5'' DA Sander, How big on an air compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 PM
v8xploder
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5'' DA Sander, How big on an air compressor?

How big of an air compressor would I need to run one of these for a while? Im just getting into light body work of my own and wont be using this constantly...

Old 05-16-2007, 07:03 AM
cujo8
Posting Guru
It depends on what your usage will be of this compressor. Every tool has a recommended CFM spec and if you only plan to use the compressor occasionally then you can get away with buying a compressor that just meets the tools CFM requirements. You also need to consider what other air tools you may be using before you decide on what the CFM requirements are for your application. For axample, if you are going to be using a DA sander, you will probably be using a paint gun and each has it's own CFM requirements. It won't hurt you to take a break sanding to let your compressor catch up, but you may run into problems if you need to take a break while you are painting your truck due to the "flash" time requirements between coats. Compressors are not designed to run continuously and if you buy one that is undersized (CFM Rating, not HP) it will die an early death due to excessive heat if you over tax it continuously. Also a "hot" running compressor will generate a lot of unwanted water which is not good for anything.
I am getting ready to purchase my third compressor, because my current one is undersized for my applications. I do a lot of media blasting now and I am getting ready to paint a couple of vehicles in the near future and my current compressor is not adequate for these applications. I currently have a 60 Gallon, 3HP, single stage, 220v, 135psi Porter-Cable compressor that is rated to deliver 9.5CFM @ 90psi (~$450). I am looking to purchase a 80 Gallon, 5HP, 2-stage, 220v, 175psi Ingersoll-Rand compressor that is rated to deliver 14.3CFM @ 175psi (~$1250). I know this may seem to be a lot of money, but I believe I will never have to buy another compressor ever again and this compressor will save me a lot of time and aggravation. I hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
BigGrizz76
Senior User
at least a 60 gallon 2 stage is appropriate for a DA and other air tools...Home Depot has one right now for $399.00 (Husky Brand), or an 80 gallon for $879...4 year warranties, very good machines

Old 05-18-2007, 07:45 AM
cujo8
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigGrizz76
at least a 60 gallon 2 stage is appropriate for a DA and other air tools...Home Depot has one right now for $399.00 (Husky Brand), or an 80 gallon for $879...4 year warranties, very good machines
I would be very skepticle about these Husky compressors and I would be surprised if they were a 2-stage compressor for those prices. I just went to the Home Depot website and the only Husky 2-stage compressor they list costs $1699. I originally stated I was going to purchase an Ingersoll-Rand compressor, but I have since changed my mind. I have decided to go with an Eaton compressor which are made in Eaton OH. If you want to know how to compare compressors, go to their website and read about their compressors www.eatoncompressors.com. I feel they have higher quality, better performance, and more features than the IR compressor I was looking at a similar price. Like I said before, you really need to determine how you plan to use your compressor and what type of tools you plan to run. A DA sander can use up to 11CFM or more and you won't be happy with how it performs if you buy the wrong size compressor. The general rule of thumb to use to determine the size compressor you need is to determine the CFM rating of your most demanding air tool (Highest CFM) and than double the required CFM. Now if you only plan to use your compressor for a couple of small projects you can get away with a smaller compressor and just wait for the compressor to recover while you are working. I have been down that road myself and I am now planning to buy my third and final compressor. I use my compressor a lot and what I use it for requires a lot of CFM of air (Media Blasting, HVLP Painting, DA Sanding, etc.). Last Fall I sand blasted my 77 F150 truck frame and it took me for what seemed like forever to do it with my 3HP, 60-gallon, 9.5CFM@90psi compressor. I have three frame-off restoration projects in the works, so I know I will get good use out of my new Eaton compressor (5HP, 80 gallon, 19.5CFM). Good luck and happy sanding v8xploder.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:58 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
ditto above

most cheap compressors are twin cylinder single stage which is all I have...2- 60 gallon unit's and a 20 that i tie with the weaker 60 at my hobby shop. I'm currently running the heck out of my DA sander and you need air...they are very demanding tools. I tied two 20 gal units together for a while and that equaled about 10 cfm...not even close and the water seperator couldn't handle all the moisture so I had a lot of water at the tool.

Right now I'm using the 60 gal, twin cyl, 10cfm@90 husky and same thing. I have the 20 that i'll tie into it and try that. That will give me 15cfm@90 and 80gal. My unit at home is 13cfm@90, cost 185 at harbor freight and its a little better. Eventually I'll tie the 2 60's together for 23 cfm and the 120ga will allow the air to cool a bit more i hope...my compressor tanks get hot.

CFM is as if not more important than tank size. run 20+ feet of galvinized steel or copper pipe then put a water seperator before your rubber hose. Lube your tools often...I use mercon V...synthetic (approx)10wgt tranny fluid with a ton of cleaners in it.

If you can effectively run a DA you can run about anything and paint with hvlp.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's worth considering whether an electric DA sander would do the job for less money.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:35 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
I haven't seen one before but if you plan on painting then you will need the air anyway. HVLP's take as much or more air than the sander.

I use the heck out of the elec 1/4 sheet palm type sanders...love them in fact and could do without the DA if i had too. They can do a better job of finding low and high spots as well. I was using both tonight...got a lot done. But I also paint so....need the air.