1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1998 Ranger 4wd lights are flashing (NEW UPDATE)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
00GT
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1998 Ranger 4wd lights are flashing (NEW UPDATE)

I already have a thread for this but i have some more info on this. This is important to me to get this solved.

I checked the TC motor today for power and nothing. So i checked for power at the 4x4 switch dial and no power there either. I checked all fuses with no luck. What i have noticed is when the truck sits for a long period of time or when you unhook and reconnect the battery and get in and start it up the 4HI light stays on alone for about 15-20 seconds and then you hear a click-click-click sound (sounding like a relay) from under the dash and then both 4HI and 4Low lights begin to flash again. I put my finger on the relays in the black relay box under the dash to the right of the column and the click im hearing is not comming from them. Now if you shut the truck off and then restart only after a few minuts both 4hi and 4low lights start to flash right away with no clicking sound. I hope this is something simple im missing.

Thank you

Old 06-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Shoot me an email (make sure to provide your email address) and I can send you the related wiring diagrams.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:07 PM
00GT
Elder User
4x4 problem

I checked all fuses with fuse tester today. I found that Fuse #28 is dead no power. The owners man. says its the GEM fuse. Shouldent there be power to that fuse when the truck is running?

Old 06-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
I just emailed you the wiring diagrams.

The #28 fuse is tied to the ignition and is supposed to be hot (12v) only when the key is in the "Start" position. Did you try replacing it?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM
00GT
Elder User
4x4 problem

Thanks for the diagrams

I changed the #28 fuse and made no difference. I checked the prongs where the fuse plugs into and theres no power to that outlet. Shouldent other things fail if the GEM's not getting power? Weird

Old 08-14-2007, 03:34 PM
00GT
Elder User
Exclamation Still having 4wd problem

I got around to taking off the t-case motor and i hooked up the 12v battery charger to the two power wires and the motor, seems to work fine in either direction. Like i said before if you let the truck sit for 45min-1hr it must reset itself because when you first start it either the 4hi or the 4low light will stay on for about 30sec while you hear clicking under the dash. When the clicking stops both lights begin to flash together again 6times. If you start the truck and shut it off and restart it again the lights flash right away with no clicking sound. Could it be a bad 4wd selecter switch?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 PM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Maybe a bad GEM?

Old 08-15-2007, 04:02 PM
00GT
Elder User
Exclamation Flashing 4wd lights

Could the t-case motor still work but somehow stop the 4wd from working? Is there some sort of sensor in the motor some where? Just seems weird after i removed the t-case motor and put the battery charger to it the 4low light comes on first with no clicking until i drive forward a few feet and then the clicking starts then both lights flash when clicking stops.

Also how do i totally remove the motor with the brown wire still attached the goes into the t-case. Do i have to cut it and resplice it back together.

I think i might be on to something.....i need all the help i can get

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Here's some background on the 4WD system and how it operates:

The four wheel drive system is an electronic shift 4X4 system that allows the operator to choose between three different modes. The operator can switch 4X4 HIGH modes at any speed. To engage or disengage 4X4 LOW the vehicle speed must be less than 5 kph (3 mph), the brake depressed,
and the transmission must be in NEUTRAL.

The shift motor sense plate, an integral part of the electronic shift motor, informs the generic electronic module (GEM) of the transfer case shift motor and contact plates A, B, C and D position.

The digital transmission range (TR) sensor is located on the LH side of the transmission, and informs the GEM when the transmission is in the NEUTRAL position.

The electronic shift motor is mounted externally at the rear of the transfer case. It drives a rotary cam which moves the mode fork and range fork within the transfer case between the 4X4 HIGH, 4X4 LOW and 2WD range positions.

When the GEM verifies the completion of the transfer case shift from 2WD to 4X4 HIGH (reading the contact plate positions), the GEM will then energize both pulse vacuum hublock (PVH) solenoids (supplying ground for 45 seconds). The PVH solenoid will allow a HIGH flow of intake manifold vacuum to the "wheel end hublocks", engaging the wheel end hubs to the front differential and transfer case to achieve four wheel drive.

When the GEM verifies the completion of the transfer case shift from 4X4 HIGH to 2WD (reading the contact plate positions), the GEM will then energize only one (low vacuum solenoid) of the PVH solenoids (supplying a ground for 10 seconds). The PVH solenoid will allow a "LOW" flow of intake manifold vacuum to the wheel end vacuum hublocks, disengaging the wheel end hubs from the front differential and transfer case to achieve two wheel drive.

The 4X4 shift motor uses a module containing two relays which, under control of the GEM, shifts the transfer case shift motor between 4X4 HIGH, 4X4 LOW and 2WD modes.

*The solid state clutch relay is used to activate the clutch within the transfer case which aids in shifting to 4X4.

Feature inputs:

- 4WD mode switch.
- Vehicle speed signal (transmitted from the ABS module [4WABS only] or GEM [RABS only])
- Output shaft (OSS) speed sensors.
- Contact plate position inputs A, B, C, D.

Feature outputs:

- Solid state clutch relay (pulse width modulated signal: grounded when the relay is on, battery potential when relay is off).

*Shifts into 4X4 HIGH can be made at any speed. Listed below are the inputs and outputs needed by the GEM to execute a change between any of these modes.

Feature inputs:

- 4X4 mode switch.

Feature Outputs:

- 4X4 shift motor relay outputs.
- Solid state clutch relay (pulse width modulated signal; grounded when relay is on, battery potential when relay is off).
- Cluster indicators (ground when activated, open circuit when deactivated).

*When shifting into or out of LOW range, the GEM requires that the vehicle speed is less than 5 kph (3 mph), the brake is applied, and the transmission is in NEUTRAL.

Feature inputs:

- 4X4 mode switch.
- Vehicle speed signal (transmitted from the ABS module [4WABS only] or GEM [RABS only]).
- Brake input (battery voltage when brake is depressed, open circuit when not activated).
- Digital TR sensor (ground when transmission is in NEUTRAL, open circuit otherwise).
- Start/clutch depressed input.

Feature outputs:

- 4X4 shift motor relay outputs.
- Cluster indicators (ground when activated, open circuit when deactivated).

Problem: The Vehicle Does Not Shift Between 2WD and 4WD Modes Properly. Possible causes:

- 4WD mode switch.
- Electric shift relay.
- Electronic shift control module.
- GEM.
- Circuitry.
- Transfer case shift motor.
- Transfer case electric clutch.
- Transfer case mechanism.