RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We Want You! Folding Info & FAQs

Folding WOOT!

Info & FAQ for Washington Chapter of FTE Folding Team 53449

Folding@Home Project Wants Your Computer

(from Stanford F@H FAQ)

Folding @ Home is a computer simulation of Protein Assembly to discover cures for diseases caused by mis-developed proteins. Installation is a small download to configure personal settings by adding your User Name and Team Number 53449, and then automatically downloads a human-protein-assembly project to process a Work Unit.

The protein assembly simulation, Folding, works at the lowest priority, is user adjustable and does not interfere with operations like surfing, word-processing, or gaming. If gamerz have a "minimize" problem just uncheck the "Main Title" and/or "Logos Enabled" in the Configuration.

Downloads are OS specific.

Ford FTE Forum thread.

Ford FTE Stats at F@H Stats.

Ford FTE Stats at Extreme Overclocking (Our team will have full stats when we reach rank #800).

Current Projects Points of Work Unit Packets

SMP, multiple clients

ATI GPU processing

FAH Tools: Like Electron Microscope and FahMon for stats or multiple machines on a LAN.

Folding News and F@H Server/Computer News.

GUI vs Console Clients

Uninstalling

"Folding" uses an internet connection only to download a Work Unit Packet and later to Upload the results back to Stanford University; it does not need a connection between download and upload.

DialUp users may need to Check the "Ask Before Using Network" box in the Configuration menu, or the connection could be left open after transfer.

Folding will work in conjunction with SETI@ Home and other distributed-computing projects. The 'Graphical User Interface' GUI version download is the easiest, the 'Console' version is for command-line users and to run two Foldings on HT machines. A GUI client plus a Console client for SMPs. There are no server privileges needed, and online access is configurable thru firewalls.

What are proteins and "Folding"? (ref Stanford):

Proteins are the nano-machine workhorses of biology. Before proteins can carry out their functions in the body they assemble themselves, or "fold". Protein folding is fundamental to all biology, and the assembly details are slowly being discovered via these computer simulations.

When proteins do not fold correctly there are serious effects, including diseases like Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's.

Folding@Home is a distributed-computing project that works on any personal computer. The more processors the better, as the human body makes over 50,000 different proteins in hundreds of thousands of combinations.

Stanford's computational methods (algorithms) and large-scale distributed computing simulates geologic timescales thousands to millions of times faster than current time.

Since October 2000, over 1,200,000 CPUs in the world have participated in Folding@Home. Every additional CPU gives an added boost in performance."

=

-Proteins are necklaces of amino acids -- long chain molecules -- and the basis of how biology gets its work done.

As enzymes, proteins power our biochemical reactions. As structural elements, they make up our bones, muscles, hair, skin and blood vessels. As antibodies, proteins recognize and destroy invaders. For this the human genome has been sequenced, aided by Genome @ Home, which is the blueprint for all of the proteins in human biology. The genome contains the DNA code specifying the sequence of the amino acid beads along the protein "necklace."

=

Graphical User Interface Configuration Options (Win95/98/ME/2K/XP/Vista & Linux).

Setup: After installation, right click the Red Cog icon in the System Tray, then
-Add your User Name.
-Add the FTE Folding Team number 53449 .
-The "CPU Usage Percent" slider is a per-individual setting for your particular machine, somewhere between 85% & 100% works best. The more CPU usage allowed, the faster the Folding is. I use 98% on a FX-53 at 2.4GHz. Folding is an intense workout for our CPUs, and an Overclocked machine will usually, but not always, bomb out.

DialUp Users may need to Check the "Ask before using Network" box, so you will know that Folding opened your connection. Then you can close the connection when it's finished.

Gamerz: Uncheck the "Main title" and "Logos enabled" boxes, if needed, to prevent minimizing games.

To send completed WUs that might be stuck in Queue, Add " -send all " to the FAH shortcut 'properties' command string. ie: quit FAH, go to Start>Programs>Folding at Home>Right click the FAH shortcut>Properties then add the " (space) -send all " to the shortcut target string. Without those quotes. Then Restart FAH, and it will attempt to send again. FAH will automatically try and resend stuck WUs every 6 hours or less.

Looks exactly like this: "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH*****" -send all

a space before the -send all, no quotes around -send all.

Later, you can take the " -send all " out of the command string, though it doesn't hurt anything and may just return a message "Nothing in Queue to send" if the queue is already empty of completed WUs. The command does not mess with a WU that is processing.

