6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Code P0299 Turbo Underboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:57 PM
tiredlr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Code P0299 Turbo Underboost

Have A Code P0299 Turbo Underboost. No Lights On, Just Some Issues Like Excessive Lag, Stumbles Out Of A Corner. Wondering If Someone Can Tell Me If This Is A Sensor Issue Or If The Turbo Has To Be Replaced. It's Still Under Warranty I Just Hate The Thot Of Removing The A/m Goodies,and Even Worse.....being With Out My S/d

Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You would need to load the stock file from the SCT because they may want to 'flash' the truck while it's in. I wouldn't worry about the exhaust at all. The water/meth injection though, they could blame turbo issues on that whether valid or not.

My main concern would be confirming the service department where you take your truck has 6.0 Certified Technicians. If they don't then find one that does or you'll definitely regret it.

Do you have the stock intake on the truck?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 PM
tiredlr
Senior User
i do have a cold air intake AFE progaurd7, but I'm still inpossesion of the stock unit, for such instances

Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 PM
tiredlr
Senior User
Yes i do agree about the certified techs. I had it to 2 different dealerships when my head gaskets went. i finally bit the bullet and put in the ARP headstuds and Hypermax gaskets, since i'm sure my mods were partially responsible.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:58 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well i can tell you it is a sensor issue or that the turbo needs replacing, and probably still be wrong. cetain pids will need to be watched on a test drive to pinpoint the issue. it could even be a ypipe issue or a boost leak. good luck getting it fixed.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 AM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
Originally Posted by tiredlr
Have A Code P0299 Turbo Underboost. No Lights On, Just Some Issues Like Excessive Lag, Stumbles Out Of A Corner. Wondering If Someone Can Tell Me If This Is A Sensor Issue Or If The Turbo Has To Be Replaced. It's Still Under Warranty I Just Hate The Thot Of Removing The A/m Goodies,and Even Worse.....being With Out My S/d
Why remove the A/m Goodies?

Old 03-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Unhappy Me too . . .

I got the same code yesterday. Showed up when I changed tune back to stock. No boost, sluggish, poor shifting, etc. Like the turbo isn't really working.

Going in on Monday.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:21 PM
tiredlr
Senior User
Wink

Originally Posted by CanadaGuy
Why remove the A/m Goodies?
i DONT THINK THE SERVICE ADVISOR WOULD BE AMUSED WHEN HE SAW MY COLD AIR INTAKE,AND THE WATER LINE RUNNING INTO THE BOOST TUBE. *WINK*

Old 03-30-2007, 02:54 PM
tiredlr
Senior User
[QUOTE=BowTieHatr]well i can tell you it is a sensor issue or that the turbo needs replacing, and probably still be wrong. cetain pids will need to be watched on a test drive to pinpoint the issue. it could even be a ypipe issue or a boost leak. good luck getting it fixed.[/QUOTE

I DID CLEAR THE KAM AND RAN THE TURBO THRU THE VGT RELEARNING SYSTEM, AND IT DID SEEM TO CHANGE THE WAY THE TRUCK RAN FOR A SHORT TIME. DONT KNOW IF THAT MIGHT HELP NARROW IT DOWN?

Old 03-31-2007, 11:35 AM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
Originally Posted by tiredlr
i DONT THINK THE SERVICE ADVISOR WOULD BE AMUSED WHEN HE SAW MY COLD AIR INTAKE,AND THE WATER LINE RUNNING INTO THE BOOST TUBE. *WINK*
Why not?? I find it quite amusing when I'm losing my shirt doing a warranty headgasket job caused by mods...

Old 04-02-2007, 08:01 PM
tiredlr
Senior User
Originally Posted by CanadaGuy
Why not?? I find it quite amusing when I'm losing my shirt doing a warranty headgasket job caused by mods...
Are you equally amused when you lose your shirt doing the legitimate warranty work on these often problematic engines. I'm not amused when Ford denies a warranty claim, blaiming turbo, injector, head gasket failures on after market mods either. But all that aside, I for 1 did have my headstuds, and headgaskets replaced outa pocket. OUCH!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was kind of wondering how he was losing money by doing the work and getting paid by Ford. I can see how Ford is losing money but not the service department.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Smile Repaired . . .

Well I had mine in for this yesterday and they replaced the turbo and turbo oil drain tube. It had 19,241 miles on it.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 PM
tiredlr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
I was kind of wondering how he was losing money by doing the work and getting paid by Ford. I can see how Ford is losing money but not the service department.
The hourly time a mfg. pays a tech to do warranty work is much less than if they were actually selling the job, or (flat rate time). I think FORD pays somewhere around 13 hours on a head gasket job, and it takes more like 18 to 20

Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 PM
GR8TWHITE
New User
TIREDLR I had this same code come up on my truck, I took off the edge progammer and placed everything to stock and reset, drove truck for a few miles, no check engine light yet, But I did notice the Egr test on my OBD11 tool was always on. Any updates on what fixed yours? Any info would be grateful.

Quick Reply: Code P0299 Turbo Underboost