Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

Remembering Memorial Day...some thoughts..

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:07 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remembering Memorial Day...some thoughts..

Folks as I finished up my work here today at The Homeplace I got to thinking about what Memorial Day means to me and wished to share it with ya'll. As I take a keen interest in our nations history...Memorial Day for me begins way back in 1775. At that time our new nation decided they'd had enough of jolly old England and announced their independence. A rag-tag nation with no standing army went up against the largest and best trained army in the world at that time. Farmers, bakers, and just plain common folks stood side to side..and by damn they won that war! Many wars followed and many more lives were lost..and all in the name if independence. Freedom! Our own country went to war within' itself..brother against brother and fathers against sons. And yet the wars were not over. Even today the wars continue and our nation fights for them that cannot defend theirselfs...and to protect ourselfs. Unfortunatly war will never end..it is a part of mankind itself and un-avoidable. Here are some thoughts to ponder. Our Bill of Rights as citizens not only guarantees us the right to bear arms..it requires it..by law. That law has never been rescinded..it is still a requirement of U.S. citizenship. And for good reason! And another thought...our news media today..not that they are opinionated and not serving the people..tend to only look on the dark side of war. They don't print the upside of our work in many countries. They'd rather dote on the American deaths due to this war....nearly 3000 at last count. Allow me to put that into perspective if you will. The war in The Middle East, with U.S involvement, has been going on since (roughly) 1991. (In reality these folks have been fighting since the time of Genesis.) American losses are at about 3500 at present. On the other hand....sit back and reflect on this fact...just a few miles from my home back during The Civil War there was a battle. This battle began at daybreak and ever 30 seconds a man fell either dead or mortally wounded. 2 men died every minute...120 men died every hour..the battle lasted for 11 hours. Do the math. Freedom does not come cheap nor easilly. Remember these men and women this weekend and pay them homage. Remember Memorial Day. Audie..the oldfart...

Old 05-27-2007, 08:43 AM
78workhorse
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with ya Audie. Alot of times we don't realize the sacrifice others have made for us. Parents, Grandparents, members of our armed forces, etc. Take the time to say thanks to a vet. Shake their hand. If you're lucky enough to run into one of the old timers (No disrespect)listen to a story or 2. They are fascinating. Most of them just kids when they went off to war. I couldn't imagine being 16, 17, 18, years old and being dropped off in a foriegn country and told to fight your way out. You are amazing and THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!