*You can also send a single work unit stuck in queue, by typing "-send XX" where XX equals the queue slots 00 thru 09.

=

"Large" WU Processing

Check or enable the "...Allow units greater than 5MB..." in configuration. As of 23OCT05, the -advmethods flag is not used to get the "large" WUs. (-advmethods flag is used to receive Betas only now.)

=

Console Client Configuration Options for Linux and Windows:

-config
To change their configuration information: user & team names, whether or not to ask before a network connection is made, set up proxy servers, CPU usage (5-100%), whether or not to use deadline information, Machine ID, etc.

-configonly
Same as above, but will exit following configuration instead of beginning the simulation work.

-delete x
Delete item #x from the work queue. This option should only be used if there is a serious error with the current unit that the client does not automatically recover from. You know that it caused a crash. Never happened yet on my machines. If this happens, would you send FAH Stanford the FAHlog.txt file for it. Copy The FAH log and paste it in a post on the Stanford Folding at Home Forum.

-license
EULA.

-queueinfo
Gets information on any queued work units. It includes the status (READY/FINISHED/EMPTY), the unit type, the originating server, and the GMT times of work done and the deadline.

-send x
Send a result back to server. X is the queue position number 0 thru 9 that the completed WU is in. If there is not a completed work unit the client exits without doing anything.

-send all
Uploads all processed WUs if they become stuck in Queue.

-verbosity x
Sets the amount of details shown from 1 to 9. The default is 3. Use a higher number to see more detailed client output.

-oneunit
Instruct the client to Quit following the completion of one work unit.

-forceasm
Instruct the core to use SSE/3DNow assembly instructions if possible.

-local
Uses configuration files from the local directory. This option has no meaning on Linux, but is vital on Windows and Macintosh for running multiple clients on a machine. It instructs the client to read its config information from the client.cfg file in the current directory rather than on Windows from the installation directory, or on Macintosh in the Library/Folding@home directory.

Information such as the user name, team name, proxy information, machine ID are maintained in the client.cfg file. The flag ensures that processing does not conflict.

Use "-local" only if you are planning on running more than one instance of Folding@Home running on a multi-processor machine. Create as many directories as there are processors. Copy the ***** files and client.cfg file into each of these directories, run "FAH3Console -local -config" on each and specify the unique machine IDs for each directory, under Advanced Settings. From then onwards you may run each copy by switching to its directory and running with the -local flag. (Check FAH Stanford page for latest on SMPs).

-help
Lists the command line flags available

Linux Specific:

-freeBSD
For the Linux client on a machine running FreeBSD, see the Stanford Folding Forum FAQ for details. With this flag, all Cores downloaded will automatically be branded as being a Linux executable.

Windows Specific:

-pause
Pause after finishing the current unit.

-service
Run in service mode for programs such as firedaemon. This prevents the client from exiting when it detects the current user is logging out.

Last edited by RexB; 04-07-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:25 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Took me awhile to update the FAQ and sori for the long read but had to keep it under 10,000 characters.

Folding is an Outstanding Do-Good Feel-Good medical science project that uses our PC's & MACs worldwide to find the causes of diseases caused by mis-assembled proteins. And there are a lot of them (diseases).

If youse guyz and galz have some spare processing cycles to donate, the Folderz and scientists around the globe would appreciate it. And a lot of people in our families too.

I never, well hardly never, try and recruit people to do something. But Folding@Home is one not to miss.

Last edited by RexB; 04-07-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys and Gals,

RexB and Snowbunny have been supporting F@H , Rex for awhile.This is a great project!...It is serving such a great cause that I thought it would be a great idea to help recruit more assistance through competition.

"New team Washington Chapter FTE' with number 65446 has been founded by placermike
(The team page will link to homepage at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188

Any client program can contribute to the statistics for this team by putting the number 65446 in the team field"

I know there is a FTE team, but I think if we can create some competition within the chapters, more can be acheived...BTW we can transfer our team points to the FTE team, which means we can 'kill many birds with one stone'.

Mike

Last edited by Placermike; 04-07-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:07 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
This is a great thing you guys and gals will be doing.

I can be the first target you shoot for. lol

Old 04-07-2007, 07:35 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Placermike
RexB and Snowbunny have been supporting F@H , Rex for awhile.This is a great project!...It is serving such a great cause that I thought it would be a great idea to help recruit more assistance through competition.

