1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1999 Ranger Air Bag Light Flashes Code 32

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:27 AM
karskrazy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1999 Ranger Air Bag Light Flashes Code 32

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? It seems to be the driver side air bag sensor. IS the clock spring the problem? Thanks Kars

Old 03-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome.

Air Bag System Code 32 = "Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High"

The most likely cause is one of the following:

- air bag sliding contact (clockspring)
- RCM (restraints control module)
- circuitry (shorts, grounds, etc.)

Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 AM
karskrazy
New User
Thanks for the info but can you tell me where the restarint contol module is located? Is there a way to test it seperately from the clock spring and can the clock spring be tested as well seperately too? Any help in doing this would be appreciated.Thanks again, Kars

Old 03-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Pinpoint Test J: Lamp Fault Code 32 (DTC B1932) — Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High

Normal Operation:

The restraints control module (RCM) monitors the resistance for the driver air bag ignitor by measuring the resistance between pins 3 and 4. If the RCM detects high resistance between these pins, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1932 in memory and flash a lamp fault code (LFC) 32 (or higher priority code if one exists) on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes:

Driver air bag high resistance could be caused by:

- a poor connection or corrosion in the driver air bag module circuits or the air bag sliding contact.
- an open circuit or high resistance in the air bag sliding contact windings.
- an open circuit or high resistance in the wiring harness.
- an open circuit or high resistance in the driver air bag module.
- an RCM internal concern.

Test the RCM:

NOTE: By disconnecting the RCM connector, circuit 614 (GY/OG) and circuit 615 (GY/WH) of the RCM connector are shorted together with a shorting bar. Do not remove the shorting bar.

NOTE: Zero the multimeter prior to taking the measurement.

1. Measure the resistance between driver air bag C255, circuit 614 (GY/OG), harness side and driver air bag C255, circuit 615 (GY/WH), harness side.

Is the resistance greater than 0.5 ohm?

- Yes, Test Sliding Contact.
- No, INSTALL a new RCM.

Test the Sliding Contact:

NOTE: By disconnecting the air bag sliding contact connector, the connector pins are shorted together with a shorting bar. Do not remove the shorting bar.

NOTE: Zero the multimeter prior to taking the measurement.

1. Measure the resistance between air bag sliding contact C218, circuit 614 (GY/OG), harness side and air bag sliding contact C218, circuit 615 (GY/WH), harness side.

Is the resistance greater than 0.5 ohm?

- Yes, INSTALL a new air bag sliding contact.
- No, REPAIR circuit as necessary

P. S. The RCM is located behind the center of the dash, below the radio. You may have to remove an astray or beverage tray to get at it. It's mounted to a bracket and can be removed as an assembly.

Last edited by Rockledge; 03-30-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:37 PM
karskrazy
New User
Unhappy Still having Problems

Rodk I guess I am unsure about the RCM and what it looks like. I have looked under the radio and there is nothing but the switch to turn off the pass air bag. I did however find a black box about 6/7 in. tall and about 3 in. wide that is located under the right side of the istrument gauge cluster and mounted to the fiberglass dash structure by apparently two screws. It does have a removable cover over it and once opened it has what seems to be several small relays in it. I think there were 7 of them. Other than that I found a square yellow relay under the right side of the steering column about the size of a turn flasher, that I assume is also for the airbag since it is yellow, and the plug it goes in is yellow also. Other than that I saw nothing else. A good desription of what it actually looks like would help. If it is that black box that is the RCM do I have to remove it to get to the wires you want me to check for resistance, or is there a plug somewhere else? I found two plug ins located close under that box that has a gray/white wire and gray/orange wire on one plug. The other plug does not have a gray/orange wire but does have a larger gauge dark gray/white wire and a green/orange wire and several others but not another gray and white wire. I did check the resisitance on the first two wires on the first plug and it was 029. I don't really know where to go from here. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks Kars

Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 AM
alan hodges
Senior User
Kars, does your ranger have a 5speed in it? It may be under the cup holder/ shift boot. I replaced my air bags and this is were mine was on my 99. good luck Alan

Old 03-31-2007, 11:42 AM
karskrazy
New User
My truck has an automatic on the column. Thanks