Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Port Townsend-Keystone ferry cancelled indefinitely

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:53 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Port Townsend-Keystone ferry cancelled indefinitely

Can ya' believe that all ferry service is stopped indefinitely between Whidbey and the peninsula?
Keystone-Port Townsend ferry route cancelled

(Whidbey Record, Mar 12, 2007) -- Inspectors from the state ferry system and the Coast Guard examined the ferry M/V Klickitat on Monday afternoon during a round-trip sailing. Ferry officials said based on that examination, the Klickitat will be pulled from service until it can be repaired in a local shipyard. The state does not have another ferry available to substitute for the Klickitat.

The ferry is expected to go into drydock once space is available, but ferry officials warned that drydock space is in high demand due to the upcoming summer season.

Ferry officials said service has been suspended indefinitely.

"We know the suspension of the run will inconvenience travelers, truckers and commuters," said Traci Brewer-Rogstad, director of marine operations for Washington State Ferries.

"Unfortunately, with other vessels in drydock for annual inspection and repair, there is no available spare vessel at this time. We are working to review all options for service on this route as quickly as possible, but we are currently out of service," Brewer-Rogstad continued. "We at Washington State Ferries are committed to returning the Klickitat to service as fast as we can."

The 256-foot-long Klickitat was built in 1927 and extensively rebuilt in 1981. The vessel can carry a maximum of 617 passengers and 64 vehicles, and has space for 24 commercial vehicles.
They normally run two ferries there in the summer, why is the other one not available? The state has been trying for years to get more voter-approved bills to increase ferry/highway funding, and got the 9-cent a gallon gas tax increase last year. On top of the 4% ticket increases every year. Spent $148 million on new construction ferries a few years ago. The Klickitat had a 2$ million renovation and new engines in '82, and annual maintenance since. My BS meter is maxing out.

Last edited by RexB; 03-14-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well ya can still get of the Island. Can't ya Rex? you will just have to drive farther and use more fuel. Fuel is taxed and that means more revenue for the State. Just because it is highway tax on the fuel doesnt mean that's where it will be used.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
The ferries are part of the Wa state highway system for the taxes.

Who wants to leave the island? Not me -- but that ferry always has ~40 people lined up in the morning to go to work on the peninsula, and vice versa. And trucks carrying food and spare parts.

Lots of peeps won't be travelling here now, good. Coming off the peninsula to here, the other routes are another four hours driving to the the Bremerton ferry to Seattle then the Mulkiteo ferry to Whidbey. Or Port Angles ferry to Canada and a ferry back to Anacortes. Or drive thru Canada to Wa state then another 90 miles to the Deception pass bridge.

Less tourists this year, Yay!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
We have about 3000 tourists come through our community of about 25 home guards every year. If I hadn't got all busted up and lost my income. I would have the store up and going. And capitalize on it. As it is I do a little under the table boat rental and chartering.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:35 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Yea you got to get your neck/back surgery taken care of, and then ease off the skeletal stress afterwards.

The state ought to hire your boats for this ferry run now, they could take the voluminous walk-on traffic that crosses every day. They claim it's 2 million tourists here. At their wages and rental fees it'd be a money maker

Old 03-14-2007, 11:47 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Heck Rex buy a 40 foot crew boat off the Columbia River and hire a Skipper. After all the fee's and taxes you and the State should do quite well hauling 80 to a hundred people at a whack.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:57 AM
RexB
Posting Guru

Man that's no kidding, i'd only get about 30 cents off the dollar on that deal. And I can't imagine cheerfully greeting a buncha' walk-ons 12 hours a day. Puking in the boat. Falling over the side. Getting a splinter and suing me.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:23 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Not you. The Skipper. Ya lease It to him and it's his problem. You just rake in the cash like the State while ya sit on your ****.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry Update

My understanding is that a crack was found in the hull. They had did not have an idea when a drydock would become available, but last word was that one was made available, and the ferry is there.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:17 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Here's the latest I see on it:
Originally Posted by Seattle PI
Work on Port Townsend-Keystone ferry expedited

P-I STAFF

A ferry that serves the Port Townsend-Keystone route was put into dry dock Tuesday, one day after a crack in the hull plating was detected. How long the Klickitat will be in dry dock won't be known until the hull is completely inspected and the extent of repairs is determined, a Washington State Ferries spokeswoman said. "We know that the suspension of the run is a hardship and an inconvenience to many commuters, businesses, tourists and truckers," Traci Brewer-Rogstad, director of marine operations, said. "We are hopeful to get the Klickitat repaired and operating on the route as quickly as possible."

The ferry run is closed until the vessel is repaired.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/transp...317_tl114.html
Many peeps use the online ferry schedule for sailing times and availability. They haven't posted on the schedule yet that the ferry is out, so non-locals are going to be *surprised* when they get there. I emailed WA State Ferries to post the info there.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/sche...m?route=pt-key

Old 03-15-2007, 10:42 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
So where is Jared and John this morning. Did Jared get John's truck running? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
They mentioned in a new chapter thread that Jared diagnosed the parts that John needs to get to fix it up...

Jared's Da' Man -- Have wrench, will travel!

I'm hittin' the road to get some chores taken care of, see ya' tonight

Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Thanks Rex. I'll check it out. Than get on my chores as well.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:27 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Ferry Repaired

Port Townsend > Keystone Ferry Re-opened

Allright! The ferry was repaired quick by Todd shipyard after they got a drydock opened up. Quite a turn-around from the state moaning "out of service indefinitely" the other day. See what happens when the state put their minds to it? O'course it helped there were hundreds of pissed-off ferryies yelling at them to fix the dam thing!

Klickitat Repaired, Ferry Re-opens

SEATTLE (PI) – Washington State Ferries Director of Marine Operations Traci Brewer-Rogstad announced this morning that the M/V Klickitat was successfully repaired overnight at Todd Shipyard in Seattle and will return to service this afternoon on the Port Townsend/Keystone run.

“We are relieved to report that we can return service this afternoon at 2:15 PM from Port Townsend. Due to the commitment and collaboration of Washington State Ferries, Todd Shipyard and the Coast Guard, the M/V Klickitat was dry-docked yesterday afternoon and repairs to the hull were completed early this morning. Testing was successful and the vessel crews are preparing for transit from Seattle to Port Townsend.” says Ms. Brewer-Rogstad. “Safety is always our first concern, but quickly returning service to our ferry riders and communities has been a great relief.“

The Klickitat was removed from service on the Port Townsend-Keystone route on Monday after a crack in the hull plating was detected. The ferry run was closed for two days until the vessel could be repaired or another vessel became available to replace it.

Once the vessel was dry-docked on Tuesday afternoon, experts determined the crack was 6-inches-long with a 3-inch crack extending up the bulkhead. Repairs included completely replacing a hull plating measuring 18 inches by 9 inches. The total cost of repairs is estimated to be around $50,000.

Contact: Traci Brewer-Rogstad, Director of Marine Operations, 206.515.3430

Old 03-16-2007, 07:39 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Boy oh boy, Those Guys at Todd are something. We tell them we have a Civilian vessel emergency and the next thing we know they are shoving one boat to sea to bring ours in to fix a little crack. My opinion is those monkeys that are "engineers" in the engine need to pull out their millermatic 220 and weld that son of a B while underway. What the HELL is the pioint of having an onboard crew if they are not going to fix anything? I am not saying they should be done with it after an underway patch but that would have given time for a Dry Dock to be available and another boat available. IMHO

Quick Reply: Port Townsend-Keystone ferry cancelled indefinitely