Who here uses a Electric Water Heater Based Biodiesel Processor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
captaincook
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who here uses a Electric Water Heater Based Biodiesel Processor?

I really like the automated units but I just cant afford it. Going thru a custody battle with the ex. Costing me more than I paid for my 2003 F250 4x4. Just wondering if anyone here uses one and if they like it. Im considering buying the plans off of http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/processorplans2.php

Is this a good way to go? I would love to but a unit from Murphy but I just cant afford it right now. Thanks for your imput and advice.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:04 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You dont have to pay for instructions if your practical about designing your own system. I started with a 55 gallon barrel brazed with a 1 inch fitting and a new 12 dollar water heating 110 element. Alot of pictures on the net and your brain along with your abilities and what you have laying around helps.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:08 AM
captaincook
Junior User
I kinda thought that, I just want to make sure I get everything right. Dont want to take any chances with my truck.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by captaincook
I kinda thought that, I just want to make sure I get everything right. Dont want to take any chances with my truck.
Check out http://www.biodieselcommunity.org They have free appleseed processor plans, and lots of info.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:25 AM
captaincook
Junior User
So once I build one of these how do I know how much lye and methanol to mix in with the oil? I guess I need to read up some more. Ive done too much reading on automated systems I guess. Do I just put my waste oil directly in the hot water heater? Man I am lost.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
The way Fab and myself make it is similar if not the same. I take all my info from Don (Fab) and have great respect for what he has achieved for himself and local farmers in his area. I have posted before the simple recipe but we have the likes of past members jumping all over us for not tritrating. Its up to you to perform these tests but in general it goes like this.

Heat 25 gallon increments of wvo to 150 degrees
Seperate container (mix for every 25 gallons of wvo) 5 gallons of methanol and 3lbs of Koh for 1/2 hr by mechanical mixing only

combine metholoxide mixture and wvo mixing for 1/2 hour
send to holding tank for seperation

That is the basics for creating raw bio. Next you will need to seperate the glycerine through settling, recover or absorb the methanol from the bio via vacuum or use of magnesol to absorb water and methanols. Filter magnesol via a 5 and 1 micron filter bag.

Recover the methanol from glycering via vacuum. 35 percent from glycering and 10 to 15 percent from bio on the recovery of methanol.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:08 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The water heater type appleseed processors do work, and are easy to setup, also if you have a old hot water heater you can cut the top off and make an open style with the heating element already installed that way just have to wire it.
I use an appleseed style myself and have been having good luck with it, then use 2 55gal drums as my seperating and cleaning tanks (first to seperate then into the second to mix with magnosol and filter) Bought my pumps at harbor freight for$28, but if your thrifty you can get free ones from I think Don uses ones from hot tubs

Old 06-23-2007, 10:07 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
He is right, its all essentially the same now. Once you cut the top off is it really considered an appleseed? Why was it called that? Rob has a great setup in a shed that keeps nosy neighbors at bay and its condensed and clean. I dont remember if Don uses hot tub pumps, hes got 2 or three in the back field. That is where I got mine and man there is no turning back to somethin slower. 30 seconds and Ive moved 50 gallons.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
I have 5 or 6 55 gal drums, I am in the greenhouse business. I took an old fan from a green house, cut the blades down so it would fit in the drum, extended the shaft so it sits on top of the drum and reaches 3 in from bottom, put a bigger pully to slow it down from where it turned in the greenhouse, and now I have a mechanical mixer. I used an old fan from when we upgraded, and built a motor from several bad ones I had lying around. Total cost of mixer: one $11 55 gal drum. I mix 40 gal at a time, b/c when I put 8 gal of methanol on top of that it is almost full, then shoot it out into a 55 gal drum, then start on another, I can make a 40 gal batch in about 30 min, then make another, and let them all sit overnight. I turn my electric hot water heater on the next morning and boil it to about 150-160 for about an hour, then let it sit another night. The next morning I have two valves, one about 5 in above the floor and one right on the bottom. I open the top valve and hook my $25 Harbor freight pump, pump it through my final 10/2 micron filters and into my truck or holding tank.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Umm, I hope your mixing metholoxide in a seperate container before adding to bio. I hope you have the oil pre heated to 150 degrees before you add the metholoxide. Please please tell me your doing it in that kind of order?