, sit on it over the weekend and get back with us on Monday", "it will be just fine"...Warning light still on Monday morning, they ended up replacing four pressure monitor sensors on that Tuesday. After many phone conversations with the dealer and ford trying to get them to buy the truck back, they refused to do so..... picked the truck up from the dealer on Thursday night...Friday afternoon while driving down the road the truck had a "black out" on the instrument panel, the radio didn't work, the a/c didn't work, so back to the dealer, they are telling me it will take til Tuesday to get the part and should have the truck back to me by Wednesday. Any HELP, advice, ideas on how to handle this situation from here? I live in Alabama and AL lemon laws do not cover used automobiles
PLEASE HELP!
I will NEVER buy another ford
I suggest you wait until Wednesday to see what the dealer does to your truck. Just make sure that you get copies of all invoices for all the work they have done and probably will have to do because it sounds to me like they slipped you a "lemon." Never-the-less, all States have the same idiom: "Buyer Be Ware" and all of us need to follow that doctrine. We need to investigate eventhough our rear, our stomach and our entire nervous systems are saying "buy it and worry about the bad things later." Once you sign on the SOLID LINE 'cause there is no dotted line, guess what! U R Stuck with the Truck and/or vehicle whether you like it or not. The best thing to do is be aware and cover all the things that worry you or may come back to haunt you after you have made the purchase. Good luck. I don't think it is anything major. Just get it fixed and enjoy your Ford Truck.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Boss84
New User
Hey Everybody, I'm new on the forum, my name is Steve and I come from montreal (french canada). I'll try my best to write a good english so I can be understood.

I bougth a 2010 Lincoln Navigator L with 35000miles, beside the motor knocking noise (wich is now fixed) everything run nice.

I go to chicago from montreal (16hours ride 80mph) and my truck start to shake a little bit so I think to myself it migth be the tires that need to be re-balanced. I go to a local garage and they tell me the tire was way out of wack and they do it properly. They install my tire back and they tigth it with the tork wrench.

I keep driving but the sligth vibration is still there. I try to put it tow/haul it doesn't change nothing, I try to put on neutral as it shake and nothing change, I put the 4x4 auto and 4x4 lock it's just the same. I try to run with my air suspension off and it doen't make no difference at all. So far I don't have any warning ligth and the vibration is not too much. I chek my tire pressure the next morning (cold) it's 35psi (wich is what they say on my door sticker) so everything should be good.

More I drive and worse the vibration is getting, I think that maybe I should rebalance it to somewhere more specialize in that but I'm only 5hours from home so I decide to wait.

I notice that when I got from 65mph to 85mph it's shaking a little bit less then when I release the gas pedal when I reached 85mph.

after driving an hour with a big shaking I got a sensor fault ligth coming on and flashing. I stop, close my ignition and start it back and go back on the road without the ligth. 30minutes after my ligth come back on the same way and stay on, my tire pressure is just the same on all the tires.

I arrive home I disconect the battery and plug it back same thing sensor comming on even before I ride it.

Sorry for this long message I want to give as much precision as I can.

So is it possible that bad balanced tire cause a vibration so bad that the sensors ar all going nuts?

Is it possible that my air suspension cause me problem?

Is it the sensors itself that are loose on the rim and cosing that vibration?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:25 PM
fordguysofar
New User
Guys, the solution might be simpler than what is being suggested here. I ran into this problem recently and found this video:

Basically, it is being suggested that small and unsuspecting devices could interfere with the signal given out by the sensor. Examples include cheap phone chargers. Now that I think of it, the problem in my case did start some time after I purchased such a device. I am not sure if this is going to get the job done, but worth a try.