Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Car with no title

Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 AM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car with no title

Anyone ever buy a car or truck with no title? If you did, how did you go about getting a title? Ive got a 97 Crown Vic I got at an estate auction and Im workin on getting a title from from the state. Theres a lot of hoops to jump through. Does anyone on here have a dealers license?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a bill of sale? I don't know how Nebraska works, but that is the first aprt. Being that new though, I would bet that the paperwork from the estate will be needed before even a dealer can help you.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:00 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Well Ive got the paperwork that says I bought it from the auction company. I just got sent a letter this weekend from the auction company and the lawyer for the estate and basically it says Im on my own. Im hopin someone else has gone through the process here in Nebraska.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, that's crappy of them, did they state it at the auction that it had a title? If they did, then you have some recourse there possibly. There has to be an executor of the estate that can sign off for you... may be worthwhile to contact an attourney that deals with estates and find out what your options are.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:26 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what the loops are, but my suggestion is to contact your DMV and ask what you need to do. You have a bill of sale from the auction and if there was no title to begin with than there is nothing that can be signed over. And yes, being that new, there may be a record on file and the DMV may be able to reissue you a new title from the previous owner, just give them the VIN # of the car. Does the car still have plates on it? They should be able to track down the previous owner from that also. Than you might have to get whoever was in control of the estate sign that title over to you. Each state is different in how they handle no title vehicles.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
I bought it knowing there might be trouble getting a title. I only gave 250 for it and I spent 100 for a fuel pump since it sat for so long. It runs good but the tranny doesnt shift into 4th gear. Its an ex-sheriffs car and I could part it out for more than what I have in it but Id hate to do that since its in decent shape.
The DMV has a form to fill out so they can give up the previous owners name. Im sure its still in the sheriffs name but I dont know which county its from. I sent the form in once but it came back cause it was incomplete. Now I have to redo it and get it notorised.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Have you tried using Carfax? It will let you put in the vin# and tell you if there is any history for free.... but if you want to see the details, then you have to buy the report (I think it was $20 the last time I did one).

Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
I thought about that but does carfax give out private info like previous owners names?

Old 03-12-2007, 10:02 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Come to think of it, I don't think it gives actual owner names, just the type of title (private owner, lease, corporate, gov't etc.) and the state/county where it was registered.

I was kind of thinking that it might show the county that owned the car... maybe they would have record that the title was never transferred to the guy you got it from.

Last edited by cowboywanabe; 03-12-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:05 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
UPDATE:
After correctly filling out a form I found at the Nebraska DMV website and sending it in with a dollar I finally tracked down the last owner of the car. Basically I had it figured out from the beginning but I had to get official proof. The last title holder is Dodge county. I figured that since it was a sheriffs car and there was an auctioneer tag that had Fremont on the address. After contacting them and doing a little sweet talking to the right person they agreed to get a duplicate title and sign it over to me. Tonight I will send the reciept from the auction plus 14 bucks for the duplicate title and hopefully by the end of the week I will have the title in my name.

Search this Thread