Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

does ANYONE here offroad besides me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 10:19 AM
oneofakind97
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does ANYONE here offroad besides me?

i REALLY need to find some new places. i usually wheel up in the quakertown area at a place we call "the brickyard" which is an old quarry that is completely full of water, which is actually quite dangerous. i have a few friends with fields, but we can rarely use them due to angry parents. so does anyone here offroad and have some good LEGAL spots that we wont be chased out of or fined for being at? and if anyone is looking to do some mudding/wheeling, give me a shout, cause im always up for it.
-Dan

Old 03-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
There's really nowhere legal around here. Been to the brickyard in my brothers truck, and had a friend in his truck on "lookout". My cell rang after he saw a cop run and get into his car at the industrial complex just west of the brickyard. We headed out of there and passed the cop out on Mill st. heading opposite directions, with my bro's truck covered in fresh mud. Pays to have a lookout. Went back to my buddies house, and while we were talking in the driveway, the same cop went by, nice and slow, but never stopped. Neither of us have gone near there since. I don't take my truck down any more than logging roads, but theres none around here. I'm building a Jeep CJ 7 to wheel, but that will go to Paragon, since there's really nowhere else to go. Hopefully Paragon wins their battle with the crooked landlord.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
yeah, not much around to do much....if your into 4-wheeling with 4-wheelers....Ashland, Pa has hundreds of miles of trails....i go up there regularly....good time and were on new trails all the time....nice area...

Old 03-26-2007, 04:31 PM
oneofakind97
Senior User
haha ferguson, i actually did get pulled over after a stint at the brickyard. i was there for a good hour without anyone saying a word. people driving by on the road were laughing and stuff and when i finally left, i passed a cop like right before you turn back onto 313, but he didnt follow me. about 2 hours later, i was driving through dublin to go home and wash the truck and a cop pulled me over right past landis fence. he said he got a complaint about someone dragging mud on some road, but it was no where near where i was. even though my truck was covered from top to bottom in wet mud, he let me go with a warning after taking my info. after finding out that the lake in the middle is actually an abandoned quarry, im really reluctant to go back there. one of my buddies was trying to get me to drive across it without knowing it was a quarry. thank god i didnt.

i do have a few friends that own farm land, but its so tough to get onto. thats really what im looking for. someone that owns alot of property who doesnt care if people mud on it, but theyre few and far between.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
What you need to locate is a farm that has some wooded property that the owner wouldn't mind a few access trails through. But since they are trying to develop every farm around here that ain't easy either. My grandfathers farm only has 1 wooded acre and its got a trail through it, but after 1 ride through its boring, just not enough area. Good enough to trial run the jeep before P-gon, but thats about it. I'd love somewhere legal to wheel around here, it's just next to impossible to find anyone willing to allow it. And everywhere else you get chased out of.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 PM
bas157
Junior User
There is Paragon (for now) Rausch Creek, and also Reading Anthracite.
Below is a post I found online, not sure if it is still accurate or what....haven't heard much about it lately
"It's $100 for the calendar year, on any of their non-active or posted land. The 4x4 permit is good for hunting as well.

You'll need to bring your drivers license, Registration and Proof of Insurance.

They have a limit of 1000 permits, and this is the first year for the 4x4. Last time I heard (couple days ago) they were at #60, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Reading Anthracite
Donna Kemfort
200 Mahantongo St, Pottsville, PA 17901"

Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
oneofakind97
Senior User
wow, that doesnt seem too bad. im actually heading up to reading this friday to play a show, but its about an hour and a half away from my house. i dunno if itd be worth it in the cost of gas and everything.

ive actually thrown some ideas around at my friends about getting together and buying a peice of land and just wheeling on it. somehow, it seems really expensive, so i think it'll stay a joke for now.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:21 PM
bas157
Junior User
I think the one catch with the reading land is that it is $100 per person. So if you want to bring a friend just once, they'd have to pay $100. Pretty sure that was one of the big issues on the one board I frequent. If you can get up there a bunch of times, it would be worth it.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
I've done some looking into the reading anthracite, and it does sound good if you could get there enough. Unfortunately, you'd have to get in to see if the terrain was really worth the cash. Still kicking it around, maybe a drive by could help some, but my wheeler ain't done yet. I'm not so fond of the vehicles having to be registered and insured either, I'm not into making my Jeep "legal", and really not into paying insurance on it, since I have a trailer to move it with. So, I'll just keep on kicking it for now, and hope paragon stays open.