Jez how bout a little life here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jez how bout a little life here.

Ok, it has been about a week now since the last post so let me get the ball rollin. So here I am asking every flathead owner to talk about there collection and why they didn't do the easy thing and chop in a 302, like everyone else with a old Ford. I don't mind sayin I can't stand people who discard flatheads, they might as well put in a 350 Chevy for all I care. (sorry to whom I offend but I guess don't really care)

Anyways I have 3 flathead Fords. and feel free to look in my gallery pics of all.

I have a 1949 Mercury M47 that I started a resoration it has the flathead Ford which was rebuilt in 1966 then parked in 1976 somehow when I aquired it in 2006 it still turned over. It has been firing but I had a seized fuel pump, and the carb. is still dry so I just bought a carb kit.

I have a running 1951 Mercury M6. Not sure quite what all to say but the motor has a rebuilders tag on it runs fine and currently going through a partial restoration.

I have a 1953 Ford F250. The motor turns over but it has a rebuilders tag from a company well known to building poor quality motors that failed quickly, the body is also really bad on it so I don't know we'll see what happens.

Why I keep messing with flatheads, it's simple I have a Chevy friend who snubs his nose at any of my Fords, but when he heard I was restoring 3 Flatheads he was impressed to say the least. I love the sound of Flatheads both if they are whisper quiet and running smooth or if they are straight piped and louder and with a more unique sound then anythin else you'll find.

Last edited by Snowking; 03-11-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think you might have to yell there snow...they're sleeping pretty deep over here. but while i'm here i've got a couple questions. how do the flatties compare to the regular V as to cost of building them, amount of power you can get from them, longetivity etc. ???

Old 03-12-2007, 09:37 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Depending on your machine shop, cost is a bit more, but not that much when figured into the overall rebuilding picture. Power - it's tough to get more than 200 HP without major $$. Longevity is all about oil - about the same as any other engine.

For the past 5+ years I've run a 48 F1 daily that has a 51 merc 255 flatty. I've put somewhere around 80,000 on this engine, but it was used when I swapped it in and it's just about due for rebuilding.

Also have a 52 project truck that is all stock. Under the workbench are three 36/37 21 studders that I have to find a project for. One of those is complete and I think I can make one good one from the other two.

I love them for all their unique quirks. Sound, sight, simplicity of repair, rugged durability, and the list goes on and on. I was on a cross country trip, halfway home when I lost a waterpump and an old crack opened up in my original 48 engine. Long story short, I removed the thermostats and headed home. Added water to the rad as needed. Drove that way 1500 miles from central IL to nw MT. No way a modern OHV would do that!

Last edited by mtflat; 03-12-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 PM
soule46
Senior User
Cost big time! I have a '46 that has an 8BA in it that needs rebuilding. I have been looking for about 9 months for a 59AB block, because I would like to restore the truck more than build a rod. The only blocks I can find locally will cost $500 (and I take the risk that they are cracked!). Then I have to buy all the rebuild parts at 3-4 times the SBF price. The good thing is that all the machine work is relatively the same cost. For $500 I can buy a good running 302, though. I will probably stick with my flatty though, so that I can stay fairly close to period with the restore.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
cool, thanks for the info guys!!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Mtflat you got a real nice looker and a real good work horse there,
Soule you have a truck that when finished will put all of ours to shame.
Thanks for droppin in Sherm matbe some day you'll see the light and get a Flathead of your own LOL.

Can't wait to hear more stories I'm tryin to get this chapter goin again. It would sure be nice to have a group of regular posters even if not all threads related directly to a flathead motor powered truck.

So don't be shy waiting for more posts, if you have a Flathead truck or even if just a learner about Flatheads, lets hear some more stories lets get this forum goin strong again.

Last edited by Snowking; 03-12-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
i'm seeing the light there Snow...but its a pretty long tunnel. really right now all that stops me is garage space. but i plan to fix that soon...then maybe i can start some projects...maybe even a flatty...

Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 PM
oscarxyz
Senior User
Snow, we've meet briefly.
I'm learning more every week.

I've got a 48 just waiting for me to get my 60 on the road, so that I can spend more time with her.
I have not had her running, so I am still waiting to hear a flattie, but am looking forward to it.
I've got some time to determine what I'm going to do, but I hope to keep her original. I am working on the back half for now.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
That's what I like to hear a flathead V8 or 6 banger still at home under a hood I'm hopin we can also get more stories on here.
And yes I am hoping to see pics of your 48 too!!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:52 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just yesterday I got the fuel lines all hooked up to my new tank in my '51, took the 'ol flathead out for a spin in the back. It only has 1 good E brake so the road is still off limits. Engine is stock, has no oil filter and still runs great. I have a flat6 in my '48 but it need a tank and some carb work before I can get it to fire.

the V8 was running on what looked like stock sparkplug wires, I couldn't believe how bad a shape they were in but it still ran. I put on new wires and new plugs before I took it out. I do have a 400 I bought for $10 I thought I would drop in the '48 but these flatties are too easy to work on to scrap them that easy.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
I have 4 7H flathead 6 engines, and I may have a 5th by end of week. I just now finished rebuilding the one in my 51 F6 conventional cab. The kit cost $1082 from Kanter. That is the deluxe kit. The block work to bore the cam, turn the crank, and put it most of the way together was $500.00 from a shop right next door to me. I did have the distributor rebuilt, that was another $92.00. I had the starter rebuilt and the generator converted to a 12 volt which cost about $350.00 I ran all new fuel lines to it. I just got the radiator this past week, hope to put front clip on Tuesday and have it started on Wed. I have never heard a flathead so needless to say I am excited. Story Motors (Ollie) is going to come over for the first start to make sure everything is ok. He wants to time it. I will start checking in more here on a regular basis. I love old 226 or and flathead 6 engine. I found them not to have as many bad blocks. I tore 4 8's down all bad until the 5th.

Soule46 I have a 59AB engine which is tore down. It has been magnifluxed last week. It can be had cheap for a sure thing. It has two cracks from the stud to the water jacket but these are common as you know. I would let it go for $300.00 and can work a deal on delivery because I have to come to MN at end of Month. PM me and let me know if you are interested.

Kevin

Old 03-18-2007, 09:59 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
I also had the carb rebuilt $40.00 plus $15.00 for the kit. Can't beat that price. Again Story Motors in Massillon Ohio. I like to plug my neighbor. He and his brother have been rebuilding these engines a long time. They did three this past week for restorers here in Ohio.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:31 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Snowking,

Check out my Gallery '53 (239) Under 20" of Minnesota snow.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Wow I'm impreesed to a start of a project that truck is better then the stuff I'm trying to piece together. The 53's were nice truck and yours don't look like it lost much of that factory flare.

I'm curious to your plans on it, and what kinda shape the motor is. Incase if you're debating a swap I'm sure there are a few of us here that can change your mind.

Good stuff I'm up north in Canada so I know what snow is to. LOL

Old 03-22-2007, 08:34 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck I call it H2, short for Herman II. There was a H1 about 20 yrs ago That was a '53 F250.
My plans for H2 are to get it in good safe running condition. I plan on keeping the flathead. It does run but I am not sure about its condition. It will need a new fuel tank and brakes. I want to modernize were it will make sense. Dual master cyl. Toyota power steering, rewire and convert to 12v alternator. Have you seen anybody convert to toyota power steering on a flathead equipt. truck? wondering about brackets and pulleys and such. I will add a pic of the Flatmotor to my gallery.

Quick Reply: Jez how bout a little life here.