"New team Washington Chapter FTE' with number 65446 has been founded by placermike
(The team page will link to homepage at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188

I know there is a FTE team...,

Mike
Jeez Mike, that could be a good competition idea, but we in Ford FTE team 53449 have Folderz from all the chapters, over 90 members and growing, and over 130 computers on it. I'd like to Fold for Ford FTE, our host

Old 04-07-2007, 07:41 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Good point Rex, this should be a TEAM effort and not an individual chapter thing. the FTE team has steadily increased it's world wide ranking through members joining together and not seeking individual glory.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:12 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Here's where we stand now at Ford FTE team, out of over 59,000 teams past and present. We're whizzing by other teams and will break #800 in a week. We've many members whose immediate family has succumbed to protein-caused diseases, and we want to win this battle!

Ford Truck Enthusiasts, Last work unit 2007-04-07
Active CPUs 161, Team Id 53449
Score 535748, WU Count 2557, Team Rank 885 of 59056
Home Page https://www.ford-trucks.com
Fast Teampage http://fah-web.stanford.edu/teamstats/team53449.html

I understand that chapter vs chapter might get more individuals Folding (for a while anyway cuz there's a lot of dropouts), but would really like to stay with the overall forum's team and beat these cancers as a big team.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

I have mixed feelings about this as well... I like that even though we have individual chapters, we have come together, as one, on this project. I know several members personally and have "competitions" going with them already. So, if I were to change over and they didn’t, we wouldn’t have our stats on the same page. Just wouldn’t be the same somehow…

I mean, right now, I’m only 79/83, but I have two big units that will be done by Tuesday and that will make for a big jump in placement! My son is sitting in slot 47 and I just gotta catch him! May take some time, but hell, time I have!

Old 04-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RexB
Jeez Mike, that could be a good competition idea, but we in Ford FTE team 53449 have Folderz from all the chapters, over 90 members and growing, and over 130 computers on it. I'd like to Fold for Ford FTE, our host
We can transfer our points to FTE!...The FTE team remains, and all chapters can start a team that can trnsfer their points in suport of FTE...Take a look and give some thought...I will be promoting Our Team...#65446

Old 04-08-2007, 08:17 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Placermike
We can transfer our points to FTE!...The FTE team remains, and all chapters can start a team that can trnsfer their points in suport of FTE...Take a look and give some thought...I will be promoting Our Team...#65446
No you can't! You'd have to disband that new team by merging into the FTE team, for that to happen. So what's the point?

The big picture is to have the most Folders donating processing time, so have at it and Neptune bless you.

I'm sticking with Ford team 53449.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RexB
No you can't! You'd have to disband that new team by merging into the FTE team, for that to happen. So what's the point?

The big picture is to have the most Folders donating processing time, so have at it and Neptune bless you.

I'm sticking with Ford team 53449.
To competitive to disband the team...out recruiting CPU'S...LOL

Old 04-08-2007, 10:49 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
G'morning! The team formed yesterday?

K, the more the merrier.

Keep on Tr...er...Foldin'

Ford team stats

Last edited by RexB; 04-08-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
The Chapter's Folding@Home

After just one day, here is where we are:

Washington Chapter FTE
Date of last work unit2007-04-08 14:18:56 Active CPUs within 50 days1 Team Id65446 Grand Score5 (certificate) Work Unit Count1 (certificate) Team Ranking (incl. aggregate)29572 of 59305

This was just with my laptop working...I went on a recruiting spree with my friends and family to help the team cause. Have also got our one and only 'oneminizut' involved...If some of my Gov buddies help lend their support to our team, and each of you help, we will become the most supportive team for this cause...Join a great cause and remember that we are team #65446

Let us set the standard, by challenging the rest of FTE in this great cause. We may be one of 50 states, but have already proven that we are the most active, and like Army Rangers, can deploy and acheive at a moments notice....

Remember, that this is fun competition for a great cause. More have died from the issues that Stanford is researching, than any of the wars combined!...Please give your support!

Mike

Last edited by Placermike; 04-08-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:24 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Good start Mike, sorry you don't want to be a team FTE member.

Contributions by team and project:

Donator Placermike
Team Washington Chapter FTE (65446)
Score 5 (certificate)
Donator Rank 643006 of 673639
WU 1 (certificate)
Date of last
work unit 2007-04-08 14:18:56
Active processors
(within 50 days) 1
Active processors
(within 7 days) 1

Old 04-08-2007, 08:35 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Thank You everyone.I am a survivor myself this folding means a lot to me and others.

Quick Reply: We Want You! Folding Info & FAQs